follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 07-21-2015, 09:00 AM   #1
MikeM7

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited White
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Bad install, what to do next?

I really didn't want to risk taking my car to one of the audio shops around here because they all have the kind of pricing that makes you extremely suspicious of the work quality, but I finally caved and took it in. I had this entire system in a box in my garage for months and just wanted to get it done. Naturally, they did an awful job and now I have to figure out what to do.

Here's a breakdown of the job, components, and result.

Pioneer AVH-X4700BS Head Unit

Pioneer TS-D1602R Door Speakers

Alpine KTP-445U Power Pack Amp

JL Audio Stealthbox 10" Sub

NVX MVPA1 Mono Amp

Wiring, harness, mounts etc.

All of that I brought with me, but they also upsold me on the DVD bypass (wife might want to use it while I'm driving)

Total cost from installer: $300

When I got it back...

1. 3 gouged trim pieces
2. USB and Aux not hooked up
3. Popping sound when car is turned off (bad ground?)
4. Non functioning USB port running to glovebox
5. Overwhelming, awful bass, not tolerable with any volume at all
6. They kept my old speakers, instruction manuals, only thing left in the car was the old head unit and 4 screws on the floorboard

When I first started listening to it, my heart instantly sank and I started thinking about returning the sub. It was awful. Just unbearably loud and distorted and.. frankly, ghetto. After some time fiddling with the settings, I found the speaker levels and the sub was at +6 db with everything else at 0. I set the sub to 0, and suddenly the system sounds GOOD. Thank god, what a relief.

So now the system sounds good, I'm happy with that at least, and I just need to figure out what to do about the rest of the list. I'm thinking just cut my losses, order a couple trim pieces, and fix the issues myself.

Last edited by MikeM7; 07-21-2015 at 10:20 AM.
MikeM7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:03 AM   #2
MikeM7

Here's some pics. The one with the wires I took when trying to figure out where they had put the power pack amp. It's the black box on top of what I'm hoping are the Aux and USB connections.

I'm really astonished that people so often gouge these panels up. They don't even require tools to remove.. I can just grab them and pull them off. I was planning on doing just that before I brought it in, and am still trying to figure out why I didn't...
Attached Images

Last edited by MikeM7; 07-21-2015 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:22 AM   #3
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,289 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
They are supposed to be professionals and that type of work is totally unacceptable. I would be going back and seeking some sort of restitution as well as having the nonfunctioning things fixed. If you just walk away then they win.
MikeM7 (07-21-2015)
Old 07-21-2015, 09:29 AM   #4
MikeM7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
They are supposed to be professionals and that type of work is totally unacceptable. I would be going back and seeking some sort of restitution as well as having the nonfunctioning things fixed. If you just walk away then they win.
The problem with that is that it would require me to leave my car in their hands again...
Old 07-21-2015, 09:31 AM   #5
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,289 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM7 View Post
The problem with that is that it would require me to leave my car in their hands again...
There is always that, true. Still not a hope in hell I would be walking away and letting them get away with it. At a bare minimum they would be paying to replace the trim.
MikeM7 (07-21-2015)
Old 07-21-2015, 09:49 AM   #6
OnionTou

Drives: Toyota GT 86
Garage
TCOAT is right, you got to ask for some restitution or someway to get paid back the damage to the parts.

I'm sure there are budget stores that do good service.

When I got my car's audio done, first thing I did was ask the store what tools they use. They used screwdrivers and other metal tools to pry apart the panels. I bought from amazon those plastic tools to remove panels and I gave them to the store to use them to take apart my car. They cost me $20-30. Compared to dropping 2-3k in audio parts, it's not much.

The damage looks like some idiot used screwdrivers or something made of metal to scuff up the parts that much.
OnionTou is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OnionTou For This Useful Post:
Chimera (07-21-2015), MikeM7 (07-21-2015)
Old 07-21-2015, 09:57 AM   #7
MikeM7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnionTou View Post
TCOAT is right, you got to ask for some restitution or someway to get paid back the damage to the parts.

I'm sure there are budget stores that do good service.

When I got my car's audio done, first thing I did was ask the store what tools they use. They used screwdrivers and other metal tools to pry apart the panels. I bought from amazon those plastic tools to remove panels and I gave them to the store to use them to take apart my car. They cost me $20-30. Compared to dropping 2-3k in audio parts, it's not much.

The damage looks like some idiot used screwdrivers or something made of metal to scuff up the parts that much.
Yeah that's what kills me.. I got a set of plastic trim removal pieces off amazon for like 8 bucks, and when I replaced all the silver pieces with black trim I didn't even have them yet and managed to leave not a scratch. My first time removing trim pieces, no tools, and yet I am more capable than the "professionals". I guess they were in too big a hurry to spend 5 minutes on google/youtube like I did.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:54 AM   #8
MikeM7

Can anyone tell me what the two plugs in the last pic are for? Are those the usb and aux connections?
Old 07-21-2015, 11:59 AM   #9
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Can anyone tell me what the two plugs in the last pic are for? Are those the usb and aux connections?
Need a frame of reference for the spot where that photo was taken
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chimera For This Useful Post:
MikeM7 (07-21-2015)
Old 07-21-2015, 12:35 PM   #10
MikeM7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Need a frame of reference for the spot where that photo was taken
I pulled out the glove box and took a pic through the hole on the side facing the head unit. So that should be directly below the head unit, behind the AC controls.. somewhere in that area. Sorry, should have explained first.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:44 PM   #11
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I pulled out the glove box and took a pic through the hole on the side facing the head unit. So that should be directly below the head unit, behind the AC controls.. somewhere in that area. Sorry, should have explained first.
I would need to look in my car again to be sure but I think the green one is the one that goes into the factory USB/aux module, however for ANY after market install I 100% recommend replacing the factory spot with this thing, clean, easy and fits perfectly
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_68608_Axxess-AX-USB-35EXT.html
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chimera For This Useful Post:
Itsjustjoe (09-10-2015), MikeM7 (07-21-2015)
Old 07-21-2015, 01:13 PM   #12
Higher Being

Drives: 2014 Asphalt Grey FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Your still gonna have to go the store. I would be persistent and demand a refund or some type of compensation. Go with an intimidating friend maybe? Speak to a manager?

I dont normally support large chains but if I ever got a speaker install id do it at Best Buy, simply cause they have warranty's and I have no qualms with chewing out a 19 year old if something bad happened
Higher Being is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Higher Being For This Useful Post:
MikeM7 (07-21-2015)
Old 07-21-2015, 01:18 PM   #13
brianhj

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Car audio installers like this make me sick

Even if I left a minor scratch/scuff on a trim piece I'd be paranoid the customer would notice it
brianhj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brianhj For This Useful Post:
MikeM7 (07-21-2015)
Old 07-21-2015, 02:37 PM   #14
MikeM7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
I would need to look in my car again to be sure but I think the green one is the one that goes into the factory USB/aux module, however for ANY after market install I 100% recommend replacing the factory spot with this thing, clean, easy and fits perfectly
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_68608_Axxess-AX-USB-35EXT.html
Why? Does the stock connection not jive with aftermarket head units? Just curious, I'm not worried about a 12 dollars after all I've spent on this system

Sent the shop an email. They actually have a ton of great reviews (which is why I chose them) and the one bad review they had, they left a nice response and offered to help. We'll see how they handle this. If they fix every problem and buy me new trim I'll still leave them a good review.

Here's their site.
Soundmaster Tint & Alarm
http://caraudio.tx-biz.com

You can google or yelp them, almost all 4 and 5 star reviews and happy customers. Really disappointed as I thought I'd found a decent place.