follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 10-20-2015, 07:04 AM   #9577
vfrqqq
Ultra Senior Member

Drives: 2014 BRZ Premium, WRB
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
First off congrats and welcome to the club.

1)the esc should never spin up without throttle input. A wire must have been misplaced on your fts switch.

2) When you flashed the on board computer it resets all settings. Just follow the steps to reactivate the gear indicator.

3) Probably. Did you flash anyone's tune into the procede? If so we need to change a channel on it.

4) if you didn't load anything? Let's Load one in!

5) yup! That's an interesting side effect of almost all the tunes.

6) when I'm modifying my throttle mapping I have a usb connected to my procede that goes to my laptop. For your version of the procede you would need a rs232 to usb wire. And just leave it connected and run the wire to your glove box. By doing that you can view what's happening to your procede as you are driving.

This will also helps us if it's your taps or the procede being incorrectly set.

Also triple check your connections at the controller: specifically the rc jr connectors. (The connectors labeled for procede/ fts throttle switch.)

Make sure the color wires line up correctly.

Let us know how it goes.

--Sojhinn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sojhinn,

Thank you for the quick response!

1) I got nothin' on how I got this to happen. Oh well. It hasn't happened since so I must have corrected it, although I'm not a fan of not knowing how I fixed something. I'll be double checking the ESC system connections.

2) Where would I find the steps to reactivate the gear indicator? Is that perhaps in a post by steve99? He seems to be a wellspring of knowledge in that regard.

3) So I didn't flash my PROcede controller at all. I soldered up the wire harness as you show in your video, with the exception of connecting the black signal wire to the PROcede connector that shipped with the ESC .

4) I am planning on connecting up my PROcede to my PC (yes a PC, not a laptop ), which should be an interesting exercise (i.e., moving my 20lb+ tower and a monitor over to my car ). This is why my last question was a semi-rant. Oh well.

5) Thanks for the confirmation. It would seem then that the raspiness associated with the 93 Oct ESC 2.0 tune is not harming the engine? I would generally expect not given that, from what I've read, Shiv has made the OTS tunes safe for this application. I'm only just starting to learn more about engine tuning so I am at a loss to otherwise convince myself of this by analyzing data logs and such.

6) Again

And of course I forgot to ask it in my last post, but do you or anyone else experience the weird sort of scratchy electrical noise coming from under the manifold cover when turning the ignition to the ON mode? I forgot to mention that while my Odyssey battery was at about 12.4VDC, my stock battery was at 12.8VDC so I'm left wondering if 0.4VDC is causing something to act up, which based on my understanding of electronics, seems like that shouldn't necessarily be the case.

I'm planning on flashing back to the 93 Oct ESC 2.0 tune and reinstalling the ESC with the FTS (I was back to stock over concern about the ESC not spinning up on startup and the OTS tune). I'll probably have to wait until this weekend to connect the PROcede up and see if it has a throttle map loaded into it.

Again, thanks for the quick response. Along with Robftss's development ethos and dedication to creating something that is focused on affordability and performance, yours and others (e.g., fenton et al) enthusiasm and support to the community of users, users-in-waiting, and others ultimately motivated me to pull the trigger when my turn came up.

vfrqqq

Last edited by vfrqqq; 10-20-2015 at 08:19 AM.
vfrqqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:33 AM   #9578
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I just turned on my ignition and listened under the hood and I too have a strange sound coming from around the manifold area. So I guess it's normal.
Your battery voltage however seems a little low. It should be around 13V.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:22 AM   #9579
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrqqq View Post
Sojhinn,

Thank you for the quick response!

1) I got nothin' on how I got this to happen. Oh well. It hasn't happened since so I must have corrected it, although I'm not a fan of not knowing how I fixed something. I'll be double checking the ESC system connections.

2) Where would I find the steps to reactivate the gear indicator? Is that perhaps in a post by steve99? He seems to be a wellspring of knowledge in that regard.

3) So I didn't flash my PROcede controller at all. I soldered up the wire harness as you show in your video, with the exception of connecting the black signal wire to the PROcede connector that shipped with the ESC .

4) I am planning on connecting up my PROcede to my PC (yes a PC, not a laptop ), which should be an interesting exercise (i.e., moving my 20lb+ tower and a monitor over to my car ). This is why my last question was a semi-rant. Oh well.

5) Thanks for the confirmation. It would seem then that the raspiness associated with the 93 Oct ESC 2.0 tune is not harming the engine? I would generally expect not given that, from what I've read, Shiv has made the OTS tunes safe for this application. I'm only just starting to learn more about engine tuning so I am at a loss to otherwise convince myself of this by analyzing data logs and such.

6) Again

And of course I forgot to ask it in my last post, but do you or anyone else experience the weird sort of scratchy electrical noise coming from under the manifold cover when turning the ignition to the ON mode? I forgot to mention that while my Odyssey battery was at about 12.4VDC, my stock battery was at 12.8VDC so I'm left wondering if 0.4VDC is causing something to act up, which based on my understanding of electronics, seems like that shouldn't necessarily be the case.

