follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 08-03-2015, 04:22 PM   #9101
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
@fenton @Robftss anything from the weekend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:04 PM   #9102
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robftss View Post
http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-...ll/MC24EX.html

Make your own AUX charger.

These work great...~20% quicker recharge....add eyelets to input/output and bolt directly from 12V car to 24V dump.

Rob.
good looking out! You have no idea how much time i've spent trying to find this lol
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 01:14 AM   #9103
taiquach

Drives: 2013 scion fr-s
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
anyone running esc + procede with auto trans and what is your though compare to the pedal switch ? my car is the dd and i hardly go wot during the daily commute. THANKS
taiquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 01:47 AM   #9104
KoolBRZ

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Garage
AT with ESC and Procede, daily driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiquach View Post
anyone running esc + procede with auto trans and what is your though compare to the pedal switch ? my car is the dd and i hardly go wot during the daily commute. THANKS
I have an AT and will have a running ESC with Procede very soon. I just got soaz's used ESC delivered today, and started installing tonight at 7:00. This is as far as I got. See pics below. I had to remove my Skunk2 intake first, because it would have required adapters I don't have. That took over an hour. Then finding all the parts to reinstall the stock intake, then cutting off the rivets, then capping off the air chamber, (resonator?) that was in the way, then lining up the ESC, then trimming the connecting hose, then lining up again, finally buttoning things up because it got late. At least it will run now. I also had to change my tune back to using the stock maf sensor scaling, since I no longer have the Skunk2 intake installed. Tomorrow I start on the electric's. Wish me luck.
Attached Images

KoolBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KoolBRZ For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (08-04-2015), raven1231 (08-04-2015), Sojhinn (08-04-2015)
Old 08-04-2015, 04:18 AM   #9105
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBRZ View Post
I have an AT and will have a running ESC with Procede very soon. I just got soaz's used ESC delivered today, and started installing tonight at 7:00. This is as far as I got. See pics below. I had to remove my Skunk2 intake first, because it would have required adapters I don't have. That took over an hour. Then finding all the parts to reinstall the stock intake, then cutting off the rivets, then capping off the air chamber, (resonator?) that was in the way, then lining up the ESC, then trimming the connecting hose, then lining up again, finally buttoning things up because it got late. At least it will run now. I also had to change my tune back to using the stock maf sensor scaling, since I no longer have the Skunk2 intake installed. Tomorrow I start on the electric's. Wish me luck.
That's a lot of dirt man. How many miles are on the car?
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:39 AM   #9106
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
What kind of header is that? It looks huge.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:15 AM   #9107
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
What kind of header is that? It looks huge.
PLM (nameless knock off/replica)
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 01:40 PM   #9108
iJeff

Drives: 2016 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I get the impression that the ESC is significantly more reliable than a regular supercharger . Would it be accurate?
iJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 01:52 PM   #9109
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by iJeff View Post
I get the impression that the ESC is significantly more reliable than a regular supercharger . Would it be accurate?
Only anecdotal evidence for this AFAIK. But, IMO, Rob's Phantom ESC kit has many fewer moving parts, modifications required, and uses mostly solid state technology, so yes, it should be significantly more reliable than a traditional SC.

From personal experience, I've been running my ESC pretty hard since last February (18 months, time flies!). I've had no major issues. The minor ones I've had have largely been my own fault (melted controller wires against the overpipe, desoldered power switch going into the voltmeter, etc). The thing just works plain works. Any other owners care to chime in?
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
iJeff (08-04-2015)
Old 08-04-2015, 02:41 PM   #9110
Mrrksturr

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hey guys! Super excited as I am on the waiting list for the ESC. All I'm doing now is just reading the previous pages trying to contain my excitement lol.

