follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 10-14-2015, 04:49 PM   #15
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,384 Times in 4,138 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModBargains.com View Post
Only disadvantage is that I believe the KW's are twin tube, which is perfectly fine for the street, but isn't going to be as good when it comes to performance against a mono-tube shock.
[pedant]
I am suggesting a good twin tube damper is better than a bad monotube. Ohlins TTX36 are twin tube and I suspect these are of a higher quality than Ksport Kontrol Pro dampers which are monotube.
[/pedant]

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (10-14-2015), Racecomp Engineering (10-14-2015)
Old 10-14-2015, 06:44 PM   #16
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoked_on_spool View Post
I know there's always a compromise, but was HOPING there was a magical offering I hadn't yet discovered... lol.

I have camber bolts (aligned at -1 deg) and my current suspension includes eibach pro-kit springs with koni yellow single adjustable shocks. I was pretty content with that setup and thought it would carry me farther into owning the car (hence I was saving up for a supercharger) but after driving around my bosses M4 and feeling how tuned his TC Kline 2 way setup was, it put into perspective how rigid and unforgiving my setup is. I know these are completely different platforms, but every time I get in my car now I can't help but realize how bumpy it is over the same exact road and it's starting to annoy me a bit. I know this is a "sports car" and it will not handle like my fiancee's Volvo, but I'm not happy with these koni's no matter how I adjust them.

I've tried making it out to a couple different 86Cup events but they haven't lined up for me yet with work and life getting in the way. So far I've done track days with Socal Audi at SMMR (my boss was my instructor), then Porsche LV at SMMR and finally AROSC at Buttonwillow where they couldn't provide an instructor. I'm all about being open minded and listening to instructions and feedback. First HPDE was completely stock, over worked the brakes as it was 100+F and kept all the nannies on. Second HPDE day was 100+ again but I had camber bolts and the lowering springs and put it in sport mode to try and feel the car move a bit more. Third event I purchased a set of Mach V 17x9 and had 245/40/17 RS3's I tried out on the second day to feel the difference between the car on stock tires vs wider sticky tires. I'm buying a set of track pads and doing DOT4 brake fluid before the next event, so that's where I'm at in terms of where I am driving wise and looking towards the future. As i said earlier, I'm hooked on doing HPDE's and I want this car to eventually become a dedicated weekend/track car, but in the meantime, I'd like something I can adjust to be more compliant than my current setup on the street but be capable on the track as well.

Thanks again for all the input everyone. I'll be looking out for the next event to do ride alongs in addition to finding some local people in the SD club to see the street friendly setups.

-Bret

If you aren't even on track pads yet, just stay with your current suspension.
OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:11 PM   #17
P@ul
Apostle

Drives: JesusMobile
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
You have Konis? Put the stock springs back on... Hahahaha!
P@ul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:34 PM   #18
RBbugBITme

Drives: S60R/Corvette
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
[pedant]
I am suggesting a good twin tube damper is better than a bad monotube. Ohlins TTX36 are twin tube and I suspect these are of a higher quality than Ksport Kontrol Pro dampers which are monotube.
[/pedant]
A TTX is not a conventional twin tube. Very different layout.
RBbugBITme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RBbugBITme For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (10-15-2015), CSG Mike (10-14-2015)
Old 10-14-2015, 10:13 PM   #19
smg1138

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I've seen a lot of discussion on coilovers here. But what would you guys consider the ultimate DD/Track setup when it comes to a spring and strut combo? Maybe a custom valved Bilstein? I'm just kind of curious.
smg1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 10:28 PM   #20
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smg1138 View Post
I've seen a lot of discussion on coilovers here. But what would you guys consider the ultimate DD/Track setup when it comes to a spring and strut combo? Maybe a custom valved Bilstein? I'm just kind of curious.
Very very mild lowering springs + shock(s) of your choice that has the proper valving for the spring rate.

Or

Lowering springs of your choice + short stroke shocks designed for lowering springs.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
smg1138 (10-14-2015)