follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
Sam Strano

Old 04-17-2015, 09:15 PM   #2899
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
So I drive an RS 1.0 as a fool around car because my Evo is down and I'm not going to win in BS no matter what I do buuuut recently people have been telling me that there's been a lot of hullaballoo over the TRD springs with regards to non RS models.

Tried reading the past 10 pages of this thread but, frankly, it's just way too much bickering for me to bother with. Can anyone give me a quick summary on what is going on here?

Are 2014 & 2015 FR-S owners allowed to put the TRD springs on their cars and remain in C Street?

If so, is there any word on moving the RS 1.0 to C-Street since it makes 0 sense to have it up in B-Street if there are C-Street FR-S' running the same setup?

I've been considering selling the car and getting something that can actually be competitive but if it's going to move back to C-Street I may keep it. This is kind of a big decision for me so any input from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
There is an unofficial comment from an SEB member stating that they may look to reclass the RS 1.0, the implication being to C Street. They are within the 12 month initial classing window where they can make that a snap decision. Fast track comes out on the 20th I believe, if it's not reclassed write a letter.
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 10:14 AM   #2900
VADERR
Completely Lost

Drives: 2015 CBS BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I know this is off topic since I am not bitching about the TRD springs... But I have been autocrossing for about 10 months and have found some small success locally and I decided to attend our local autox school. bslate took footage of my first run vs my last run and the improvement is amazing! It was great to get the chance to fine tune my skills (or lack there of) in a non competition environment.
First

Last
VADERR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:34 PM   #2901
coneracer30

Drives: 2013 Fiestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I ran the new TRD springs and Koni's today for the first time. So far I'm not impressed. The springs lowered my car almost 1.4 inches. That is quite a lot more than advertised. Center of hub to fender is roughly 13 1/16 front and rear. The lot we ran on today admittedly is not great and quite bumpy, but my car was terrible. Did not handle the bumps well at all. Watching my codriver run was like watching a civic on cut springs. The STX car didn't exhibit any of that. Ended up stiffening front shocks to 1/8 from full stiff. This seemed to help the osculation issues mostly. Rears were 1 turn from full soft.

My first impression is that these springs are no where near stiff enough to run the car this low. While we didn't get any steady state wierdness, I am certain that we are bouncing off of the bumpstops through the bumpier sections, sometimes quite violently.

I am also having some strange issues with the steering that maybe you guys can help with. I noticed post spring install that the car didn't want to straighten itself. For instance, if I turn the wheel approximately 20 degrees and let go of the wheel, the car would want to continue to turn. Would lowering it have decreased the castor significantly? The strangest problem occurred for my co driver. We had a long left hand sweeper prior to the finish that was quite bumpy. He said that at one point, the had about 20-30 degrees of wheel into it and the car was traveling dead straight. Is this even possible? He is experienced and knows when he is sliding the tires.

I retorqued everything last night before the event, so I can't imagine anything would be loose. I did NOT do any vsc or zero point calibration. Could that have anything to do with the steering issues? Bad shock maybe?

If I don't find anything obviously wrong under the car, I may have to reinstall the oem springs and give it another go.
coneracer30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:50 AM   #2902
markw

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Something is wrong. Did you use the new bump stops that came in the kit? My car feels really good with the springs and Konis. I did find that moving over to the springs put the alignment out of whack, but I did springs/shocks at the same time.
markw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:10 AM   #2903
coneracer30

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw View Post
Something is wrong. Did you use the new bump stops that came in the kit? My car feels really good with the springs and Konis. I did find that moving over to the springs put the alignment out of whack, but I did springs/shocks at the same time.
After looking it over tonight, I found that the sway bar had been hitting the subframe and the bottom of the strut had made contact with the endlink. Looks like I must have been bottoming out the bar before getting to the bumpstops. Explains why some of the jolts felt so severe. I lengthened the endlinks. Hopefully that solves it.

I did use the shorter bumpstops. What do you have your konis adjusted to?

I will hit the pca event at the same lot this next weekend and see if it is sorted out.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:14 AM   #2904
coneracer30

Double post oops

Last edited by coneracer30; 04-20-2015 at 01:28 AM.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:56 AM   #2905
markw

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by coneracer30 View Post
After looking it over tonight, I found that the sway bar had been hitting the subframe and the bottom of the strut had made contact with the endlinks. Looks like I must have been bottoming out the bar before getting to the bumpstops. Explains why some of the jolts felt so severe. I lengthened the endlinks. Hopefully that solves it.

I did use the shorter bumpstops. I also did the springs and konis at the same time. What do you have your konis adjusted to?

I will hit the pca event at the same lot this next weekend and see if it is sorted out.
I'm running the TRD bars and springs with stock endlinks. I did a "spirited" run up Palomar, and found that at least in the rear, the Konis set to 1 full turn were quite stiff and on corners with lots of bumps, there was too much rebound to let the springs return so it ended up on the bump stops. Backing them of to about 1/4 turn seems to solve that. Front I'm running full soft.

It seems to be pretty well balanced, but leaning a little towards over steer. Way better than it was with the other stock springs and bars, and pretty close to the perren front bar/stock springs I had before. It does seem to be a little flatter in the turns and more planted. It can also carry a ton of speed in the slalom.

I think the springs help, but I have also gotten way more comfortable with the car. In the last month I've done the Evo phase 1 and 2, plus the SD national Tour (7th). Today I finished 3rd out of 9 in class for the region. Still waiting for PAX to come out. I'm beating guys who I were trailing by a good amount towards the end of last year and beginning of this year.

Mark
markw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:07 AM   #2906
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

BRZ takes 1-2 finish in Crows champ tour. Y'all just ran out of excuses!
The Following User Says Thank You to renfield90 For This Useful Post:
markw (04-20-2015)
Old 04-20-2015, 09:49 AM   #2907
G_Ride

Drives: Some kind of Subaru
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by renfield90 View Post
BRZ takes 1-2 finish in Crows champ tour. Y'all just ran out of excuses!
I had a few friends in CS at that tour, but I don't think they noticed any of the FRS cars with the TRD parts. However, Jonathan Stroud is a good driver, and apparently his codriver is too.
G_Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 11:22 AM   #2908
Jawnathin

Drives: Toyobaru FRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Erik is correct, there were no FRS on TRD parts at the Crows NT. Haven't seen one yet, but then again this was my first event since the SD tour and the TRD parts were 'revealed' last month.

Crows NT was a blast. Looking forward to the Pro.
Jawnathin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jawnathin For This Useful Post:
racinric95 (04-21-2015)
Old 04-20-2015, 11:37 AM   #2909
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arigh View Post
Now imagine if they had TRD parts in ADDITION to being better drivers on that day than their competitors!
Doesn't matter since the parts make you slower.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:00 PM   #2910
Kido1986
Dodging cones

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited, 93 Z28
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Before I went on Hiatus, Jason was beating me like a red headed step child locally in his new-to-him RX8. He flew out to CA and drove his brother's car and cleaned up it appears.
Originally Posted by mrbillclintong View Post
If you guys spot any riced frs/brz post them here just for laughs no hating please.
Isn't there already a thread like this? It's called aggressive wheels or summat...
C Street Build/Progress Questions about C Street Autocrossing?
Kido1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:08 PM   #2911
Jawnathin

Drives: Toyobaru FRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Yep, Jason is a great driver. Won several Dixie Tours in an MX5, driven several 86s locally, and now campaigns a CS RX8. He is very familiar with these types of cars. He took 2nd at Dixie last month. He came out to participate in the Tour and Pro.

It was a great race. I gave up a chance to take the lead on Day 1, didn't even feel the cone. We traded blows between runs on Day 2, then he nailed it out of the park on his 3rd run and I couldn't match it. No shame in losing no to him and I'm glad he did well. CS is a very competitive class with lots of great drivers in this region.

We will be back out at the Pro next week. Running Hankooks instead of Bridgestones. It should be a blast.
Jawnathin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jawnathin For This Useful Post:
racinric95 (04-21-2015)
Old 04-20-2015, 03:12 PM   #2912
SeanRTR
C-Street AutoX

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnathin View Post

Running Hankooks instead of Bridgestones. It should be a blast.
Why?

Heat?