follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 06-22-2015, 12:01 PM   #15
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,294 Times in 874 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Oh & another thing is.......Turn off traction control if u want. The car is smooth as butter with everything off. Lots time u bog down cuz traction control locking the tires @ beginning. xD

Try it & u will see a big difference.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:28 PM   #16
coloradobrz

Drives: 15' CWP Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
First thing I did in my 2015 was adjusting the clutch pedal so it sits a tiny bit below the brake pedal. It'll make things easier because in my opinion, the clutch travel in the BRZ is way too long in stock form.

The second thing I would do is go to an empty parking lot and just practice your 1-2 shift at various RPMs to figure out what works best for you. Once you have it down and you're aware of how to let the clutch out for a smooth shift muscle memory will eventually come into play and you'll laugh at the fact that you had issues shifting.

Congrats on the new BRZ!
coloradobrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:51 PM   #17
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
Most likely cuz there's a clutch delay valve.

I got a higher clamping force pressure plate and matching clutch disc which mitigates the issue but won't totally eliminate the delay.
the clutch delay valve affects shifting that way? I thought it only affected the RPM's when you're in lower RPM than you are supposed to be and when you let out the clutch, it slowly raises the RPM to the correct amount instead of instantly jumping up and bogging the car
Old 06-22-2015, 03:22 PM   #18
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
the clutch delay valve affects shifting that way? I thought it only affected the RPM's when you're in lower RPM than you are supposed to be and when you let out the clutch, it slowly raises the RPM to the correct amount instead of instantly jumping up and bogging the car
Well I remembered reading about this clutch delay valve on Bimmer forums long ago. The thing just slips your clutch more I think to protect the drivetrain, so it messes with your timing on 1st to 2nd shifts if you want to get on it. The Bimmers can have it removed but I don't think you can do that with the BRZ, if there is indeed one.

The clutch pedal feel on this car absolutely sucks cuz of the helper spring I can tell you that much lol!
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 04:44 PM   #19
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
Well I remembered reading about this clutch delay valve on Bimmer forums long ago. The thing just slips your clutch more I think to protect the drivetrain, so it messes with your timing on 1st to 2nd shifts if you want to get on it. The Bimmers can have it removed but I don't think you can do that with the BRZ, if there is indeed one.

The clutch pedal feel on this car absolutely sucks cuz of the helper spring I can tell you that much lol!
that is news to me. if they wanted to make a driver's car, why did they put all this crap in maybe I was just spoiled with my older MR2 that has no assists at all
Old 06-22-2015, 06:33 PM   #20
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
FYI: There's been no proof there's a clutch delay valve, only speculation. It hasn't been found as nobody wants to do a full teardown of the components.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:42 PM   #21
immortal_suby

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
This car is super easy to shift smooth. If you have trouble you just need more practice. Don't hamfist the stick. Just guide it into gear.

I'm puzzled how anyone who is experienced on a stick could stall this car out.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:20 AM   #22
sukumizu

Drives: 6MT '15 BRZ | '89 240sx (sold...)
Well did some more aimless driving around after work and after reading most of the things in this thread my shifting seems to be a bit smoother now. Definitely experienced a reduction in car lurches. Though to be fair there are times where I can't tell if the shaking is being caused by my driving or typical shitty LA roads lol.

The shift indicator thing that Sosa mentioned really helped as a starting point. That said, I can't really afford to keep looking at the tach so I've been trying to play it by ear.
sukumizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:36 AM   #23
kberkel

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
My last car had awesome clutch feel.. and I really didn't like this one on the test drive. Felt great after a few days though.

I only get jerking when I'm "unsure" with the gas pedal. If you slightly back off and then back on when engaging, you'll lurch.
kberkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:46 AM   #24
Sosa
[||]--(86)--[||]

Drives: 2015 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukumizu View Post
I can't really afford to keep looking at the tach so I've been trying to play it by ear.
Looks like we are at the same point in trying to smooth things out

I believe the break in period (for the transmission) is going to be a big factor. The FR-S I test drove was well broken in and I had very smooth shifts (especially in lower gears). I just need to deal with the over protective new car phase lol.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:07 AM   #25
SamGam

Drives: '13 BRZ SWP 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukumizu View Post
The shift indicator thing that Sosa mentioned really helped as a starting point. That said, I can't really afford to keep looking at the tach so I've been trying to play it by ear.
Agreed, looking at the tach was necessary for me in the beginning but after awhile I got used to how the car sounded at specific rpm's and it was a lot easier to drive. Need to learn heel-toe a little better though, I can do it cruising but when I'm braking hard into turns I get a little nervous.
SamGam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:58 PM   #26
sukumizu

Drives: 6MT '15 BRZ | '89 240sx (sold...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kberkel View Post
I only get jerking when I'm "unsure" with the gas pedal. If you slightly back off and then back on when engaging, you'll lurch.
lol I noticed that too. If I decide to change gears and hesitate in the process, it jerks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sosa View Post
I just need to deal with the over protective new car phase lol.
I know that feel. I want to experiment with a lot more stuff but I'm just waiting til I hit 1,000 on the odo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamGam View Post
Need to learn heel-toe a little better though, I can do it cruising but when I'm braking hard into turns I get a little nervous.
If it helps any, I asked my cousin how he got used to rev matching and he told me that he'd practice it on curvy freeway exits late at night lol. Probably not the safest way to learn but it worked out pretty well for him.
sukumizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:12 PM   #27
Synkronicity

Drives: Ford Escape to BRZ
Normally I don't promote my own threads but it may help you out, I also talk about some strange sounds and such:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88854

It took me a full tank to be able to drive super smoothly, all I can say is practice. Go LIGHT on the gas when shifting, i practically lay my foot on the pedal and it's enough to shift smoothly, first to second is pretty rough, if I shift quickly, I normally get first to second smoothly.
Synkronicity is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Synkronicity For This Useful Post:
SamGam (06-27-2015), sukumizu (06-28-2015)
Old 06-27-2015, 02:53 PM   #28
SamGam

Drives: '13 BRZ SWP 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synkronicity View Post
Normally I don't promote my own threads but it may help you out, I also talk about some strange sounds and such:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88854

It took me a full tank to be able to drive super smoothly, all I can say is practice. Go LIGHT on the gas when shifting, i practically lay my foot on the pedal and it's enough to shift smoothly, first to second is pretty rough, if I shift quickly, I normally get first to second smoothly.

Great thread, solid info!
SamGam is offline   Reply With Quote