follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-07-2015, 05:30 PM   #29
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granovsky View Post

I didn't know you could do that, I wonder what the dealer will ask for in return.
Yep, just need a drivers license and proof of insurance and you're good to go. Gotta schmooz the sales person and tell it you need to test it as a daily driver.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:41 PM   #30
FlyingFool
Brian

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 6-Spd Manual
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Hey VTEC! I see you have the Invida N1 Exhaust. I have the same and I really don't notice the torque dip much (does the cat-back help increase the low end torque? Maybe). I do know that on the highway at 65-70 even in 6th gear the car seems pretty damn torque y. I was waiting for "this car" for the last 30 years... (I had on my list the Civic coupe, 350Z, Mustang (almost embarrassed to admit this..but I was focus on pure torque of a V8) but how often could you really get to use it. I rarely get above 100 while commuting back and forth to work (maybe twice a day)...Do I really need to be "doing 120" on the highways (I would if I had the Mustang...but that would be a bit silly).
FlyingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:43 PM   #31
CrispyCheddar

Drives: the white one
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
A tune minimizes the torque dip. $550 from OFT. I've never had crickets, or at least never noticed them. There are a few used twins out there. I'd look for one of those now. Actually, I'd hunt for a well-sorted turbo or Jackson Racing supercharged car, preferably with a built engine. Let someone else spend the big money.

Oh, and if you want to get chicks, this is the wrong car. This might get you some dudes, but that's about it. If you want to attract women, get big convertible: Toyota Solara, 3-series, etc.
Its funny because its true, but you attract old women with solaras, don't do that

But in all seriousness OP, 20 year old here and have had it for about a month now, just hitting 2000 miles today. Its been hard to not find the long way home a lot lately. Once you start learning the small limits of the car, you realize that she can do more, and more, and more, and eggs you on to continue to find out what she is made of. My $.02 might not be the heaviest compared to most that have already replied. The RWD + snow weather brings out the hoon in me sometimes and it gets kinda fun, It doesn't hurt to do it once in a while. Casual driving isn't bad, you can still get pretty good MPG out of her if you really want to.

I absolutely love this car, hope you will too if you decide its right for you.
Granovsky (03-11-2015), Tcoat (03-07-2015)
Old 03-08-2015, 01:03 PM   #32
KalbiCool88

Drives: 2005 SLK350, 2015 RS 1.0 FRS
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

Oh, and if you want to get chicks, this is the wrong car. This might get you some dudes, but that's about it. If you want to attract women, get big convertible: Toyota Solara, 3-series, etc.
I don't know about just attracting guys... My RS1 attracts the ladies just as much as the guys
KalbiCool88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 02:20 PM   #33
Tromatic
Banned

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 1,728 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
OP, get the car. There is nothing in it's price range that compares in terms of smile-per-mile. I had to drive my friends Subaru (a nice one) and I could not believe how dead the thing felt. It's a very special little car that we are lucky to have.
Tromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tromatic For This Useful Post:
Granovsky (03-11-2015)
Old 03-08-2015, 04:21 PM   #34
Granovsky

Drives: '08 Civic Coupe
Tromatic, thanks! I hope that would be my experience as well.

Quote:
Come on, it couldn't be that bad . Girls aren't the reason I want to get this car, but I'm sure it would do better than Solara in that department... Convertibles are rare in Vancouver anyway, it rains way too often for it to be worth it. And 4 out of 5 girls I drove in my Civic Coupe, complimented it . Maybe it's a Vancouver thing...
Granovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:25 PM   #35
Tromatic
Banned

Quote:
Tromatic, thanks! I hope that would be my experience as well.

Come on, it couldn't be that bad . Girls aren't the reason I want to get this car, but I'm sure it would do better than Solara in that department... Convertibles are rare in Vancouver anyway, it rains way too often for it to be worth it. And 4 out of 5 girls I drove in my Civic Coupe, complimented it . Maybe it's a Vancouver thing...
I'd rather take the car for a spin than take a ride on my motorcycle, most times. It's that much fun at legal (or maybe just a bit above) speeds. Re the "torque dip", there is a relatively cheap way to take some of that away, but half the fun of the car is learning to drive around that dip. It's like a two-fiddy' motorcycle. It takes some effort, but it's more than well worth it.

Not affiliated, I have one: OFT Tablet. Get one, fill up with E85, flash, grin like idiot.

And I seem to be covered in female repellant, so no help there.

