follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 06-25-2015, 03:29 AM   #1737
ScionFrsFan

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Any word on improving the E85 tune? Don't get me wrong I love the tune already, just curious if they can gain even more power on E85/Stock Car.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:27 PM   #1738
cameronjones239

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series Blue
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScionFrsFan View Post
Any word on improving the E85 tune? Don't get me wrong I love the tune already, just curious if they can gain even more power on E85/Stock Car.
Pair it with the OFH and I don't think you'll be disappointed. If you want a "little more" your best bet is a custom tune.
cameronjones239 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cameronjones239 For This Useful Post:
ScionFrsFan (06-26-2015)
Old 06-25-2015, 05:04 PM   #1739
xsnapshot
Fast enough

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ AT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronjones239 View Post
Pair it with the OFH and I don't think you'll be disappointed. If you want a "little more" your best bet is a custom tune.
Let's say one has a full catless exhaust and OFH + OFT on the canned E85 tune. Is there enough power left on the table to justify a custom "etune" from shiv @ 200?

I'm just curious. I will probably go that route at some point. That and the ESC.
xsnapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:58 PM   #1740
Blu-by-U
Some Dumb Guy

Drives: wanting an Acabian
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsnapshot View Post
Let's say one has a full catless exhaust and OFH + OFT on the canned E85 tune. Is there enough power left on the table to justify a custom "etune" from shiv @ 200?

I'm just curious. I will probably go that route at some point. That and the ESC.

If you are happy enough with it as it is now and are planning on the ESC, considering the Procede development, I'd probably wait and get a custom tune once everything is assembled. Why buy a tune now, if you'll just want tune another later?
Old 06-25-2015, 07:04 PM   #1741
cameronjones239

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series Blue
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsnapshot View Post

I think it varies person to person.
Example - for myself, I plan to boost this winter. So to pay $200 on something I won't use but for maybe 6 months I wouldn't do it unless I am having issues with the off the shelf tune. I'm pretty happy with my current setup, all out acceleration, shifting into second breaks the tires loose no problem. Chirps from 2nd into 3rd.
-If I plan to boost not this winter, but the following winter 1.5 years from now, I would probably get it done. However, if I am going to etune, I would throw on a grimmspeed intake as well. Just to get the absolute most out of every bolt on I can + the tune. In that case I could see it being worth the money.
To answer your question, i would estimate under a 5-8hp gain with an etune but I could be mistaken. Maybe only a 3hp gain.
Here's a thread on just that - http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1777551
cameronjones239 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cameronjones239 For This Useful Post:
Blu-by-U (06-25-2015)
Old 06-27-2015, 10:21 PM   #1742
SIM10

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hey guys, I'm looking for a little experienced opinion. I PM'd this info to Shiv last week, but I'm sure he's a busy guy.
I've had the OFT since last year and I love the results. Living in a snow state, I only have my BRZ out in the warm months, so I have only done a couple thousand mile with the tune in place. Recently my OFT developed a hardware problem, loose USB connector, and the guys at Vishnu were great getting it replaced for me.
I paired the new tablet and loaded the stage-1 auto generated file. After about a week I started to get RPM dip while idling and it threw a CEL+TL and went in to limp mode. The Code was P000A, "camshaft slow response bank A". I cleared the code, loaded the latest OTS from the website v2.067 Stage-1, 93-oct. Within 15 miles it threw the CEL again.
I flashed back to factory and after two weeks and a few hundred miles, no CEL. Is there something that can be changed in the Stage-1 OTS tune that can eliminate my problem and the cam/timing codes and keep the car from going into limp mode?
I'd hate to have to sell my OFT and go without.
Current Mods: Perrin Performance 2.5" Stainless Cat back Exhaust, STI Red Start button, STI Gurney Flap, F1 Fourth Brake light Kit, APR CF Splitter, Side Skirts, Rear Diffuser, Hotchkis Strut tower Brace, TWM Performance Short Throw Shifter & M1 Abrahams Stainless knob, PowerHouse Racing intake, Shrader Performance Rear Seat Delete, Helix Smoked side markers, Diode Dynamics LED Fogs, Interior, Tail as Turn & DRL Always On
SIM10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:26 PM   #1743
D_Thissen

