follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 07-23-2015, 10:44 AM   #1
ScionFR-S

Drives: Raven Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Vortech FR-S Bogging RPM AND STALL

hey guys so I was hoping someone could shed some light on this situation and give me a sound reason on why these things happened. Installed the vortech on my AUTO. The install was done perfect except for one thing, in the instructions it says that the bov for MANUALS ONLY should tape into the brake booster line. And for AUTOMATICS uncap and tap into the intake manifold othe drivers side as stock it is capped for autos. I started the car up and it quickly bogged down and stalled on me I got it towed to my tuner and got it dyno tuned. After that it ran great for a week but always a little boggy with the rpms, now before you say it's the tune think about the bov and tapping into the wrong line and the intake manifold still being capped. The car then a week later bogged really bad about three times and stalled on me. Got towed to my mechanic and they changed my battery bc it was shit and then I fixed the bov and tapped into the intake manifold mechanic said all parameters while driving were within normal ranges and the car didn't bog down on him and stall at all. You could hear the bov opening and closing.
Now I'm sure vortech did this for a reason for manuals and autos and tapping into a different line but I don't know how this would affect bogging and stalling. This car is all electrical and it's always a mystery but idk I'm hoping someone could explain why they do this and or why this happened and now the car runs perfect
"To make it in America you need three things, a smile, a gun, and a plan. If you need to give up one thing, give up the smile. If you need to give something else up, lose the gun. But never, ever, give up your plan."

ScionFR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:57 AM   #2
KoolBRZ

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I also have an AT, and learned why the MT's and AT's have different connections there. The AT's have an additional vacuum pump on the passenger side cylinder head which throws off the BOV, too much vacuum I guess. So when you connect it to the manifold you're just getting regular manifold vacuum. Anyway, that's the answer, AT's have an additional pump in the vacuum line, and MT's don't.
KoolBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:47 PM   #3
ScionFR-S

Thanks so much bro !!
"To make it in America you need three things, a smile, a gun, and a plan. If you need to give up one thing, give up the smile. If you need to give something else up, lose the gun. But never, ever, give up your plan."

Old 07-23-2015, 04:01 PM   #4
ScionFR-S

I wonder the reason why it would bog down like that... Maybe the engine was gaining too much back pressure from the manifold because it wasn't being allowed to be dispersed by the bov

Old 07-24-2015, 09:04 AM   #5
ScionFR-S

Bump? Anyone else? Seems like a miracle that the car doesn't bog or stall now

Old 07-24-2015, 12:06 PM   #6
Weapon86

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS monogram series
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
did you check you MAP sensor if its installed properly? ill post a pic of the lines later where i tapped the little hose that goes to the BOV.

also if there's a problem with your BOV not releasing boost if you let go of the throttle, you should hear some "flutter" especially on high RPM.

Last edited by Weapon86; 07-24-2015 at 12:26 PM.
Weapon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:09 PM   #7
KoolBRZ

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScionFR-S View Post
I wonder the reason why it would bog down like that... Maybe the engine was gaining too much back pressure from the manifold because it wasn't being allowed to be dispersed by the bov
I think it was bogging because it was spilling air at idle. When I had my turbo problems it was making noise at idle and spilling compressed air. The air has already been metered by the MAF sensor, so it would have been giving it way too much fuel for the air reaching the cylinders. I think the vacuum pump is there because AT's have to hold still against the pressure of the engine idling in drive at a stop, while MT's don't have that pressure. The BOV is set to open at high vacuum, like when you let off the throttle, but the vacuum pump gives it a bit too much vacuum at idle.
KoolBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KoolBRZ For This Useful Post:
ScionFR-S (07-24-2015)
Old 07-24-2015, 01:05 PM   #8
ScionFR-S

It hasn't bogged since fixing it so hoping I don't stall on the middle of the highway .. Shits scary as fuck

Old 07-24-2015, 01:29 PM   #9
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
The vortech kit has the bypass valve located before the MAF sensor, so you can vent all the air you want and the MAF will read the correct amount ingested by the engine
2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 05:52 PM   #10
ScionFR-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCarbine View Post
The vortech kit has the bypass valve located before the MAF sensor, so you can vent all the air you want and the MAF will read the correct amount ingested by the engine
i think it may have something to do with pressure and vaccum