Anyway, I was looking through the pages though and haven't found any solid answers yet. Has anybody had experience drifting with the ESC? How about with the ESC installed but switched off? Anything I should be concerned about? Just curious because I will be doing a bit of that and wanted to turn off the ESC but don't know how it would affect performance or if it does at all.
Mrrksturr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:55 PM   #9111
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
depends on your definition of reliable.
It requires less maintenance than a regular supercharger (no oil or belts).
It doesn't get as hot or require additional cooling like a regular supercharger.
Does it break and how often? As far as I know, and not including cases of user error during instillation, there have been very few if any hardware failures requiring return for repair. I do not know the numbers for regular superchargers.
Does it pose a risk to the reliability of the engine/car itself. To my knowledge there has not been or likely will be any instance of the ESC causing damage to the car due to failure of the system(outside of a bad tune). I do not know the figures for regular superchargers, but I do not think it is common, albeit more pressure = higher chance of damage.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:34 PM   #9112
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrrksturr View Post
Hey guys! Super excited as I am on the waiting list for the ESC. All I'm doing now is just reading the previous pages trying to contain my excitement lol.
Super. All the torque makes the car an absolute riot. Enjoy the thread, and try not to mind the trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrrksturr
Anyway, I was looking through the pages though and haven't found any solid answers yet. Has anybody had experience drifting with the ESC?
I'm sure everyone has drifted a few corners here or there, but no one as far as I know participates in drift events with an Phantom ESC. It wasn't really designed for motorsports per se but...

With that being said, to my foot, with all that low-end torque made by Rob's Phantom kit and the more fine boost control by Shiv's PROcede controller the thing kind of begs to be drifted. Steering the car with the throttle would definitely take some getting used to as the boost is not as linear and latency free as let's say a throttle cable or belt driven SC, still the boost is much more immediate than most small turbos for this car. All the pieces are there for some serious hoonage. Just BE CAREFUL. Running this aforementioned setup the way I do on E85 with catless header makes pretty serious torque pretty fast for such a light car. Tires will be shredded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrrksturr
How about with the ESC installed but switched off? Anything I should be concerned about? Just curious because I will be doing a bit of that and wanted to turn off the ESC but don't know how it would affect performance or if it does at all.
If the ESC is switched off, but left installed the car feels sluggish as there is restriction from the compressor sitting in the middle of the intake tract. If you want to run the car with the ESC off for an extended period of time, swap out the compressor for the stock intake, it takes about 10 minutes.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:54 PM   #9113
tyrantcf

Drives: '16 WRX, CBR1000RR
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Depends on the kit I think. But it general I'd say yes, my kit has been rock solid since install day.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:00 PM   #9114
Mrrksturr

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
Super. All the torque makes the car an absolute riot. Enjoy the thread, and try not to mind the trolls.

I'm sure everyone has drifted a few corners here or there, but no one as far as I know participates in drift events with an Phantom ESC. It wasn't really designed for motorsports per se but...

With that being said, to my foot, with all that low-end torque made by Rob's Phantom kit and the more fine boost control by Shiv's PROcede controller the thing kind of begs to be drifted. Steering the car with the throttle would definitely take some getting used to as the boost is not as linear and latency free as let's say a throttle cable or belt driven SC, still the boost is much more immediate than most small turbos for this car. All the pieces are there for some serious hoonage. Just BE CAREFUL. Running this aforementioned setup the way I do on E85 with catless header makes pretty serious torque pretty fast for such a light car. Tires will be shredded.

If the ESC is switched off, but left installed the car feels sluggish as there is restriction from the compressor sitting in the middle of the intake tract. If you want to run the car with the ESC off for an extended period of time, swap out the compressor for the stock intake, it takes about 10 minutes.
Wow thanks so much for the quick reply! Yeah, I was reading up about PROcede and it definitely makes more sense with that installed that drifting is more viable. That's really good to know.

Also great! I didn't know that I could just swap out the compressor for the stock intake and it would be like stock again. Such good info. Thanks so much again, can't wait 'till I have my hands on mine! Drifting isn't my main purpose. It is my daily but I will be taking it to some events here and there, so I didn't want to purchase the ESC if it was going to be a bad thing.

How about heating issues? I feel like if I'm going to be on the track for a longer period of time, wouldn't over-heating would become an issue? Any cooling solutions or suggestions?
Mrrksturr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive