follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 07-20-2014, 12:05 AM   #1
glamcem

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Thumbs up NASA PW event with fellow forum member "rice_classic" - 2014-7-19

I had a chance to attend the NASA PW event with @rice_classic today, it was very nice to meet with you (in person) man I really appreciate the very useful tips that you gave me and letting me use your pyrometer today (now I am even more confused, haha).. I noticed that I have been missing all the action since it seemed a lot more organized with a lot more experienced attendees

FYI, I was in combined HPDE Group (4/ TT) and he was in the Racing group .. this was my first day with NASA and overall I am glad you mentioned this event (and of course the re-pavement at PR ) it was horrible last year

Overall car felt pretty good and I am sure the aeros helped me a lot at T1 to maintain the high speed stability.. except the brake pads.. hopefully when I replace them with the ST43s and maybe add the Toyo RRs (255s), I will gain more confidence (especially before turns 3a-3b)

rice classic's red CRX

My best lap time of the day was 1:41.6 and it was my first event at PR after a year so sub 1:40s are quite possible with the current setup and with a completely clear lap (no interruptions, point bys ..etc)

[ame="http://youtu.be/f0uJqaFv9hs"]http://youtu.be/f0uJqaFv9hs[/ame]
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:00 AM   #2
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Good to meet you. You're car is fantastic, a real work of art.

That was my first time playing in NASA's sandbox and I had fun chasing down 944s all day.

My best time was today during the race: 1:38.80 and remember us talking about tires and heat? That was done on my old 205's not my 225's. I followed it up with a half dozen low 39s.

And then this happened at the apex of 3A:

The hub broke and then broke the rotor hat. I was very VERY lucky the axle stub didn't break otherwise I would have lost the wheel. Instead I was able to limp it back to the paddock.
CSG Mike (07-25-2014), glamcem (07-21-2014)
Old 07-21-2014, 12:17 PM   #3
rice_classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
My best lap time of the day was 1:41.6 and it was my first event at PR after a year so sub 1:40s are quite possible with the current setup and with a completely clear lap (no interruptions, point bys ..etc)
1:41 on your first time out at PR is very good. It's a technical track and the 5a/5b/6 complex is not just the most technical section, it's also the most dangerous. It's wise to show it respect. It takes time to "learn the steps" to that dance through there and in a car with your level of power you can't approach it @ WOT like you can with a low HP car like my CRX, a Miata or those 944s.

I look forward to seeing you at The Ridge in August if you can make it.

Here's a clip of my lap.
[ame="http://vimeo.com/101266546"]138 at PR on Vimeo[/ame]
glamcem (07-21-2014)
Old 07-21-2014, 12:55 PM   #4
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
Good to meet you. You're car is fantastic, a real work of art.

That was my first time playing in NASA's sandbox and I had fun chasing down 944s all day.

My best time was today during the race: 1:38.80 and remember us talking about tires and heat? That was done on my old 205's not my 225's. I followed it up with a half dozen low 39s.

And then this happened at the apex of 3A:

The hub broke and then broke the rotor hat. I was very VERY lucky the axle stub didn't break otherwise I would have lost the wheel. Instead I was able to limp it back to the paddock.
Ouch, glad you're ok man :/ ever considered getting a stronger or 5 lug pattern hub (not sure if it's even possible with your car)

Quote:
1:41 on your first time out at PR is very good. It's a technical track and the 5a/5b/6 complex is not just the most technical section, it's also the most dangerous. It's wise to show it respect. It takes time to "learn the steps" to that dance through there and in a car with your level of power you can't approach it @ WOT like you can with a low HP car like my CRX, a Miata or those 944s.

I look forward to seeing you at The Ridge in August if you can make it.

Here's a clip of my lap.
awesome driving, it looks fast and I have to say I didn't see many sub 40s cars with your power levels do you have a telemetry software I would love to see the entry and exit speeds of your car in certain turns

I completely agree on your comments about the 5a/5b/6 since there is no run-off area in those turns I took them very carefully and didn't follow the ideal line to be safe .. I know I might be a losing a second or a bit more there but I don't think it's worth the risks of cutting some time..

Secondly, since the brakes have already seen some track days (25-30 sessions) I think I'd better get the ST43s soon so that I can brake a bit later here and there (especially before 3a-3b)

thirdly, I noticed that my best laps (in the video) could be a bit better if I had a better start (without the Porsche in front of me ) or if I didn't have to slow in the let by zone for that fast Evo since I started losing grip and hp afternoon, I can't wait to go there with new brakes

and finally, for some reason I couldn't pass 130 mph on the straightaway even with the added power, I was watching some Cayman S video and even with the lower entry speed car ended up hitting 140+ mph with ease which yields a better times.. carrying 20 mph more speed on the straightaway for say like couple seconds hugely affect the overall time.. it's very interesting because Cayman S has the same amount of power and obviously about 400 lbs heavier than my car maybe the 7 speed dual clutch tranny (with different gears ) helps since 6th gear felt so numb
Old 07-21-2014, 01:48 PM   #5
rice_classic

Quote:
Ouch, glad you're ok man :/ ever considered getting a stronger or 5 lug pattern hub (not sure if it's even possible with your car)
Illegal in ITA. They are a "maintenance item" and should be replaced every 1-2 seasons. This is season 3, which probably explains why I was bringing spare knuckles to the track. Glad I did.

Quote:
awesome driving, it looks fast and I have to say I didn't see many sub 40s cars with your power levels do you have a telemetry software I would love to see the entry and exit speeds of your car in certain turns
Had this been a Conference weekend (not NASA), the 38.8 would have been the new ITA track record. If I can figure out how to separate my .DRK file from my AIM SOLO I'll send you my telemetry.

Quote:
and finally, for some reason I couldn't pass 130 mph on the straightaway even with the added power, I was watching some Cayman S video and even with the lower entry speed car ended up hitting 140+ mph with ease which yields a better times.. carrying 20 mph more speed on the straightaway for say like couple seconds hugely affect the overall time.. it's very interesting because Cayman S has the same amount of power and obviously about 400 lbs heavier than my car maybe the 7 speed dual clutch tranny (with different gears ) helps since 6th gear felt so numb
I could have to do with your exit speed off of 8 and through 9. Your entry into 8 should start much wider. Use the whole track, you paid for whole track, so you may as well use it. The BRZ does have pretty tall gears so I'm sure the P-car may have had a top end gearing advantage. It could also do with the 25mph head winds we had on the straight as well. In the afternoon I was ~2 seconds off because of that head wind.
glamcem (07-21-2014)
Old 07-21-2014, 04:01 PM   #6
glamcem

Quote:

Had this been a Conference weekend (not NASA), the 38.8 would have been the new ITA track record. If I can figure out how to separate my .DRK file from my AIM SOLO I'll send you my telemetry.

Quote:
I could have to do with your exit speed off of 8 and through 9. Your entry into 8 should start much wider. Use the whole track, you paid for whole track, so you may as well use it. The BRZ does have pretty tall gears so I'm sure the P-car may have had a top end gearing advantage. It could also do with the 25mph head winds we had on the straight as well. In the afternoon I was ~2 seconds off because of that head wind.
I will try that next time, thanks.. I used to run wider at T8 but wasn't sure this time since I have a smaller car and wanted to try to shorten the way.. At T9 I've seen cars that had a lot slower entry and exit speeds but still ended up gaining a lot of speed maybe the head winds and/or tall gear was the cause..I can try to carry a bit more speed but it feel really bumpy.. that also explains why I was losing about ~2 seconds in the afternoon too
Old 07-24-2014, 07:40 PM   #7
Tainen

Drives: First SWP BRZ-L
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Ha. that gray/brown 944 was my instructor at my last track day. fun stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tainen For This Useful Post:
glamcem (07-25-2014)
Old 07-25-2014, 01:37 AM   #8
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainen View Post
Ha. that gray/brown 944 was my instructor at my last track day. fun stuff.
Are you also planning to come to RMP event by NASA NW (Aug 23-24)?
Old 07-25-2014, 10:11 AM   #9
SeanRTR
C-Street AutoX

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
My friend has a very nationally competitive ITA CRX, running on Hoosier A6's.....he just broke his hub in th eexact same way last race weekend...and DID lose the tire...luckily the car was able to stop safely....but the wheel jumped the fence and hit a Corvette....some how the rubber mark on the hood buffed right out.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:07 PM   #10
Tainen

Quote:
Are you also planning to come to RMP event by NASA NW (Aug 23-24)?

nope, doing the BMWCCA track day schedule.
glamcem (07-28-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 08:58 PM   #11
glamcem

some photos from the NASA NW event (Pacific Raceways)

Old 07-29-2014, 12:48 PM   #12
Tainen

epic pictures.

That front splitter- home made? If not, who from? I'm interested. My car felt a little light/airy at the end of the straight when you initiate turn 1, made me back out of the throttle a little early, wondering if I just need to suck it up and get over it or if there are a few things I can change to give me a little more confidence there.
glamcem (07-29-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 01:23 PM   #13
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainen View Post
epic pictures.

That front splitter- home made? If not, who from? I'm interested. My car felt a little light/airy at the end of the straight when you initiate turn 1, made me back out of the throttle a little early, wondering if I just need to suck it up and get over it or if there are a few things I can change to give me a little more confidence there.
oh I know exactly what you mean, my car felt the same way at RMP and I didn't get a chance to drive it before the aero mods.. so the effect should a lot bigger ah PR, especially on the big straightaway ..

I decided to get the @FT-86 SpeedFactory front splitter and added splitter support rods, I've also combined that with the @Wonderbar Driveway Labs rear diffuser so doing one without the other upsets the balance ..it is 68% front 32% without the rear diffuser and with the rear diffuser it is 51% front 49% rear so almost perfectly balanced..

my mods are in my signature and here's a long thread about the front splitter
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65207
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to glamcem For This Useful Post:
FT-86 SpeedFactory (07-30-2014), Wonderbar (07-29-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 08:13 PM   #14
200HP

Drives: Nissan GT-R
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Awesome photos and video, does NASA do any events out at Oregon Raceway Park? I'm thinking it's the perfect track for a BRZ/FRS.
http://oregonraceway.com/
200HP is offline   Reply With Quote