ETA: Drive an AT and MT if you can. The AT is really good. If I didn't have hip trouble....
Old 03-08-2015, 07:29 PM   #36
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 4,001 Times in 2,156 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I've gotten many compliments from guys over cars I've driven. There are three cars I've driven that got compliments from females. 1. Mercedes 300E Convertible - compliments from a hoard of teenage girls. And a request for a ride. 2. Toyota Solara Convertible - compliments from a daisy-dukes-wearing blond in a raised Jeep. Kapow. And that happened with my wife, infant daughter, and late-50's female friend in the car. 3. My current Fiat 500e - a middle-aged woman magnet.

For the record, grandmas buy cars that every woman wants. They just finally have the money.

The right car leads to opportunity. You can take it or not. Other cars lead to dudes. An FR-S convertible would attract babes like no other. An FR-S attracts dudes.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:42 PM   #37
VTEC

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Lol come on guys you should have no problem picking up younger girls in an FR-S. It's a pretty sexy car. It will be at least as good as the OP's civic coupe. If you're going for 25+ women then ya they start looking for the guys with luxury cars cuz they want to see that you've established your career. But there's plenty of other ways to flaunt your money if that's what you wanna do. You can pick up girls in a corrolla if your spending enough money buying them food and drinks. (As long it's not some 1995 Corrolla with the bumper pushed in. Then you should probably just save your money)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFool View Post
Hey VTEC! I see you have the Invida N1 Exhaust. I have the same and I really don't notice the torque dip much (does the cat-back help increase the low end torque? Maybe). I do know that on the highway at 65-70 even in 6th gear the car seems pretty damn torque y. I was waiting for "this car" for the last 30 years... (I had on my list the Civic coupe, 350Z, Mustang (almost embarrassed to admit this..but I was focus on pure torque of a V8) but how often could you really get to use it. I rarely get above 100 while commuting back and forth to work (maybe twice a day)...Do I really need to be "doing 120" on the highways (I would if I had the Mustang...but that would be a bit silly).
Ya I don't think the torque dip is that bad. I also own a Honda which had no torque at all before I modded it. A little torque dip is better than no torque at all. Maybe the exhaust did help a bit I'm not sure. I didn't keep it stock for too long haha. But usually exhausts make you lose a bit of low end torque. But I also have a K&N air filter which supposedly helps the throttle response. So maybe they cancel each other out lol
Old 03-09-2015, 04:16 AM   #38
Tromatic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgdxyjy View Post
Does it feel natural and non-destructive to operate FR-S closer to its limit?
Hey Squad!
Old 03-09-2015, 08:34 AM   #39
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tromatic View Post
Hey Squad!
Nope not Squad. Dude is just going around and throwing random cut and pastes from other peoples posts on. Guess he figures it is funny.
PS: I see he is gone already!

Last edited by Tcoat; 03-09-2015 at 02:23 PM.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:16 PM   #40
Granovsky

Drives: '08 Civic Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Nope not Squad. Dude is just going around and throwing random cut and pastes from other peoples posts on. Guess he figures it is funny.
I'm guessing someone by the name Squad posted the same question somewhere? I admit that I only skimmed through the topics and a few threads regarding SOME of my questions. Which I'm sure are still legitimate and non repetitive since most of the people who responded were pretty enthusiastic about sharing their experience
Granovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Granovsky For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-09-2015)
Old 03-09-2015, 02:22 PM   #41
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
I'm guessing someone by the name Squad posted the same question somewhere? I admit that I only skimmed through the topics and a few threads regarding SOME of my questions. Which I'm sure are still legitimate and non repetitive since most of the people who responded were pretty enthusiastic about sharing their experience
Your question has been asked a 1000 times but since you asked in a reasonable manner and had put some thought into it you got reasonable answers. Believe me it could have gone far, far worse!

You need to understand the whole Squad saga to get the joke there.
Here is some entertainment for when you have a couple of hours. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81548
Old 03-09-2015, 03:39 PM   #42
Braces

Drives: 17 Alfa Romeo 4C
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
OP: this car sounds perfect for you. I ordered mine before I had even sat in one. A low cost, good mpg, RWD, light, neutral handling, >7000 redline sportscar. I could care less about the interior. I still remember picking the car up for the 1st time. Loved the tight cockpit area, perfect seats and the prominent center tack. I wound her up to the manual stated break-in period of 4000 rpms and couldn't stop grinning. I kept imagining what it would feel like past 7000rpms. After the ... ahem, ahem 1000 miles ... I was not disappointed.
Braces is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Braces For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-09-2015)