follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 08-15-2015, 08:01 AM   #1681
Silver Ignition
APEXHNTR

Drives: 10 Series FR-S #1867
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnathin View Post
Unclear to me if there is a 'best' between those two and if its worth it over STs or KW v3s for $1500~ or $2000~.

I just wanted to touch on this one... ST's are basically KW v1's meaning there's height and "damper" adjustments.
On the KW v3's the height is adjustible as well but the compression and rebound are independently adjustible.
#1867 of 2500

in the garage...2001 Toyota 4Runner [Solid Axle Rock Toy], 1987 Pontiac Fiero GT [Shitwagon], 2004 Honda Interceptor VFR800 [daily rider], 1978 Suzuki GS750 [Café Racer]
Silver Ignition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 03:10 PM   #1682
justint5387

Drives: 4 wheels
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnathin View Post
Thank you Justin. Very helpful, it's easy to get lost in the sea of parts and options, so by knowing what to use or avoid helps narrow it down. My spreadsheet is at about $9k right now and I still a few smaller things left to add. The MCS w/ springs and camber plates is about half of that, lol. This is going to be a lot of money if I want to do it right.

Not sure what we are gonna do for next year. The options in Street are kind of meh right now and STX lets me fix just about every issue I have with the BRZ in Street trim. Plus STX looks like a lot of fun racing against you, Mack, Karlton, and the rest of SFR.

Thanks again, I'm sure I'll have more questions as I keep looking into it.
One thing about the MCS is that they are noisy and clunky. The KW v3s are a lot more quieter, cheaper, and does it job. But the KW feels like they aren't as responsive.
justint5387 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justint5387 For This Useful Post:
Jawnathin (08-17-2015)
Old 08-15-2015, 05:04 PM   #1683
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,929 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
I spent last winter researching and prepping, first year back out in a long while so coming along. So unsure how relevant this may be at this time, but probably enough to share. With wheels and such I'm just over $10k already, and there are some updates I may need to make (we'll see if I ever justify a clutch type LSD with driving to match...) I could have spent a little less on wheels, and I certainly didn't need the Sprint AP this year for the weight savings (but they're SUCH nice brakes)

Slowly getting better as a driver, we'll see how next weekend goes in Milwaukee, and how that leaves me feeling about how Chicago is going for me just now...

For perspective, my car (different driver, his first ever in a BRZ rather than his Corvette...) last event in Milwaukee was 0.3 behind @Scooby South and not quite 1.5 behind Hockerman and Leeder... and a very tough field up at the top of PAX where they were 4 and 7 (Cashmore in 1.

Intake, I'd go Grimmspeed or not bother. I have one, not sure it matters. I'd do it again just because it cleans up the engine bay so much, but there's probably a little power gain too.

Exhaust, only Nameless is 3" as far as I know and, while they demonstrated an improvement with 3" over 2.5" I'm not sure it's worth the weight or increased noise - and that's after going for a full 3" as quiet as I could find (JDL.) I think the torque band on Nameless or Ace are where you want to be. That's not to say others won't work out perfectly well - my obsession over maximizing options without the skill to back it up is speaking here I do like the sound, just a touch loud and WOT always gets a touch brash due to timing changes... I may need to add engine mounts though, since I'm dealing with rear subframe+exhaust contact under acceleration.

Coilovers, I wanted ride height and preload separate, and I wanted good support this side of the ocean. I might go a different route if I started all over, but I have a little room to go as a driver before I'm comfortable making an outright switch. And I'd be trying different springs first. I do think you'll want at least double-adjustable if you're serious, and probably pretty high rates. Last event I ran into some conditions that actually made me wonder if 3-ways would have been able to tune out some odd behavior with softer high-speed compression but... I doubt I have a clue. This seems to be where folks keep the most quiet, making it difficult to know what's truly fast.

You can dig up some goodies used if you're patient, and help keep the budget down (I did...) The sales are also obviously useful for that...

C
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:21 PM   #1684
e1_griego

Drives: Many
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justint5387 View Post
One thing about the MCS is that they are noisy and clunky. The KW v3s are a lot more quieter, cheaper, and does it job. But the KW feels like they aren't as responsive.
I've never heard that from anyone I know with MCS. This just for brz/frs? Or generally speaking?
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:01 PM   #1685
justint5387

Drives: 4 wheels
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
I've never heard that from anyone I know with MCS. This just for brz/frs? Or generally speaking?
Not sure, i think it may only applies to the non-remotes 2 ways on the ft86s. Someone else with MCS on this car had similar issue.
justint5387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:04 PM   #1686
e1_griego

Drives: Many
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Alright, well I guess I'll report back on mine when I get them and install them.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:09 PM   #1687
ksconekiller

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksconekiller View Post
Rear swaybar install question for the STX crowd: I put on a Whiteline rear bar this week, and the end link mounting points aren't anywhere near horizontal even with the end links as short as they go. I used the middle adjustment hole, so if I want to use the stiffest setting, the bar will REALLY be angled up. I can't imagine any other way to do it, but this just doesn't seem right. Thoughts?
Anybody have input on this? The arms of the swaybar are pointing about 40 degrees upward on just the middle setting. I've always been told they should try to be more horizontal. They would be like 60 degrees up if I went to the stiffest setting. How is everyone else's?
ksconekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:37 AM   #1688
autoXracer

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksconekiller View Post
Anybody have input on this? The arms of the swaybar are pointing about 40 degrees upward on just the middle setting. I've always been told they should try to be more horizontal. They would be like 60 degrees up if I went to the stiffest setting. How is everyone else's?
Mine's all angled up too, even on soft and med setting. Using stock end links and whiteline adjustable I didn't have any binding issues so I'm not worried. There lot of people using similar stock height end links like Perrin Kartboy etc and don't have issues.
autoXracer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to autoXracer For This Useful Post:
ksconekiller (08-29-2015)
Old 08-20-2015, 09:21 PM   #1689
em99sport
Corvette convert

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justint5387 View Post
Not sure, i think it may only applies to the non-remotes 2 ways on the ft86s. Someone else with MCS on this car had similar issue.
Same dampers here and they are noisy, too.
em99sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:31 PM   #1690
justinco
btr.life

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,094 Times in 491 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Thinking about defecting from my e36 STX BMW to a twin. Drove my friends STX prepped FRS at a TnT last weekend and instantly went a full second quicker (on a ~46s course), having never even driven the car before, than my fastest of ~12 runs in my BMW

Anyways, are there specific trims or models that are better than another for autox? Or, all they all the same?
Old 08-27-2015, 10:39 PM   #1691
drewbot
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S A/T
Thanked 1,452 Times in 752 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
For a prepped STX car, they are all the same

CS is another story

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
drewbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:55 PM   #1692
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,129 Times in 1,194 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinco View Post
Thinking about defecting from my e36 STX BMW to a twin. Drove my friends STX prepped FRS at a TnT last weekend and instantly went a full second quicker (on a ~46s course), having never even driven the car before, than my fastest of ~12 runs in my BMW

Anyways, are there specific trims or models that are better than another for autox? Or, all they all the same?
The 2013's have some first-year bugs and some minor engine internal issues that were remedied in later model years/subsequent tsb's.

The 2016's have gained a little weight (from other model years) from what I've been told.

In the U.S. all Scion offers is a base version (no specialty trims unless you count the Release Series, Monogram, etc....which is a little heavier than the base FRS because of add-ons, different interior trims).
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:35 AM   #1693
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,929 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinco View Post

I think there's a prepped STX car in the FS area...

It was a BRZ limited for me because my wife wanted heated seats. Not sure the STI bodykit matters, but with everything (maybe even just the underbody stuff) it's a tiny bit better aero...
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 01:11 AM   #1694
justinco
btr.life

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,094 Times in 491 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbot View Post
For a prepped STX car, they are all the same

CS is another story

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Cool. Planning to stay in STX, like the class a lot and already done a lot of CS too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
The 2013's have some first-year bugs and some minor engine internal issues that were remedied in later model years/subsequent tsb's.

The 2016's have gained a little weight (from other model years) from what I've been told.

In the U.S. all Scion offers is a base version (no specialty trims unless you count the Release Series, Monogram, etc....which is a little heavier than the base FRS because of add-ons, different interior trims).
Thanks, yea definitely want the lightest model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
I think there's a prepped STX car in the FS area...

It was a BRZ limited for me because my wife wanted heated seats. Not sure the STI bodykit matters, but with everything (maybe even just the underbody stuff) it's a tiny bit better aero...
I am watching that car in the FS area Don't want to make any moves until after I get back from Nationals though.