follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
Sam Strano

Old 07-25-2015, 07:25 PM   #3599
Blue Gt

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thumbs up Choices and making the $ commitment

Engee I agree completely, if you are serious about competing on the National level in C Street you must build the car to the full legal extent of the rule book and so pony up the cash for all the best go fast parts and latest sticky tires. TMF has done that plus he is young and talented and can lay down some fast laps in a very capable machine.

My son and I bought the Blue Gt this year as budget C Street project. We saved ~ $2,000.00 by not getting new Koni's, TRD sway bars, Enkei wheels and the latest Bridgestones. We only plan to run a few local events, the Blue Gt is mainly a street toy. This is my son's first season of Auto-crossing. I started killing cones in the late 70's in a Mustang II. DP
Attached Images

Last edited by Blue Gt; 07-26-2015 at 09:35 AM.
Blue Gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:29 PM   #3600
markw

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
On dry pavement the RE71R isn't any better than the Rival-S. Takes a different setup and driving style, and for a lot of people it's an "easy button" for sure, haha.

It will help anyone's times, but you still have to drive the car and use the available grip. Once the whole field is on the same tire though, you loose that "advantage."

Same with the Koni's, for some reason I don't see the SEB banning Koni's. If they do, then there will probably be a big stink with all the guys who bought them with the understanding that they were a legal stock replacement which happens to be on better than half the cars in the field who have replaced the stock shocks. I really don't see the Koni issue going anywhere without hard proof.

Mark
markw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:00 PM   #3601
vroom4

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Drove the rival s the first time today after running the 71 all season. The rival is deff a lot harder to drive, you have to lead it by about .5 second.
vroom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:55 PM   #3602
ksconekiller

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Shameless plug...

I put my full replacement Konis in the classified section: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...71#post2335071

For those keeping score, these are the ones that I measured against my OEM shocks several pages back, and they are the same dimensions. Cheers!
ksconekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:54 PM   #3603
TMF

Drives: '14 FRS TT5
Another quick update...had the Pro Solo Comp School and a competition this last weekend. The comp school was extremely beneficial - the instructors were past national champions and actually flew in for the for the school. There was tons of great feedback, and I learned a lot. Some key take-aways:

-Not only look ahead (always), but also think ahead and connect your thoughts/intended path to what you are seeing.
-Think of the brake as a weight transfer tool, not as a tool for slowing down the car. Using the brake to transfer weight to the front end to get bite for turn-in was extremely effective.
-Try to "slither" your way through a course...meaning always driving right at the limit of your tire grip, just before you lose traction.

Competition on Sunday: I ended up winning CS again (out of 3, 1 of them being my co-driver) and 16th overall again (out of ~100, including the 4 Solo Pro instructors). My co-driver and I actually had a really fun battle during our afternoon runs (4 in the morning, 4 in the afternoon)...we were alternating runs and we were swapping between 1st and 2nd place after each run, literally by hundredths of a second! I ended up winning, however he forgot to take his last run! I ended up winning by 0.3, but who knows if he would have made up the time, given one more run. Oh well, not much we can do about that now.

Probably no more events for us prior to nats because the RE-71R's are almost dead. Just in two weekends, we've got about 100 runs on them and there is probably just enough tread left for nats, and possibly the last two local events for the year. Anyway, I'm looking forward to nats, and it looks like CS has the largest class with 55 competitors!
TMF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TMF For This Useful Post:
Blue Gt (07-28-2015), strat61caster (07-28-2015)
Old 07-29-2015, 11:14 PM   #3604
jdp530

Drives: 2014 BRZ
SCCA Town Hall Meeting

I just got in on the last twenty minutes of the webinar meeting and I saw this question posted by someone on the site in regard to the TRD parts :

C-Street specific question: The Scion and BRZ are twin but each manufacture may have OEM parts for the Respected car, ie the TRD suspension. Is there any thoughts of cars that are the same chassis wise to be able to use the other manufacture parts. in lamans, can the BRZ use the TRD parts to keep competetive in CS?

A: To allow this would require a reasonably signficant rule change. That's not impossible, but its certainly a fairly major departure from how Street, and Stock before it, has worked. However, we certainly recognize that this situation appears a little silly and if folks have an idea for how to address it in a way that can be applied across the category and would be applicable beyond just this one situation, that's for sure input we would like.
jdp530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:30 AM   #3605
ksconekiller

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdp530 View Post
I just got in on the last twenty minutes of the webinar meeting and I saw this question posted by someone on the site in regard to the TRD parts :

C-Street specific question: The Scion and BRZ are twin but each manufacture may have OEM parts for the Respected car, ie the TRD suspension. Is there any thoughts of cars that are the same chassis wise to be able to use the other manufacture parts. in lamans, can the BRZ use the TRD parts to keep competetive in CS?

A: To allow this would require a reasonably signficant rule change. That's not impossible, but its certainly a fairly major departure from how Street, and Stock before it, has worked. However, we certainly recognize that this situation appears a little silly and if folks have an idea for how to address it in a way that can be applied across the category and would be applicable beyond just this one situation, that's for sure input we would like.
Yeah, I saw that also. I can't see any way to write that rule across the Street category without opening a can of worms that would get abused in some other class. Unfortunate, but that's how it is.
ksconekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:38 AM   #3606
solort

Drives: Series 10 FRS
Quote:

I think they need to keep it make and model and option package specific. The Genesis Coupe R spec is the only Genesis Coupe that is allowed to use the camber bolts. IMHO, there are too many worms out of the can in Street as there is...

It is what it is. If you want the TRD springs and bars, buy the Scion.
solort is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to solort For This Useful Post:
Shark_Bait88 (07-30-2015)
Old 07-30-2015, 09:52 AM   #3607
TrqlessWonder

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Quote:

In general, I don't see a particularly straightforward way to accomplish this. I suppose the SEB could write themselves in an audible, and make a case-by-case variance based on demand. But, if that happens, good luck keeping control of that genie. Sometimes we need to be protected from ourselves.

To draw a slightly more severe parallel: F-Street, GM F-bodies. WS6 Trans Ams sold lots better than SS Camaros did. Trans Ams weigh more. Can I put the Camaro F-body on the Trans Am chassis? Can I put a Firehawk motor in an IROC?

Mayyyybe in the situation of the world's most expensive options-package conversion - to get a set of springs... But again, that's for things like making a sport-package JCW mini, or converting a miata to an R-pack.
#24 CS/CSR
TrqlessWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:37 PM   #3608
simpleisbest
Senior Citizen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by solort View Post
I think they need to keep it make and model and option package specific.
This is how they do it in SCCA Club racing. Pretty common sense if you ask me. Extremely rare that any two "stock" cars will be on equal footing, thus its common in other types of racing to provide limited allowances to level the playing field.

Of course, doing it for all the cars allowed in any given Street Class would be crazy.
simpleisbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 02:29 PM   #3609
simpleisbest
Senior Citizen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Not sure if many have seen Tire Rack's latest tire test

Looks like I'll be getting some Kumho's after Nats

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=202
simpleisbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 02:36 PM   #3610
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleisbest View Post

for the price?

cut otherwise it looks like the bridgestone is the clear winner.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:50 PM   #3611
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Definitely looks like RE71Rs are still the tire to have, but the V720 seem like pretty good competition against the Rival S; especially for the price difference.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:31 PM   #3612
SeanRTR
C-Street AutoX

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleisbest View Post

Enjoy those 2nd place trophies.

But yeah, I'm impressed they're that close in dry performance. I've ran at the tire rack test site before though, very tight asphalt lot...far from what we'd see at solo nations on the wide open high speed concrete.