follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 07-22-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
Element Tuning

Drives: Hydra EMS Powered FRS Raven Black
Thanked 1,021 Times in 365 Posts
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
2012 Ultimate Track Car Challenge meets BRZ/FRS

It's that time of year again when Grassroots Motorsports Magazine hosts the Ultimate Track Car Challenge at Virginia International Raceway. This event isn't really about winning for most of the competitors, it's really about comparing vastly different track cars and seeing how your car may stand against some serious race cars.

This year unlike other years in the past Element Tuning did not bring out STi. A week before last years event at the Viper Cup rounds we clicked off a 1:55 and in practice ran a 1:56 flat. We are used to running up front but this year we have stock BRZ/FRS hp which dynoed 155 to the wheels. If you look the list of HP we brought a spoon to a gun fight! No matter it's a hot new car so why not see how it performs against some serious race cars.

Not as many Subarus this year but the strongest contender were the Turn-In Concept guys running 560 whp (Mustang), also there representing Subaru, Air Lift with their STi around 530 whp, and Element Tuning with a BRZ/FRS with 155 whp.

July in Virginia for the last few years has been extremely hot reaching temps well over 100 degrees but this year some clouds offered relief and it was in the 90s. The action on the track was hot however with Mike Skeen piloting an LG Motorsports prepped Z06, James Clay piloting the Redline Bimmer World M3, and a Viper Competition Coupe setting the early pace running in the 1:57-1:59 range.

The Turn-In Concept guys were still setting the car up and early on were in the 2:01 range. Our little car was doing what it could in the low 2:20 range in practice.

In the timed sessions things picked up and Mike Skeen and the Corvette were clearly the team to beat running a 1:54 lap on some fast Pirelli slicks and World Challenge Spec Aero pieces.

The Viper driven by Frank Lussier dipped into the low 1:57s just edging out Tony Wiesenhahn's WRX running a 1:57.34. Sneaking in was One Lap winner Nathan Cicio in his GTR at 1:58.21 and James Clay's Bimmer World M3 hit a 1:58.83.

How did the little BRZ/FRS do?

While we may have been out powered we didn't come here without some serious chassis work. 18x10 wheels wrapped in 285 Hoosier slicks.

BC Racing Suspension next day aired Element Tuning custom valved coilovers just in time for us to test them out.

Putting the crew (James Mulherin and Rich Cody) to work making suspension changes for me during the day in the effort to extract the most out of the car. I was making them sweat and earn that dinner

In the end all the effort paid off we ran a 2:17.44 which is about 8 seconds quicker than Mike Skeen ran in a stock FRS at VIR in cooler weather. I would say a very good time for stock HP and if the last session didn't start raining a little I'm sure I could have dipped into the 2:16s but it was just too slick.

The only other Subaru was Brian Vinson's Air Lift STi running a 2:10.97

The Ultimate Track Car Challenge for most isn't about winning it's about having fun but no doubt about it serious hardware shows up along with some fun stuff:

Got to love the custom overflow tank

While we would have done really well with our STi as it's 1 second quicker than last year's car on a short track I had a ton of fun running the FRS/BRZ and I think it's going to be a serious track weapon as the chassis parts, aero, and HP are developed.

Thank you to Andrew and Ricky at Hydra EMS America and Pete at BC Racing Suspension for helping produce parts so quickly for our race car.

Thanks,
Phil Grabow
Element Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Element Tuning For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (07-22-2012), Dimman (07-22-2012), Fly Guy (07-23-2012)
Old 07-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
Element Tuning

Sorry guys I thought the forum would shrink down the pictures. I have a ton more pictures of the event with many more cool cars. I'll also get some video up as soon as I edit it.

I'll also fill you guys in a little on the chassis, how it performed, and what we think needs to change on the BRZ/FRS to take it up a notch.
The Following User Says Thank You to Element Tuning For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (07-22-2012)
Old 07-22-2012, 11:34 PM   #3
civicdrivr

Drives: 2018 Golf R
Thanked 1,095 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Looks like tons of fun. Pretty nice times too for a nearly stock BRZ!
Old 07-22-2012, 11:44 PM   #4
3MI Racing
Pro Subie Engine Nerd

Drives: empty spot for an FR-S/BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I was glad to see you out there turning laps in the FR-S. Another one actually showed up Sat/today for the NASA event (you were still there sat, right?)...it's been a long weekend lol

It was my first UTCC but definitely fun. I was kind of bummed we couldn't turn the wick up on the Turn In Concepts car because of some suspension related (and tire) issues with putting down the power...but that's a good problem to have from my roll

So what's planned next for the FR-S?
Looking forward to seeing your in car!
3MI Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:48 AM   #5
Element Tuning

Yes I eventually stumbled in on Saturday and noticed the little problem with your car. Lets say for as bad as that was that went well. I'm glad Tony didn't end up 145+ mph into the tire wall like it did a couple years ago.

I saw the Aerenal Motorsports FRS registered running a 2:22 but I'm not sure the level of prep. Looks like coilovers and 245 Michelin Super Sports with a pro Jonathan Miller behind the wheel.

For the FRS more suspension tuning, Hydra EMS tuning, na power adders, and some downforce.

Thanks
Phil Grabow
Old 07-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #6
3MI Racing
Pro Subie Engine Nerd

Drives: empty spot for an FR-S/BRZ
Oh, I was referring to the damper limitations on valving for the power. The component failure on the other hand, all things considered was 'good'. Nothing major and more so, Tony is fine.

Anxious to hear what comes with the changes in the FR-S. I'm still waiting for word on the one I'm trying to acquire, as I told you after the awards on Friday. Really anxious to play with the D4-S system on the Hydra though!!
3MI Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #7
Asterisked Accolade
Pedals over Paddles.

Drives: Celica GT-S | 89 Supra | 07' Accent
Garage
These are wonderful photos and a great thread altogether.

2002 Celica GT-S Track Car | 1989 Supra Track Car | 2007 Hyundai Accent AutoX | 2003 Cadillac CTS Daily
Asterisked Accolade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:03 PM   #8
Element Tuning

Here is some in car video from the 2012 UTCC in our FRS/BRZ. As you'll see I'm getting killed on the straights but the braking and handling on our setup is so good I'm gaining what looks like 7 seconds back in just a handful of turns.

Here are more pictures also:

My buddy Joey Attebury's Mitchum Motorsports Camero out testing

I'm pretty sure he was kidding but asked me if I wanted to race with him at Indy. My response, "I'm not that much of baller!"

Believe it or not you might be seeing some Scion FRSs out of this group in the future. They should put me on the R&D team

So many nice looking Caymans:

A pretty fast Audi A3 you see blow by me on the straight:

The only other Toyota (if you consider the FRS/BRZ to be Toyota). Got to be a "Chump Car" as it has a wing made of wood at Summit Point. LOL! Sorry if this is your pride and joy, my bad!

A lot of BMWs this year as usual:

Rocking some stock hotness!

She's got a sexy booty!

Last edited by Element Tuning; 07-24-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #9
Element Tuning

I'll condense the video links I've found here:

Scion FRS Phil Grabow 2:17

Mike Skeen's winning run 1:54

Tony Wiesenhahn 1:57

Diasio Jason Lisner 1:58

Bimmer World James Clay M3 1:57

Last edited by Element Tuning; 07-24-2012 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Added James Clay Video
Old 07-20-2013, 09:24 AM   #10
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Arrow

No bueno for the Element FRS in the 2013 UTCC.

FB said had a pinhole radiator leak and was overheating. He put stop leak in it and kept pushing, overheated, probably blew a head gasket or something else, engine seized, stuff caught on fire... I'm sure Phil will chime in, time to make it faster!

xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xwd For This Useful Post:
ill86 (07-26-2013)