I'm planning on flashing back to the 93 Oct ESC 2.0 tune and reinstalling the ESC with the FTS (I was back to stock over concern about the ESC not spinning up on startup and the OTS tune). I'll probably have to wait until this weekend to connect the PROcede up and see if it has a throttle map loaded into it.

Again, thanks for the quick response. Along with Robftss's development ethos and dedication to creating something that is focused on affordability and performance, yours and others (e.g., fenton et al) enthusiasm and support to the community of users, users-in-waiting, and others ultimately motivated me to pull the trigger when my turn came up.

vfrqqq

2) here you go! http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6536

3) so the signal wire was never connected?

4) fuiuuuuuuu

Can you get me a video of the start up? Curious what sound you are hearing.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:35 AM   #9580
vfrqqq
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
2) here you go! http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6536

3) so the signal wire was never connected?

4) fuiuuuuuuu

Can you get me a video of the start up? Curious what sound you are hearing.

2)

3) Sorry, I wasn't being clear . I connected the black signal wire from the PROcede controller, but I did so by cutting off the femail radio jack connector and directly soldering a longer wire that reached out to the ESC controller and soldered to the small red wire provided in the ESC kit.

4) Yeah, its no biggie. Just a modest inconvenience.

I will take a video of the start up, but may not get a chance do so until this weekend.
The Following User Says Thank You to vfrqqq For This Useful Post:
Sojhinn (10-20-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 11:00 AM   #9581
vfrqqq
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
I just turned on my ignition and listened under the hood and I too have a strange sound coming from around the manifold area. So I guess it's normal.
Your battery voltage however seems a little low. It should be around 13V.
So the 12.4VDC was after the battery had been sitting since May, I think, and before I took it out for the test drive and charged it up. Since then, it is steady at 12.7VDC, which is only 0.1VDC off of my 1.5 year-old stock battery.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:04 AM   #9582
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
2)

3) Sorry, I wasn't being clear . I connected the black signal wire from the PROcede controller, but I did so by cutting off the femail radio jack connector and directly soldering a longer wire that reached out to the ESC controller and soldered to the small red wire provided in the ESC kit.

4) Yeah, its no biggie. Just a modest inconvenience.

I will take a video of the start up, but may not get a chance do so until this weekend.
I will go check mine in a bit to let you know how i have it.

Sojhinn he has a extra connection on his controller for signal from the procede. Rob now ships with the ability to connect either the WOT switch / OR the Procede control, They two connectors are different sizes so they cant be confused.
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:42 AM   #9583
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post

Sojhinn he has a extra connection on his controller for signal from the procede. Rob now ships with the ability to connect either the WOT switch / OR the Procede control, They two connectors are different sizes so they cant be confused.

Good to know

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Old 10-20-2015, 11:43 AM   #9584
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:

6) Again

5) If I remember correctly, that raspiness has something to do with the valve overlap, which shiv used to overcome the torque dip in that rev range, there was a big thread on it somewhere, and it is not just on the ESC tune, but all of his tunes

6) I don't know how the newer ones are made, but my version has a small 12v "computer fan" on the motor controller. When I turn my car to on, but do not start it right away, and when it is cold the fan rattles. I don't hear it over the sound of the engine running, and when the car/engine compartment is warm and I turn it back on, the fan doesn't rattle. I don't know what type of fan it is: ball or sleeve bearing, or how long it will last. I may have to replace it at some point. anyway, if they still come with fans on them, that may be your noise.
fenton (10-20-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 11:50 AM   #9585
fenton

Quote:

There will be one connection that you disconnect which is the wot switch cable, from there you will connect the little procede cable that you soder or connect to the procede black signal wire.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2015, 12:01 PM   #9586
vfrqqq
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
There will be one connection that you disconnect which is the wot switch cable, from there you will connect the little procede cable that you soder or connect to the procede black signal wire.

Yep. I have the WOT switch cable and the PROcede signal cable routed together to the ESC controller so that I can swap back and forth, as needed. So just picture the WOT switch connector dangling next to the PROcede cable shown in the image and that is how I am currently setup.

--

Whoops! I just saw that your image shows that, the WOT switch is just pulled back into the plastic wire loom.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:03 PM   #9587
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
and just for the hell of it. here is a video of the noise I get, it's dark because I tried to get the mic as close to the fan as i could. You can hear the frequency of the noise change a little as I touch the fan housing.

Old 10-20-2015, 05:48 PM   #9588
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:

You guys are talking about those wires. Im curious what the blue and yellow are connected to.

Installed Mods:
Old 10-21-2015, 09:17 AM   #9589
fenton

Quote:
You guys are talking about those wires. Im curious what the blue and yellow are connected to.
Those are connected to my new aux charger. No more stringing connections across the back of the engine and no more multiple connections on the dump packs. These two wires just run to the aux charger and your done.

The Following User Says Thank You to fenton For This Useful Post:
Sojhinn (10-21-2015)
Old 10-21-2015, 07:19 PM   #9590
keen as

Drives: 86 GT MT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
And of course I forgot to ask it in my last post, but do you or anyone else experience the weird sort of scratchy electrical noise coming from under the manifold cover when turning the ignition to the ON mode?
vfrqqq

I think the noise is the electric motor (like a servo) of the throttle body just in front of the manifold cover. My car does the same
keen as is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive