follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Mid-Atlantic

Mid-Atlantic DC, DE, MD, VA, WV

Register and become an FT86Club.com member. You will see fewer ads

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-25-2014, 09:38 AM   #1
torqueno
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Drives: BRZ
Location: VA
Posts: 43
Thanks: 18
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Extremely angry - Need advice from VA drivers

I bought my BRZ exactly a month ago with 1,800 miles. I've taken great care of it and garaged it in the carport. Yesterday, I was traveling on 495 going North in the far left lane right around noon. There must have been an accident there that morning because about a mile before the 66 exit, the cars in my lane were sandblasting each other with TONS of broken glass and gravel. There were cars traveling next to us in the right lane so before I could change lanes, I was sandblasted for about eight seconds.

It sounded horrible. Very horrible. The cars in front and the back of me all swerved over to the right lane once it was clear, but by then, it was too late. I inspected my car with another enthusiast on this forum shortly after the incident, and I could see micro-scratches EVERYWHERE. This is such a bad feeling especially since I know the car had no cosmetic scratches or damage. I'm still in the phase where I inspect the vehicle everyday before heading to work so I knew what it looked like, and there were absolutely no scratches or pits. Good news is, a professional detailer said he could take out about 90% of the damage. The scratches run the entire length of my car and it includes the pillars. But the rest he can not fix - the front bumper and windshield is pitted.

Is there anything I can do to make a claim to the county or state? Has anyone done this before with success? I'm not trying to get rich here. I just want to be reimbursed for the cost of a professional detail. I don't even think I can do much about the little pit marks on my windshield and front bumper. Legal advice welcome. Thanks.
torqueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:48 AM   #2
Celadrielas
Senior Member
 
Celadrielas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Drives: 2013 Asphalt Fr-S
Location: Earth
Posts: 850
Thanks: 535
Thanked 379 Times in 248 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
I take insurance claims for a living. So in regards to if you can take the city / state as responsible for their roadways, I don't know. It varies state to state and typically the answer is not likely.

What I can tell you is the damage would be covered under comprehensive coverage for insurance as a road debris claim, so check your deductibles. Also, you should understand there is a possibility it could raise your rates or still cost you out of pocket depending on coverage and claim history.

Claim would be filed, adjuster assigned, services rendered, the wheels on the bus would go round and round. -- If you take this route, PLEASE do your homework and find a good shop in your area. our twins have a thin clear coat and the paint can be tough to match by joe-schmoe autobody
__________________
"That's the beatiful thing about life! No matter how filthy something gets, you can always clean it right up."
Celadrielas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:20 PM   #3
Agent 86
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Drives: 2017 Cayman S
Location: Maryland
Posts: 341
Thanks: 41
Thanked 128 Times in 73 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Sorry to hear when things like this happens. It hurts even more when you care about your car and try hard to keep it nice.

Years and years ago, I bent a wheel on my Jetta GLi when I hit a hole in the road caused by road repairs. This was in Montgomery County, MD on Rt.28 near Rt. 270. I contacted the county. They blamed Wash Suburban Sanitary Co., but paid for a replacement anyway.

Can't hurt to try. If the local Govt. deployed a crew to clear the debris, they probably have a record of the occurrence (date/time) and have a means by which you can file a claim.


Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueno View Post
I bought my BRZ exactly a month ago with 1,800 miles. I've taken great care of it and garaged it in the carport. Yesterday, I was traveling on 495 going North in the far left lane right around noon. There must have been an accident there that morning because about a mile before the 66 exit, the cars in my lane were sandblasting each other with TONS of broken glass and gravel. There were cars traveling next to us in the right lane so before I could change lanes, I was sandblasted for about eight seconds.

It sounded horrible. Very horrible. The cars in front and the back of me all swerved over to the right lane once it was clear, but by then, it was too late. I inspected my car with another enthusiast on this forum shortly after the incident, and I could see micro-scratches EVERYWHERE. This is such a bad feeling especially since I know the car had no cosmetic scratches or damage. I'm still in the phase where I inspect the vehicle everyday before heading to work so I knew what it looked like, and there were absolutely no scratches or pits. Good news is, a professional detailer said he could take out about 90% of the damage. The scratches run the entire length of my car and it includes the pillars. But the rest he can not fix - the front bumper and windshield is pitted.

Is there anything I can do to make a claim to the county or state? Has anyone done this before with success? I'm not trying to get rich here. I just want to be reimbursed for the cost of a professional detail. I don't even think I can do much about the little pit marks on my windshield and front bumper. Legal advice welcome. Thanks.
__________________
… and loving it! Maxwell Smart
.
Gone but not forgotten
2014 BRZ Limited - 2013 VW Golf R - 2010 Forester XT - 2006 Mazda 3 GT
Agent 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:57 PM   #4
torqueno
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Drives: BRZ
Location: VA
Posts: 43
Thanks: 18
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
Sorry to hear when things like this happens. It hurts even more when you care about your car and try hard to keep it nice.

Years and years ago, I bent a wheel on my Jetta GLi when I hit a hole in the road caused by road repairs. This was in Montgomery County, MD on Rt.28 near Rt. 270. I contacted the county. They blamed Wash Suburban Sanitary Co., but paid for a replacement anyway.

Can't hurt to try. If the local Govt. deployed a crew to clear the debris, they probably have a record of the occurrence (date/time) and have a means by which you can file a claim.
Thanks. Any idea where I even start? Fairfax DMV? DOT? Police? I plan on doing something about this tomorrow morning.
torqueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:28 AM   #5
Agent 86
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Drives: 2017 Cayman S
Location: Maryland
Posts: 341
Thanks: 41
Thanked 128 Times in 73 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueno View Post
Thanks. Any idea where I even start? Fairfax DMV? DOT? Police? I plan on doing something about this tomorrow morning.
I don't know, but I would begin with VA's DOT. Probably the same department that deploys the snow plows, cut the grass and repair the roads.
__________________
… and loving it! Maxwell Smart
.
Gone but not forgotten
2014 BRZ Limited - 2013 VW Golf R - 2010 Forester XT - 2006 Mazda 3 GT
Agent 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need advice, angry spiteful neighbor and my family... ProTekk Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] 74 02-26-2014 10:51 PM
Did something extremely retarded... Tylub Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) 11 09-24-2013 10:53 AM
Angry Beaver Kills a Man Ryeong86 Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] 9 04-28-2013 05:18 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.