follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 09-29-2015, 04:58 PM   #15
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutter View Post
3. Random dead power happens to me. When I shift at very low RPM, lets say around 1800 rpm the next gear just feel likes it motor just idles. I know i dont have any power band but atleast when you press the gas you'd know the motor tries... what i feel is like the throttle do not response.

I think this is just because our car is so slow.
fix the load limit tables as per above post or waynos tune thread.

with the current load limit tables on C roms ie all arround 1.6 when you open throttle at low rpm load will rise rapidly, without the load limited the ecu will look up values in the fueling and ignition tables that will cause the car to run pig rich and with very little or actually retarded ignition timing ie it will try to run afr in 12 area and 0 or negitive ignition timing this will cause bogging and hesitation
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
continuecrushing (09-29-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 05:36 PM   #16
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayysonie View Post
Here is a little more info about the tune I am running.

My ROM is a BO1C.

I am in Michigan which has a huge abundant of 93 octane is readily available. I rarely run 91 and I only go to a Sunoco, Shell or BP. Mainly Sunoco.

I do have a drop in K&N filter to go along with my muffler delete.

I do see more soot on my right tip but I think its just more of the design of the delete.

I will try to do a data log and post here then probably detune to a 91 Oct Stage 1 tune..

I think the car is a bit more aggressive running 93 Oct while im possibly getting bad gas.
Assume your on stage 1 rom as you dont have catless header header

rom below is B01C stage 1 93 fuel with load limits fixed and with quiet start mods (since you have muffler delete. you neigbours will like you again.

donations are welcome
Attached Files
File Type: zip Stg 1 B01C 93 load fix quiet start.zip (536.1 KB, 111 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Kayysonie (09-29-2015), n0thing (10-10-2016), tato.valverde (09-30-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 05:39 PM   #17
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Stop lugging the engine around, this isn't an LS7. I don't think I ever really shift lower than about 3500 to get going around town.

Lighter touch on the throttle and more RPMs.

It's a gutless 4 cylinder.
OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OkieSnuffBox For This Useful Post:
headlikeahole (09-29-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 05:47 PM   #18
Kayysonie
Badass Member

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post

rom below is B01C stage 1 93 fuel with load limits fixed and with quiet start mods (since you have muffler delete. you neigbours will like you again.

donations are welcome
I was working on adjusting the load limits per your posts above but you beat me to it. The quiet start is a bonus. I was planning to swap it out for my stock for winter.

I love this communities response on other peoples questions.

Paycheck Friday
Kayysonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:28 PM   #19
Kayysonie
Badass Member

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ Limited
Quote:

donations are welcome
Steve,

I was looking at Shiv's tutorial so I checked out my Primary Open Loop Fueling and comparing at the one you sent me. I didn't see any changes.

I saw the quiet cold start change though.

what did you actually change? I am still learning as I go along but the tutorials have been helpful to some extent.

The top Primary is from your tune and the bottom is from the one I have been running since I got the OFT.

Also going home from work I did some WOT runs and city driving logs below

http://datazap.me/u/kayysonie/wot?log=0&data=1-4 - WOT

http://datazap.me/u/kayysonie/mix-dr...log=0&data=1-4 - Mixed Driving (city then highway)

http://datazap.me/u/kayysonie/city-log?log=0&data=1-3 - City Driving

From what I saw on those data, nothing unusual on the AFR, ST, LT, and adv mult.

I think my driving, shifting early is what really causing my issues.
Kayysonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:12 PM   #20
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Steve,

I was looking at Shiv's tutorial so I checked out my Primary Open Loop Fueling and comparing at the one you sent me. I didn't see any changes.

I saw the quiet cold start change though.

what did you actually change? I am still learning as I go along but the tutorials have been helpful to some extent.

The top Primary is from your tune and the bottom is from the one I have been running since I got the OFT.

Also going home from work I did some WOT runs and city driving logs below

http://datazap.me/u/kayysonie/wot?log=0&data=1-4 - WOT

http://datazap.me/u/kayysonie/mix-dr...log=0&data=1-4 - Mixed Driving (city then highway)

http://datazap.me/u/kayysonie/city-log?log=0&data=1-3 - City Driving

From what I saw on those data, nothing unusual on the AFR, ST, LT, and adv mult.

I think my driving, shifting early is what really causing my issues.

correct no changes to primary ol fuel table

reason is you dont need to change the cells shiv does if you correct the load limit table as you will never hit those cell in the ol fuel table

the new load limit table limits the load to 0.9 or less at low rpm below 2200 so you never hit those cells it also stops the ecu looking up retarded timing in the BASE Timing B table at high loads low rpm.

fixing the load limits is the better way, shiv did it that way as at the time the load limit tables were not defined (and still are not) in the OFT definitions.

the logs look fine no knock IAM=1 ltft are low values AFR is good
Old 09-29-2015, 11:10 PM   #21
headlikeahole

Drives: Ultramarine toyobaru
Quote:
I was working on adjusting the load limits per your posts above but you beat me to it. The quiet start is a bonus. I was planning to swap it out for my stock for winter.

I love this communities response on other peoples questions.

Paycheck Friday
Regardless of tune corrections, you should probably adjust your driving style as well. Maybe it was intentional but your logs show high loads at crazy low rpm. Theres no need to be shifting (or giving lots of throttle) at 1800 rpm as you mentioned.

I rarely ever cruise that low let alone shifting in that range. As mentioned above its only a gutless 4cyl let the thing rev.
headlikeahole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 02:35 AM   #22
moK

Drives: White BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Can those load limit changes be applied to a C rom without any other changes made in other tables?
moK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 02:49 AM   #23
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by moK View Post
Can those load limit changes be applied to a C rom without any other changes made in other tables?
yes just the load limit tables is all yo need make sure you do both and same valus in both
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
moK (12-21-2015)
Old 10-10-2016, 01:44 PM   #24
n0thing

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

donations are welcome
I just got the OFT, flashed to the newest Stg1 93 B01C map from openflash (no power mods on car) and immediately I noticed the vehicle bogging when driving from a standstill. With daily driving I normally rev to 1krpm and clutch out, but with the flash it drops to about 500rpm, the car bogs and feels like it's going to stall. It's much better now with your rom, thanks. I hope it's OK to use with my stock exhaust?

I'm planning to get Gruppes/OFH2 header later on. Do you know if their Stg2 93 uel or 2OFH tune files have a similar problem with load limit? I'm a complete newbie in software tuning so I've got lots of reading to do. Thanks
n0thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 02:39 PM   #25
bababooey

Drives: BRZ SWP Limited -6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
^ what you may be experiencing is the gas pedal not registering the first 30% of travel after the reflash. it goes away after a couple drive cycles.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 03:12 PM   #26
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
It feels and sounds to me like the tune adjusts the cam so it's more aggressive even at idle so the car idles a little rougher. When I drop the hammer that all goes away. If you want performance from this car you have to run the revs up. But I'm stage 2, no cats with a Berk delete and cherry bomb. I get lots of pops, bangs, strange sounds and burbles... Which is a good thing!

As for the soot, that's what internal combustion engines do. They create soot. A rich tune will create more, but you'd see that as a plume of black behind you when you get on it hard. I had a Gencoupe 2.0t that ran pig rich and when I'd get on it there would be a cloud behind me. This car runs much leaner esp. When tuned. The little bit of soot on our tips doesn't mean anything.
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 03:35 PM   #27
n0thing

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Actually I've done both of the following procedures in regards to throttle response right after the flash, but it still bogs. It went away immediately after flashing back to the stock map.

Quote:
Could try Jeff Perrin's suggestion of turning car on without starting the engine, fully press and release gas pedal 20 times, turn car off, turn on without starting again, press and release 20 times again, then start engine. No more ECU reset dead pedal.
Quote:
My Throttle Pedal has dead spot - car sluggish after Flashing Tune

To minimize any issues and speed up learning after a Flash or Reset

• Turn ignition fully off after a flash or reset
  • Turn ignition fully ON, do not start car, do not touch throttle, leave for 20 sec this will allow ECU to perform its diagnostics and calibrations on cam position and throttle position sensors
  • Turn off ignition
  • Turn on ignition leave for 20 sec then start car do not touch throttle
  • Let car idle for at least a minute and wait till it settles at the normal idle of about 750 RPM, again do not touch throttle.
  • After normal idle is achieved then drive car.
n0thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:15 PM   #28
Wayno

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
There have been several different solutions provided in these forums, including ones from the tuner. If your car still bogs at low rpm this late in the game then it's no ones fault but your own.
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote