follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 03-24-2015, 10:47 AM   #85
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
I'm surprised you say the brz shifter is rubbery, mine has a nice mechanical feel to it. Similar to the s2000, but not quite as nice (but close enough). Was the brz new or broken in? Mine transmission took several thousand miles to break in, once it did it felt much much better. Clutch does take some getting used to. Get the brz engine tuned and it will be even more responsive. Get some stick tires and performance alignment and you'll be surprised how the thing goes around corners.
Brand new. I can definitely get used to it but after all the rave reviews I read I was hoping it'd be a little better. I'd probably buy a slightly taller shift knob.

List of mods planned (irresponsibility ftw, planning to blow money I don't have before I even blow money on the car!) is looking something like (in order of priority):
0. 3M crystalline film
1. Tune, no brainer.
2. Aftermarket axleback.
3. EarthX battery, catch can, Forester oil cooler
4. Camber plates (because fiddling is fun)
5. Front brakes, maybe pulleys (alleviates some of the front weight bias to the tune of $30 a pound, hopefully stainless steel lines will fix the spongy pedal)
6. Lighter rims for when the tires go

I'd have to get used to the car before deciding if I want a lighter flywheel, but I think I probably will for the high rpm response. This list is what, 4 grand ish? Not too bad, hopefully it makes the car reasonably lively.

Last edited by serialk11r; 03-24-2015 at 11:00 AM.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:36 AM   #86
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I know what you mean about the shifter feeling rubbery. If your expectation is Honda shift quality (e.g., S2000 or RSX), you will be disappointed.

It's definitely not bad and gets better over time, but a step below the best IMO.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:12 PM   #87
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Brand new. I can definitely get used to it but after all the rave reviews I read I was hoping it'd be a little better. I'd probably buy a slightly taller shift knob.

List of mods planned (irresponsibility ftw, planning to blow money I don't have before I even blow money on the car!) is looking something like (in order of priority):
0. 3M crystalline film
1. Tune, no brainer.
2. Aftermarket axleback.
3. EarthX battery, catch can, Forester oil cooler
4. Camber plates (because fiddling is fun)
5. Front brakes, maybe pulleys (alleviates some of the front weight bias to the tune of $30 a pound, hopefully stainless steel lines will fix the spongy pedal)
6. Lighter rims for when the tires go

I'd have to get used to the car before deciding if I want a lighter flywheel, but I think I probably will for the high rpm response. This list is what, 4 grand ish? Not too bad, hopefully it makes the car reasonably lively.
It could very well be the stock knob - I swapped to a billet steel knob. Other than cold in the winter/hot in the summer it communicates to your hand much better. Even new I wouldn't call my shifter rubbery at all, more like stiff to the point where it didn't just 'slide and click' into gear very smoothly at first. Now it's great, but I've also learned that shifter feel is a personal (maybe religious?) preference thing. I liked the shifter in my E36 M3 too, very slick and 'buttery', but a lot of people would say it wasn't 'positive' enough (definitely different than my FR-S).
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote