follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 01-21-2015, 03:57 AM   #71
donoman

Drives: '13 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Yes, 2 years and 34k on the odometer, a couple track days and autox with one fixable check engine light that was caused by hard driving and fixed with a $100 replacement part and two hours worth of time. It's never left me stranded or done anything unexpected

Problems come around if you are a picky owner (it makes noises it's broken!) or if you really abuse it (the OEM stuff will need upgrades, brakes, rubber, suspension, axles, etc.). It is a $25k Subaru and you have to pay to play.
Sounds pretty good. I've also read that the earlier cars had some problems that may have been addressed. I certainly don't want a car like my 1994 Miata where everything was rattling but I'm hoping this thing is an affordable daily driver.

I also agree that a Porsche is going to kick the BRZ's ass every time. They were designed with totally different budgets. My '90 911 C2 puts out 260HP on paper but is so much more fun to drive than any other car I've driven. But, alas, I cannot daily drive that car... it gets 16MPG and its rarity is making the price go up considerably for a low mileage example.
donoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:18 AM   #72
GT86_PRAGUE

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I will sell my GT86 in few years to replace it with...
The new GT86
GT86_PRAGUE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GT86_PRAGUE For This Useful Post:
sactownbwoy (01-31-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 01:13 PM   #73
ap5512

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes, 2 years and 34k on the odometer, a couple track days and autox with one fixable check engine light that was caused by hard driving and fixed with a $100 replacement part and two hours worth of time. It's never left me stranded or done anything unexpected

Problems come around if you are a picky owner (it makes noises it's broken!) or if you really abuse it (the OEM stuff will need upgrades, brakes, rubber, suspension, axles, etc.). It is a $25k Subaru and you have to pay to play.
I wouldn't classify myself as a picky driver. I have a bunch of rattles and buzzing inside the cabin but don't mind it too much as it's a sports car and it should be expected to have some. What bothers me the most is having to worry about the major stuff like DI seals/comlete engine failure just because you drove it hard on a track or autocross. Basically, what's the point of having the award winning sports car but you can't drive it for the purpose it was made for. I love the car but lately i've begun to worry about the longevity of the car especially since I'm out of the warranty period.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:59 PM   #74
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,482 Times in 5,000 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap5512 View Post
I wouldn't classify myself as a picky driver. I have a bunch of rattles and buzzing inside the cabin but don't mind it too much as it's a sports car and it should be expected to have some. What bothers me the most is having to worry about the major stuff like DI seals/comlete engine failure just because you drove it hard on a track or autocross. Basically, what's the point of having the award winning sports car but you can't drive it for the purpose it was made for. I love the car but lately i've begun to worry about the longevity of the car especially since I'm out of the warranty period.
I agree but that's the name of the game, there are Porsche's that have blown engines, the only street car that is immune to track abuse seems to be the Miata and even then there is work to be done to make it viable.

The DI failure poll has 60 votes on it, less than 0.1% of owners have come to this forum and voiced complaints of DI failure, the cam position sensor issues were solved before the leaves changed colors in 2012.

I'm all in, consequences be damned I'll beat it until it gives up, post what happens and gauge the cost of using it as intended, gotta start saving up for an oil cooler and OFT.

strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
ap5512 (01-21-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 02:17 PM   #75
ap5512

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
I just bought the OFT + OFH combo so should be installing it soon. I am hoping the OFT will help with the DI issue since reading in other threads that i can possible help with the leaning.

I don't track but do plan on auto-x and spirited mountain runs so hopefully that's not enough to make it go bust. Time will tell...
Old 01-23-2015, 06:43 PM   #76
MikeM7

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited White
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I don't really understand the people complaining about power when there's an assortment of new and used 300+ hp cars in the same price range...
MikeM7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:15 PM   #77
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,482 Times in 5,000 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM7 View Post
I don't really understand the people complaining about power when there's an assortment of new and used 300+ hp cars in the same price range...
Because there are significant sacrifices to all of the possible alternatives.

If you retain the same price category and new you suffer weight penalties (Genesis, Mustang, Camaro).

If you retain the same weight category (at or under 3,000 lbs) you have to shell out at least $20k more to get into a Porsche/BMW at 300+ horses.

If you keep the weight and price the same you go used and suffer the loss of warranty on a vehicle with expensive maintenance costs (Porsche, BMW).

There really aren't many alternatives to the Toyobaru built in the last five years, MX-5, S2000, and RX-8 are the only competitors that come to mind, everything else is literally in a different category with regards to weight and cost of ownership, two very important factors for most enthusiasts.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
exE36M3 (01-28-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 07:45 PM   #78
Alltezza

Drives: WRB Limited BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
It's unfortunate that you won't get the full response you are looking for since most 16 year olds have the attention span of a gay guy in a Hooter's.
Lol please don't say that even though I see a bunch of high school kids in my area driving this car with an Ego bigger than a typical GT Mustang driver.
Alltezza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alltezza For This Useful Post:
Burrcold (01-23-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 11:41 PM   #79
MikeM7

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited White
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

If you retain the same price category and new you suffer weight penalties (Genesis, Mustang, Camaro).

If you retain the same weight category (at or under 3,000 lbs) you have to shell out at least $20k more to get into a Porsche/BMW at 300+ horses.

If you keep the weight and price the same you go used and suffer the loss of warranty on a vehicle with expensive maintenance costs (Porsche, BMW).

There really aren't many alternatives to the Toyobaru built in the last five years, MX-5, S2000, and RX-8 are the only competitors that come to mind, everything else is literally in a different category with regards to weight and cost of ownership, two very important factors for most enthusiasts.
Yes.. you need to decide your priorities, do your research, and pick the car that fits your needs/desires. I chose the BRZ, therefore I'm not going to sit around complaining about how it's not as powerful as a mustang.

If I'd chosen a mustang, I wouldn't be on the mustang forum complaining about it's crappy cornering or the fact that there's 15 of them in the parking lot at work.

If I'd chosen a porsche, I wouldn't sit around complaining about how it has 75k miles on it.

I'm just saying there's no reason to act surprised with what you got when you knew exactly what you were getting.
MikeM7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeM7 For This Useful Post:
exE36M3 (01-28-2015), strat61caster (01-24-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 11:44 PM   #80
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I suggest a drop-top Datsun 210.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:02 PM   #81
Braces

Drives: 17 Alfa Romeo 4C
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Cars are just machines. They're not family. When I was younger ... I switched cars every couple of years. I enjoyed the constant variety. Many people got the Twin, enjoyed it, and are now ready to move on. No harm. No foul.
Braces is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Braces For This Useful Post:
brzaapi (01-28-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 01:59 AM   #82
Alltezza

Drives: WRB Limited BRZ
If I had a reason if would probably be that since this car is my daily driver and I have to drive 30 minutes to work almost everyday and I already have a little over 15K miles on my car.

I'd probably sell it and get either a newer year FT86 if i some how hit the 100K mark. OR if I somehow get a NICE raise I'll be looking at the new Toyota FT1. On a more reasonable note though if there's a 2nd generation BRZ coming out I'd probably get something like that.
Alltezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 02:33 PM   #83
KNS

Drives: BMW and Porsche at the moment
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

It's a short list of cars if you're looking for a manual trans, rear drive coupe. I've been thinking of replacing my daily 325i for the last two years and am having a heck of time. The BRZ is on my short list but so is a used 997. I test drove a G37 coupe the other day, nice car but 1000(!) pounds heavier than a BRZ.
KNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:27 AM   #84
hanabie

Drives: WRB LMTD '13
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
used 2nd gen cayman gts