Drives: '13 Argento FR-S (Sold)
Thanked 1,439 Times in 855 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
What calid are you using? I could try sending one of mine if you like @SIM10. I think they are V2.06X
Old 06-27-2015, 10:33 PM   #1744
SIM10

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Thissen View Post
What calid are you using? I could try sending one of mine if you like @SIM10. I think they are V2.06X
B01C
What parameters have you modified?
Current Mods: Perrin Performance 2.5" Stainless Cat back Exhaust, STI Red Start button, STI Gurney Flap, F1 Fourth Brake light Kit, APR CF Splitter, Side Skirts, Rear Diffuser, Hotchkis Strut tower Brace, TWM Performance Short Throw Shifter & M1 Abrahams Stainless knob, PowerHouse Racing intake, Shrader Performance Rear Seat Delete, Helix Smoked side markers, Diode Dynamics LED Fogs, Interior, Tail as Turn & DRL Always On
Old 06-27-2015, 10:46 PM   #1745
D_Thissen

Drives: '13 Argento FR-S (Sold)
Thanked 1,439 Times in 855 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIM10 View Post
B01C
What parameters have you modified?
I haven't modified anything in them. I run AO1C, so they are how they came from OFT. I would double check in ROMraider to see if there is any differences between them and what is on your OFT to be safe. I labeled the 91 and 93 tunes for you as well so that you cant load the wrong one for the fuel. Of course I accept no responsibility (just covering my behind). Lol. They are also V2.066
Old 06-28-2015, 01:02 AM   #1746
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
Hey guys, I'm looking for a little experienced opinion. I PM'd this info to Shiv last week, but I'm sure he's a busy guy.
I've had the OFT since last year and I love the results. Living in a snow state, I only have my BRZ out in the warm months, so I have only done a couple thousand mile with the tune in place. Recently my OFT developed a hardware problem, loose USB connector, and the guys at Vishnu were great getting it replaced for me.
I paired the new tablet and loaded the stage-1 auto generated file. After about a week I started to get RPM dip while idling and it threw a CEL+TL and went in to limp mode. The Code was P000A, "camshaft slow response bank A". I cleared the code, loaded the latest OTS from the website v2.067 Stage-1, 93-oct. Within 15 miles it threw the CEL again.
I flashed back to factory and after two weeks and a few hundred miles, no CEL. Is there something that can be changed in the Stage-1 OTS tune that can eliminate my problem and the cam/timing codes and keep the car from going into limp mode?
I'd hate to have to sell my OFT and go without.
I think you have an actual hardware problem with the camshaft actuators on your car rarther than a tune issue.

The tune may show up the issue as it likely excersises the cam actuators more then the stock tune..ie asks them to move quicker or more often

Hundreds of people run same tune without that issue.

if you were running the old V1.5 x tunes they were more agressive cam timing wise than the V2.06 tunes, but heaps of people ran that version with no issues as well.

hopefully that code will pop up on stock tune and you can get dealer to sort it out.

Also check you oil levels as the cam actuatours are driven by oil pressure.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
D_Thissen (06-28-2015)
Old 06-28-2015, 09:35 AM   #1747
SIM10

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
I think you have an actual hardware problem with the camshaft actuators on your car rarther than a tune issue.

The tune may show up the issue as it likely excersises the cam actuators more then the stock tune..ie asks them to move quicker or more often

Hundreds of people run same tune without that issue.

if you were running the old V1.5 x tunes they were more agressive cam timing wise than the V2.06 tunes, but heaps of people ran that version with no issues as well.

hopefully that code will pop up on stock tune and you can get dealer to sort it out.

Also check you oil levels as the cam actuatours are driven by oil pressure.
I agree and the history of this issue runs a bit deeper than I originally explained.
When I pulled the car from storage in May, after sitting all winter, the car threw a P0017 code and went limp. The dealership replaced an OCV, a cam timing gear (which was physically broken), the ECU, did an oil change and gave it back. A quarter mile later the P0018 code. I turned around and took it back to the dealership. A second OCV, cam timing gear (which was also physically broken), another ECU, and a total of 3 weeks in the shop and all seemed well. (Techline's theory is that the car came from the factory with the broken cam sprockets, the ECU learned the original timing that way, and so it ran fine. When the car sat for the winter, sediment from the oil got picked-up when I started the car and the codes started revealing the broken sprockets).
After driving for a week with the stock tune and no codes I flashed the auto generated Stage-1 file. All was fine for a month, then the P000A. Flashed the latest v2.067, still P000A. Re-flashed the stock file, drove it for a week, got a P000C "pending" no CEL and took it to the dealership. By the time I got it to the dealership the pending code was gone. They drove it 150 miles over the next 2 weeks but no code.
Techline's position is that if there is no code, there is no problem. They don't care if I can't mod my car like everybody else. Since Subaru will no longer spend time and resources figuring out why the car is out of spec, I thought I'd reach out to Shiv to see if it could be corrected in the tune so the car doesn't go limp. So while I agree that this is very likely a electro-mechanical issue, I don't really have any other avenue. I'm reaching out to the community to see if anyone else has experienced this, or can figure a way around. Sorry for the long read, but this has been a bitch of a problem.

Last edited by SIM10; 06-28-2015 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:52 AM   #1748
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
I agree and the history of this issue runs a bit deeper than I originally explained.
When I pulled the car from storage in May, after sitting all winter, the car threw a P0017 code and went limp. The dealership replaced an OCV, a cam timing gear (which was physically broken), the ECU, did an oil change and gave it back. A quarter mile later the P0018 code. I turned around and took it back to the dealership. A second OCV, cam timing gear (which was also physically broken), another ECU, and a total of 3 weeks in the shop and all seemed well. (Techline's theory is that the car came from the factory with the broken cam sprockets, the ECU learned the original timing that way, and so it ran fine. When the car sat for the winter, sediment from the oil got picked-up when I started the car and the codes started revealing the broken sprockets).
After driving for a week with the stock tune and no codes I flashed the auto generated Stage-1 file. All was fine for a month, then the P000A. Flashed the latest v2.067, still P000A. Re-flashed the stock file, drove it for a week, got a P000C "pending" no CEL and took it to the dealership. By the time I got it to the dealership the pending code was gone. They drove it 150 miles over the next 2 weeks but no code.
Techline's position is that if there is no code, there is no problem. They don't care if I can't mod my car like everybody else. Since Subaru will no longer spend time and resources figuring out why the car is out of spec, I thought I'd reach out to Shiv to see if it could be corrected in the tune so the car doesn't go limp. So while I agree that this is very likely a electro-mechanical issue, I don't really have any other avenue. I'm reaching out to the community to see if anyone else has experienced this, or can figure a way around. Sorry for the long read, but this has been a bitch of a problem.
unfortunately CEL codes P000A/B/C are not defined in the definitions so cannot currently be disabled in the tune rom.

Someone would have to trawl the ECU microcode instructions to find them.

It probably not something you would want to disable anyway as faulty cam sprockets can cause oil pressure loss in some cases which can result in engine damage.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:45 AM   #1749
SIM10

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
unfortunately CEL codes P000A/B/C are not defined in the definitions so cannot currently be disabled in the tune rom.

Someone would have to trawl the ECU microcode instructions to find them.

It probably not something you would want to disable anyway as faulty cam sprockets can cause oil pressure loss in some cases which can result in engine damage.
I wasn't thinking of disabling the code, I was thinking more in terms of modifying the tune itself to correct for the problem. But the more I think about it, that's really where I am now with a stock file, it's "tuned" so the fault doesn't happen. So short of disabling the code, which I probably don't want to do, or by some miracle getting Subaru to fix a car that they don't believe has a problem, it looks like I'm left with selling my OFT.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:19 PM   #1750
JB86'd

Drives: JAWS
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I wasn't thinking of disabling the code, I was thinking more in terms of modifying the tune itself to correct for the problem. But the more I think about it, that's really where I am now with a stock file, it's "tuned" so the fault doesn't happen. So short of disabling the code, which I probably don't want to do, or by some miracle getting Subaru to fix a car that they don't believe has a problem, it looks like I'm left with selling my OFT.
I think you should wait a bit, you may see that code pop up on the stock tune eventually, sometimes they'll take lots of miles to pop up or after pushing the car hard.

Tags
#lolwut, divinecomedy, dopeandcashcabinet, free shiv now, goddamitimissedit, golden cage, i missed the show, looks good, missed the fun, omgbbq, shiv 2016, thefatandthefurriest