follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 11-23-2014, 11:52 AM   #85
whtchocla7e

Drives: 2013 FR-S Hot Lava
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Whatever you do, get winter tires!!

I changed back to my summer tire in April of this year and then an unexpected snow storm popped up in CT one day. I had my first crap-pants moment.

I was waiting to merge onto the main road from my neighborhood while stuck boots-deep in crap... I mean snow. I step on the gas, nothing. I punch it and whoa, all of a sudden I'm in the opposite lane and the car doesn't want to straighten out. So, I'm driving sideways up a hill at 5 mph with a shit load of cars behind me. Holy shit, worst 5 min of my driving career...

Anyway, I already drove the car for two winters. It does well on proper winter tires. Don't cheap out or it will cost you more in the end.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:54 PM   #86
Spartiduck

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ limited 2.0l
Garage
I'm winter driving my brz, I have winter tires on some blizzaks, I went a little bigger for the clearance as the roads here are crappy, I work at a camp job so the car sat in a parking lot for 9 days. When i got to here I passed by it once due to so much snow couldn't see the car. brushed it off a little and started it up, heated seats on and brushed off the rest of the snow. ( push button start is a little annoying to have to sit in when you just want to start it and go. ) After warmed up plowed a little snow with out problems, no spin out at all. Did some shopping for food today, found snow falls down in the trunk when you open it other than that still lots of fun, full control great car
Spartiduck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spartiduck For This Useful Post:
Stang70Fastback (11-28-2014)
Old 11-28-2014, 11:47 AM   #87
Ezk1el

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Sport-Tech RS
http://i.imgur.com/mcxGPFK.jpg

Check this picture, I've been running in Montréal on my Nokian Hakka 7 since february last year. They're not great on asphalt above zero degree celcius but they are awesome on snow and when the temperature gets really low (-10 to -40c).

I see a lot of FR-S going around in Montréal during winter, we're all doing fine. The car is not very good for driving on the highway during a snowstorm though... so it's probably better you keep of the road when that happens..

I'm a sales guy, I travel a lot between Montréal and Ottawa and I'm doing fine with my BRZ as my daily driver!

Last edited by Ezk1el; 11-28-2014 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Forgot to include the img in the post
Ezk1el is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ezk1el For This Useful Post:
Ganthrithor (11-28-2014), slaxx (12-03-2014)
Old 11-28-2014, 12:18 PM   #88
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Just installed Bridgestone Blizzak LM32s on my stock wheels and installed Weather tech floor liners. I want to get a few sandbags to put in the trunk for snow days but until then I'll probably use a few plates from my weight set.
B-R-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 03:42 PM   #89
Spartiduck

Garage
Sad Picture, so much snow, I do not want to plow the roads.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:24 PM   #90
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Garage
What drop are u riding on? looks like mine (pro kit).
Old 11-28-2014, 04:30 PM   #91
Spartiduck

Garage
I'm not sure, came on the car when I got it. I can look... has STI badge on front
Old 11-28-2014, 04:34 PM   #92
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Garage
If the springs are black and say eibach on them then they are pro kits.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:04 AM   #93
Thrilled

Drives: FR-S Whiteout 2013
Just installed Nokian hakkapeliitta R2. Factory rims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganthrithor View Post
Has anyone tried Hakkas? Since I left Denver, I don't get to play in the snow anymore... never got to try them.
We had a little bit of slushy stuff the day they went on last week. They certainly feel more stable overall. Best news is that they were far less expensive at STS than the Nokia WRG3 All Seasons.

In a straight line, they will break traction if over powered, but remain pushing forward. To do this, though I had to really over power them (in slush). We also had cold rain (about 40F) that day and it would break traction a little early in a straight line (from a stop), but did not slide in the rear.

That's comforting compared to how the stock tires did last winter - they would break traction in a straight line in snow and slush then would slip usually right given the crown on most roads.

In turns, the new tires seem to hold nicely so long as throttle management is smooth and appropriate power to complete the turn. Didn't try much over-powering in turns or braking. Need to wait to practice in a larger open space.

Here in the upper Mid-Atlantic, our winter conditions vary a lot from the occasional blizzard to cold rain. We often get icing and mixed sleet/snow conditions. From my research, the Nokian R2 rated best for ice and snow whereas most winter tires seem to excel at one or the other, not both. Apparently no winter tire excels at all winter conditions. It turns out it's best to gravitate toward the conditions you encounter the most.

As for dry roads, they make the handling feel a little more like a regular car. Steering inputs feel dampened, the ride feels notably softer - particularly on rough surfaces. Road noise is lower in the mid-frequency bands which is easier on the ears. There is a little bit of audible low-frequency hum from the knobby type tread - but nothing like a jeep or SUV.
Thrilled is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thrilled For This Useful Post:
Ganthrithor (11-29-2014)
Old 12-01-2014, 06:14 PM   #94
Spartiduck

Garage
New Winter issue, So in laws didn't clean the snow from the driveway very well so i did some minor plowing with the BRZ. Today I went to drive the car and just spun out, could back up a little but not much, wasn't in very much snow. Got out and found front tires not turning when backing or going forward. Breaks frozen so dragging front end. The fix was turn off traction controls and spin back end until hit pavement, "Clunk" break free and away I go. The next few stops each had lesser "clunks" as the ice melted away. Washed the car and should be good.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:31 PM   #95
Spartiduck

Garage
Drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-R-Z View Post
If the springs are black and say eibach on them then they are pro kits.
I'm pretty sure i have Factory springs, They are black. the drop look is just the slightly larger tires I put on.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:45 PM   #96
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartiduck View Post
New Winter issue, So in laws didn't clean the snow from the driveway very well so i did some minor plowing with the BRZ. Today I went to drive the car and just spun out, could back up a little but not much, wasn't in very much snow. Got out and found front tires not turning when backing or going forward. Breaks frozen so dragging front end. The fix was turn off traction controls and spin back end until hit pavement, "Clunk" break free and away I go. The next few stops each had lesser "clunks" as the ice melted away. Washed the car and should be good.
Yeah, I learned this a long time ago with my Outback. After having any kind of fun in the snow (or just driving around) ALWAYS clean out your wheel wells. Brakes being frozen is one thing, but I've had snow and slush packed inside the entire fender, and around the spring, which basically froze to the spring, and tire, essentially turning my entire suspension into one giant, immobile block. Took me a HALF HOUR of hacking with a piece of metal to break it away, and then another 5 minutes of gentle, slow driving around the parking lot, purposely hitting bumps and basically crushing giant blocks of ice as they shifted around.

After that one episode, I ALWAYS clear out all four fenders when parking my car if it's that kind of build-up. Sometimes I would get lazy and not clear it all, and then if anything the next morning would suck because I wouldn't be able to go full lock on the steering without rubbing against solid ice, and I couldn't exceed 50 MPH on the way to work because the vibrations from the snow build-up in the wheels were so bad, lol.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
Ganthrithor (12-21-2014)
Old 12-01-2014, 06:49 PM   #97
Spartiduck

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
Yeah, I learned this a long time ago with my Outback. After having any kind of fun in the snow (or just driving around) ALWAYS clean out your wheel wells. Brakes being frozen is one thing, but I've had snow and slush packed inside the entire fender, and around the spring, which basically froze to the spring, and tire, essentially turning my entire suspension into one giant, immobile block. Took me a HALF HOUR of hacking with a piece of metal to break it away, and then another 5 minutes of gentle, slow driving around the parking lot, purposely hitting bumps and basically crushing giant blocks of ice as they shifted around.

After that one episode, I ALWAYS clear out all four fenders when parking my car if it's that kind of build-up. Sometimes I would get lazy and not clear it all, and then if anything the next morning would suck because I wouldn't be able to go full lock on the steering without rubbing against solid ice, and I couldn't exceed 50 MPH on the way to work because the vibrations from the snow build-up in the wheels were so bad, lol.
Yes, I never thought of this being an issue, My other vehicle is a big 4x4 dodge ram (aka the work truck) Great advice!
Old 12-01-2014, 07:17 PM   #98
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Yeah. It isn't really a problem unless it drops below freezing overnight and you park outside like I used to. It isn't something you really think about until it happens, lol. The bigger the vehicle, the bigger the ice block you'll have to chisel away, lol.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote