follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northwest

Northwest AK, ID, OR, WA

User Tag List

Old 08-27-2015, 11:57 PM   #15
PNW FRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyQ86 View Post
Cool, I was actually going to order one but just wanted to make sure the plastic matches the bend of the glass to create a nice seal. I've been debating on ordering the 49 dollar one or pulling the trigger on the one made by the guy who sells them on here. Thanks for the pics and point of view. Looks great by the way.
Well, "my plan" was to go for the less expensive one first... try it out. Now that the wiring is in... IF I were to decide to go with the more expensive one that uses the tab mount for a "no adhesive" mount... it's only a matter of ordering it, remove the "Stang" light... and swap it out for the other.

But for now, I'm happy and probably will be "more happy" once I get the rear deck cleaned up. That bothers me more than the visible adhesive on the glass. For now... ;-)

(I have a 30" long Seahawks towel.... I think I'll try draping that across the rear deck for the short term....)
Old 08-28-2015, 12:31 AM   #16
Jonesy86

Drives: innovate sc frs
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I went with a password jdm rear deck lid and a roof spoiler. I also have 10% tint so i absolutely cannot see the adhesive. But i did get a $260 window tint ticket... ugh...
Corn fed, Intercooled Innovate sc tuned by vit viper, perrin crank pulley, raceng 72.5 mm pulley, Tomei EL header, Perrin front/mid pipe and 2.5 resonated exhaust, Cusco oil cooler, dual radium catch cans and more!
Jonesy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 06:19 PM   #17
PNW FRS

Phase II

Local upholstery shop will re-wrap the entire rear deck for ~$100 (incl. labor to remove and reinstall the deck).

Anyone have an idea of what it would cost to do a nice vinyl "CF" wrap on the deck? If I go that route, I'd want a matte (non glossy) finish on the wrap.

Talking to Luke about putting a mild tint on the rear window....and then remount the Hi-mount a week later (once tint cures) so that the 3m adhesive tape area and the inside of the light assembly are less visible.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:44 PM   #18
thehapaone
Wasian Ninja

Drives: 2013 Crystal Black Silica BRZ-L
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy86 View Post
I went with a password jdm rear deck lid and a roof spoiler. I also have 10% tint so i absolutely cannot see the adhesive. But i did get a $260 window tint ticket... ugh...
Wait a window tint ticket is nearly 2x the cost of a speeding ticket WTF

Previous Cars: 1970 Chevelle 350 (crashed still have in CA), 2000 Honda Accord Coupe (sold)
thehapaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:43 PM   #19
Jonesy86

Drives: innovate sc frs
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehapaone View Post
Wait a window tint ticket is nearly 2x the cost of a speeding ticket WTF
I know, right?!
Corn fed, Intercooled Innovate sc tuned by vit viper, perrin crank pulley, raceng 72.5 mm pulley, Tomei EL header, Perrin front/mid pipe and 2.5 resonated exhaust, Cusco oil cooler, dual radium catch cans and more!
Jonesy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:22 PM   #20
Jake360

Drives: 2013 10-Series FRS, 1993 Yota
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
i might have to do this, mine currently rattles on my window. i want to just rip it out
Jake360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:36 AM   #21
PNW FRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake360 View Post
i might have to do this, mine currently rattles on my window. i want to just rip it out
Rattles against the window? Did the 3m tape not setup correctly when installed? Mine is rock-solid on the glass. It's going to take some serious fishing line sawing to get it off when I go with the tint and reinstall.

Or did you use another product? I wonder about the CF version using the tab-mount (i.e., non-tape). I know there is felt lining the perimeter of the housing... but with only one hard-point for mounting... it would seem prone to vibration.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:54 AM   #22
Jake360

Drives: 2013 10-Series FRS, 1993 Yota
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW FRS View Post
Rattles against the window? Did the 3m tape not setup correctly when installed? Mine is rock-solid on the glass. It's going to take some serious fishing line sawing to get it off when I go with the tint and reinstall.

Or did you use another product? I wonder about the CF version using the tab-mount (i.e., non-tape). I know there is felt lining the perimeter of the housing... but with only one hard-point for mounting... it would seem prone to vibration.
whoops, sorry about the confusion. i meant my stock brake light vibrates on the window, and id like to invest in a brake light like yours
Jake360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:25 AM   #23
PNW FRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake360 View Post
whoops, sorry about the confusion. i meant my stock brake light vibrates on the window, and id like to invest in a brake light like yours
Gotcha.... lesson learned.... tint first... wait a week, THEN do the install. It will be a cleaner (than it already is...) look.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:19 PM   #24
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Installed mine last night. VERY happy with the fit.

I removed the deck lid, drilled the plastic rivets, ran the wiring down the C Pillar and reinstalled.

It's hiding under my HIC Visor and looks like an OEM option that way. Very pleased with the look. I cut my stock harness off of the OEM brake light, spliced it in, plugged it together, and away I went.

If I were to do it again, I would use a dremel to smoothen the hard corners a tiny bit, and spray a flat clear coat over the interior side of the panel. Nobody will notice, but I will!

I plan on using some black sticky felt like you did temporarily, and eventually will try to get my hands on another deck lid to try wrapping myself.

Thanks for the DIY, this was a fun one, I wish I did it during the day instead of starting at 8:30pm so I could see in. The C Pillar interior panels are difficult to put back on.
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 01:28 AM   #25
PNW FRS

update

Didn't like that the unit was so visible, so had Speedzone take it off and put 20% tint on rear glass. I spray painted the unit flat black and put new 3m tape on edges and after about a week -- so tint film could fully cure/bond -- had Luke reinstall the brake light. All good now - can barely make out the unit in the daylight.

Also, like others, installed a HIC rear visor... adds a nice touch to the top of the rear window and shades the brake light so it is more 'hidden.'

Upon looking at the pix a little closer, I might have one LED that is not 100%... but for $49, not going to complain too much. If it goes out soon, I'll contact vendor.

Last part of the project is to have the rear deck cover re-wrap to eliminate the depressions from the OEM light mounting brackets and also the child seat harness points. For the short-term, I have a Seahawks towel running across the rear deck.... if they can win a few more games, maybe I'll keep it there!! :-)

Last edited by PNW FRS; 10-24-2015 at 07:37 PM.
PNW FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 02:08 AM   #26
XanRules
A Very Powerful Wizard

Drives: 2014 BRZ LTD WRB (RIP), 2017 FiST
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I don't think I realized how annoying the stock housing was until I saw all these posts and now I can't un-see it.
XanRules is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to XanRules For This Useful Post:
15limited (11-19-2015), Ammunition (11-04-2015), Jonesy86 (10-24-2015), RustySocket (10-24-2015)
Old 11-04-2015, 07:02 PM   #27
DoomsdayJesus
In Autobahn withdrawl

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited Man., WRB
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
This looks gorgeous. How much did speed zone charge you for the install? I was already thinking of going to them for a front lip since I bit a few curbs.
DoomsdayJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 07:59 PM   #28
PNW FRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayJesus View Post
This looks gorgeous. How much did speed zone charge you for the install?
Not 100% sure how Luke broke out the diff parts (i.e., tint, install of light) but I think it was under $100 for the light install. You'd need to email Luke to get a firm quote based on exactly what you're having done. His rates are very fair IMHO. (Note: his price to me included removal of the OEM rear deck brake light housing.)

I bought the HIC visor online... I recall it was about $149... and I did the install myself using some blue painter's tape to help anchor the ends in place while I peeled plastic off the 3m tape. Key to the install is the use of the adhesive installer liquid (provided) and to do the install when ambient temperature is about 70 degrees (which wasn't a problem about a month ago.... not so much as of today...).

The matte spray paint was just some leftover stuff from Lowes that I had from another project. And for the reinstall of the brake light, I bought some 3m tape from O'Reiley's and replaced the "OEM" tape (torn during removal for tinting) -- being careful to remove as much as possible (quite a job) and then being very fastidious with how I applied the new 3m tape when it came to the "corners" (i.e., cutting the diagonal "seams". As mentioned in earlier post... I'd highly suggest doing the tint first.... then install the painted brake light (w/oem 3m tape) about 4-5 days later -- then add the HIC visor if you're so inclined. Speedzone needs an unobstructed rear window to cut the tint material to size. I was lucky that another 86'er was at the shop and we used her rear window as the "template." (Thanks again Michelle!)

Last edited by PNW FRS; 11-04-2015 at 08:09 PM.
PNW FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PNW FRS For This Useful Post:
DoomsdayJesus (11-06-2015)