follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 09-11-2015, 08:45 AM   #1
DVNARC

Drives: 2013 Black Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Shift knob vs a shift stick?

I already know you can easily place a new knob but I am also seeing people put sticks instead of a knob and was wondering how that effects shifting.

I also really like this katana hilt stick shift.

http://www.dndperformanceinterior.co...ant=1051381868

Last edited by DVNARC; 09-13-2015 at 02:11 AM.
DVNARC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:50 AM   #2
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
You mean a long stick style shift knob, like this
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5098/...a58d55df_b.jpg

or the actual shift lever? Like this

http://auctions.c.yimg.jp/img355.auc...fbier49182.jpg

If you mean the one from the first pic. Then it does jack shit. It makes your shifts throws longer. But looks cool to some people.

It's a ricer thing now a days. The idea came from rally racing where they had long shift knobs so your hand was as close the steering wheel at all times. What the ricers forgot it was connects to a custom super short throw lever. So instead of moving it less than an inch your hitting your stereo with those things. Simple mathematics would tell you it's a bad idea. Unless you have a super short throw lever to go with it. But they don't so it's purely cosmetic.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
8R6 (09-11-2015), daiheadjai (09-12-2015), DustinS (09-12-2015), Irace86 (09-11-2015), S84kam (09-11-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 09:59 AM   #3
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post

If you mean the one from the first pic. Then it does jack shit. It makes your shifts throws longer. But looks cool to some people.

It's a ricer thing now a days. The idea came from rally racing where they had long shift knobs so your hand was as close the steering wheel at all times. What the ricers forgot it was connects to a custom super short throw lever. So instead of moving it less than an inch your hitting your stereo with those things. Simple mathematics would tell you it's a bad idea. Unless you have a super short throw lever to go with it. But they don't so it's purely cosmetic.
+1 to that. Well said!
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:00 AM   #4
HotLavaFRS

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S / Base
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

I also think what they're forgetting is that those lever style shift "knobs" were on sequential transmissions that only require bumping the stick forward or back. It's not actually being thrown like a standard transmission is. Like you said, it was intended to keep the stick close to the wheel.

2015 Scion FR-S Manual Base / Stock
1970 Mustang Fastback
HotLavaFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:43 AM   #5
jawn

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,757 Posts
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quote:
Simple mathematics would tell you it's a bad idea.
Going to play devil's advocate here for a second. I use normal height shift knobs, so it's not my preference either, but I need to math here.

By increasing the length or height of a shift knob, you've increased the amount of leverage in the system. Although your shift throws become longer, you've decreased the linear force required to impart the same amount of torque. Assuming the same mass between the old knob and the new knob (which is improbable, given the weight of the OEM), it would be a perceptible difference.
jawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:01 PM   #6
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
If you want to get the shifter up higher near the steering wheel with a shorter throw pattern than stock that is more positive there is a way to do it properly, but it will cost you $$$ because you are replacing the whole assembly with a precision made German unit:

http://www.hardmotorsport.com/cae-ul...nd-scion-fr-s/

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDKXgShCcuc"]17.04.2015 Mettet - My fastest lap of the day - YouTube[/ame]
DustinS (09-12-2015), NLSP (09-11-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 06:34 PM   #7
DVNARC

Quote:

Well I really like this one if it doesn't harm performance

Old 09-11-2015, 11:14 PM   #8
Mr.ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawn View Post
Going to play devil's advocate here for a second. I use normal height shift knobs, so it's not my preference either, but I need to math here.

By increasing the length or height of a shift knob, you've increased the amount of leverage in the system. Although your shift throws become longer, you've decreased the linear force required to impart the same amount of torque. Assuming the same mass between the old knob and the new knob (which is improbable, given the weight of the OEM), it would be a perceptible difference.
Yes the you'll have easier time shifting because of the leverage. BUT.... The time you spend traving the added distance is the trade off. Then again how weak of vegan 10 year old girl do you have to be to need the extra strength to shif gears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVNARC View Post

Preformance wise you'll be going backwards. It's all for show.
Spend money on it if you don't like it, you can try and sell it.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:36 PM   #9
jawn

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,757 Posts
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yes the you'll have easier time shifting because of the leverage. BUT.... The time you spend traving the added distance is the trade off. Then again how weak of vegan 10 year old girl do you have to be to need the extra strength to shif gears?

Didn't say that I think it's worth it.
jawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:47 PM   #10
Mr.ac

I know, I just wanted to add a bit of a joking sarcasm.
I think it looks cool to have a katana hilt, but I know it's useless.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:07 AM   #11
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,289 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

Leverage and shift travel aside let's look at the ergonomics involved. A short shifter keeps your arm lower, the elbow closer to the body and your wrist and shoulder in a reasonably neutral position.
Every inch you raise that contact point on the shifter you raise the arm, force the elbow out, angle the wrist and shoulder.
Try it. Place your arm at shift lever height and position and then lift it 10"s straight up. If you do it right you will feel a pull in your shoulder. Add the highly repetitive nature of shifting and you increase the risk factor by a huge level.
If at work I could punch it up and give a risk rating but I know that it would be at the top of the scale and probably exceeds all OSHA guidelines if it was your job.
Something tells me that in a few years there will be a pile of ricers that will have some pretty sad rotator cuffs and they will have no clue what caused the problems.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:48 AM   #12
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVNARC View Post

Adding on to what Mr. ac said, this is for show only. By that, I mean car shows. Park, install, then have fun. Afterward, take off and install original knob. People with manual transmission have broken their katana/other screw on shift stick while driving. Even though the site says "stronger and more durable", I would not trust that to hold up..

If I were in your shoes, go with a knob.
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soulreapersteve For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-12-2015)
Old 09-12-2015, 12:15 PM   #13
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Have fun operating the reverse lockout with that sword handle...

It's the main reason I think long shift knobs are stupid on this car.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 03:57 PM   #14
DVNARC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Leverage and shift travel aside let's look at the ergonomics involved. A short shifter keeps your arm lower, the elbow closer to the body and your wrist and shoulder in a reasonably neutral position.
Every inch you raise that contact point on the shifter you raise the arm, force the elbow out, angle the wrist and shoulder.
Try it. Place your arm at shift lever height and position and then lift it 10"s straight up. If you do it right you will feel a pull in your shoulder. Add the highly repetitive nature of shifting and you increase the risk factor by a huge level.
If at work I could punch it up and give a risk rating but I know that it would be at the top of the scale and probably exceeds all OSHA guidelines if it was your job.
Something tells me that in a few years there will be a pile of ricers that will have some pretty sad rotator cuffs and they will have no clue what caused the problems.
I got the 6 for my 86 I'll let you know how it feels when it arrives in the mail but I think you're overthinking the physical strain like someone said we arnt 10yr old little girls...with this shifter I think the hand will be resting on the handle most of the time and the 10imch would just be stupid on the 86 anyways