follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 06-01-2014, 12:50 PM   #71
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TM View Post
Yeah, that's exactly what it sounds like. I don't think it's a leak, because if it was, shouldn't the sound be there even when it's idling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's what I assumed.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:07 PM   #72
Wepeel

Drives: '13 BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yeah, that part was rusted like there was no tomorrow. Took me quite a bit of effort to get those two nuts off. Was a pain in the ass.

Now that I have the Borla UEL installed. There's a weird sound when I accelerate. Kinda sounds like air is going out somewhere. Only when I step on the gas petal though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
I think I have that same sound.
Sounds like a rush of air? I only hear it at either certain RPMs or throttle position.
I didn't notice any exhaust leak while I was down there after installing but I'm going to check again when I get a chance.
Just installed mine on Friday. Piece of cake.

I had the rush of air sound, like a flutter or air pulses of exhaust. Only under load, couldn't replicate at idle or idle revving. At first I thought it might just be "header noise" due to thinner walls, aftermarket, etc, but it sounded too much like a leak to me. Couldn't feel any leaks during idle (held up thin plastic to see if it wavered anywhere at the joints), didn't find anything. Removed the header, checked gaskets, and there were soot blowby marks on 2 of the 3 gaskets (header/overpipe and passenger side header/engined). This was evident after only a day of driving. I used all new gaskets and torque'd to spec.

The car also seemed sluggish.

I'm in the process of contacting Borla. Luckily the swap is so easy that removing/replacing is not a big deal.
Wepeel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wepeel For This Useful Post:
Andrew025 (06-02-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 04:35 PM   #73
Andrew025

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wepeel View Post
Just installed mine on Friday. Piece of cake.

I had the rush of air sound, like a flutter or air pulses of exhaust. Only under load, couldn't replicate at idle or idle revving. At first I thought it might just be "header noise" due to thinner walls, aftermarket, etc, but it sounded too much like a leak to me. Couldn't feel any leaks during idle (held up thin plastic to see if it wavered anywhere at the joints), didn't find anything. Removed the header, checked gaskets, and there were soot blowby marks on 2 of the 3 gaskets (header/overpipe and passenger side header/engined). This was evident after only a day of driving. I used all new gaskets and torque'd to spec.

The car also seemed sluggish.

I'm in the process of contacting Borla. Luckily the swap is so easy that removing/replacing is not a big deal.
Thanks for the info.
I'll check mine out tomorrow. I've had it on for about 2 weeks so I'm assuming it should be fairly obvious to see the soot if there is any.
Let us know how the contact with Borla goes.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:47 PM   #74
TM

Drives: DGM BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Yikes, I'll check mine sometime this week. I could replicate the air sound even during idle revving.

For me, it seems like the whooshing sound is coming from the right of where I'm sitting. I suspect it might be where I unbolted the front pipe from the midpipe to push the pipe back to pull the headers out.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:55 PM   #75
Wepeel

Quote:
Thanks for the info.
I'll check mine out tomorrow. I've had it on for about 2 weeks so I'm assuming it should be fairly obvious to see the soot if there is any.
Let us know how the contact with Borla goes.
Oh, after 2 weeks it will def be noticeable if there is anything. I think I drove about 50 miles total lol
Old 06-02-2014, 04:55 PM   #76
Wepeel

Quote:
Yikes, I'll check mine sometime this week. I could replicate the air sound even during idle revving.

For me, it seems like the whooshing sound is coming from the right of where I'm sitting. I suspect it might be where I unbolted the front pipe from the midpipe to push the pipe back to pull the headers out.
Could be. I didn't disconnect the front pipe to midpipe, just unbolted the bracket and unhooked the exhaust and tucked it behind it.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:41 PM   #77
Andrew025

Checked mine out, didn't see any signs of soot where it shouldn't be.
Tightened everything back to spec, went for a drive and it seemed less pronounce.
Probably just placebo since I just tightened it all, I dunno.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:08 PM   #78
TM

Garage
I just checked the gaskets. Same here. No soot where it shouldn't be. Bolted everything back up and torqued to spec. Took my car for a ride and the sound is still there, louder than ever. I guess it's just a part of how it is. I'll have to learn to live with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2014, 10:11 AM   #79
Wepeel

Quote:
Checked mine out, didn't see any signs of soot where it shouldn't be.
Tightened everything back to spec, went for a drive and it seemed less pronounce.
Probably just placebo since I just tightened it all, I dunno.
Quote:
I just checked the gaskets. Same here. No soot where it shouldn't be. Bolted everything back up and torqued to spec. Took my car for a ride and the sound is still there, louder than ever. I guess it's just a part of how it is. I'll have to learn to live with it.
When you say "no soot where it shouldn't be" do you mean no soot outside of the the gasket circles? Borla sent a replacement, I put it on, and get the same noise. It was manufactured on the same day as the first one. I will check the gaskets today or tomorrow.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:25 AM   #80
Andrew025

Quote:
When you say "no soot where it shouldn't be" do you mean no soot outside of the the gasket circles? Borla sent a replacement, I put it on, and get the same noise. It was manufactured on the same day as the first one. I will check the gaskets today or tomorrow.
My gaskets were clean, just the typical color change from heat.
Andrew025 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew025 For This Useful Post:
Wepeel (06-09-2014)
Old 06-09-2014, 10:39 AM   #81
TM

Garage
Quote:
I have some picture on my phone. Here they are:

I did a lot of searching on this whoosh sound. Some possible reasons may be the shape of the flex-joints deflecting the air a certain way, or the more likely reason, the thin tubing of the Borla being less effective at sound deadening than the OE headers. I did hear from one guy who switched from Borla to some other header commented on how thin the Borla headers are compared to others.

The next time I'm under the car, I might check around the welds and see if there are any leaks there. If you're still unsure, you can go to an exhaust shop and have them test for leaks.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:08 PM   #82
Moetivegt86

Drives: FRS Argento 6mt
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Do we absolutely have to use a 02 sensor wrench? If we unplug it and drop the header can we just use a 22mm box end wrench?
Moetivegt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:17 PM   #83
Andrew025

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moetivegt86 View Post
Do we absolutely have to use a 02 sensor wrench? If we unplug it and drop the header can we just use a 22mm box end wrench?
You don't have to If you have the appropriately sized wrench.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:35 AM   #84
akahenry

Drives: '18 STi
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Just out of curiosity, is it recommended to install a brand new header (UEL in this case) along with an overpipe at the same time? If not, would it be fine to simply install an aftermarket catless header while keeping the stock overpipe? I know for a fact an aftermarket overpipe isn't going to give any significant or noticeable horse power improvement over the stock overpipe, but is it worth it to upgrade to an aftermarket overpipe (performance wise)? Is it worth it to spend a couple hundred bucks on an overpipe for slightly better flow- is my real question. (I feel like this second question is redundant and voids my aforementioned question lol) Comments, suggestions, and opinions are greatly appreciated!
akahenry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
borla, header, unequal length