follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 06-22-2014, 09:11 PM   #99
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,131 Times in 1,195 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013GTRNate View Post

I could have purchased anything as my DD but I picked the BRZ Limited, a car costing a fraction of the other vehicles that I was looking at. I did look at the FRS and for the reasons listed above its time on my list was short lived. Nothing personal, just my logical reasoning leading to it not making the cut. But hey it made yours and you are happy, right? Nothing personal just my honest reasoning, it looks more like I hit a nerve than anything else.
What a sweet garage, you have both a machete and a scalpel, how do you want to cut up roads today?
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lonewolf For This Useful Post:
2013GTRNate (06-22-2014)
Old 06-22-2014, 09:38 PM   #100
2013GTRNate

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
What a sweet garage, you have both a machete and a scalpel, how do you want to cut up roads today?
Thank you so much!

I wouldn't want any other two vehicles in my garage. I love them both equally but in different ways. Getting the BRZ sideways with ease is so much fun. The GT-Rs level of control at any speed is just ridiculous.

I actually cut the roads up today with my wife's Forester XT, I took it out for some off roading and then some aggressive driving in the canyons both of which are near my house. I owe my wife a car wash now because I got it extremely dirty, lol.

Cheers,

-Nate

My BRZ's thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47467

Last edited by 2013GTRNate; 06-22-2014 at 09:50 PM.
2013GTRNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:57 AM   #101
MeehowsBRZ
Banned

Drives: BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Oh man, this thread sure makes some BRZ owners look like self conscious teenage cheerleaders.

Last edited by MeehowsBRZ; 06-23-2014 at 03:27 PM.
MeehowsBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:18 PM   #102
CAMBAM_6
CAMBAM

Drives: '13 Whiteout FRS
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
I don't have a problem with it, nothing wrong with it. I just have never seen so many people so phobic about this before with any car I have ever owned, sure people de-badged but never swapped so much.

Personally I think the entire branding for the car is one of the most stupid I have seen, worse than the old Chrysler/Plymouth/Mitsubishi nonsense in the 80s.

The badge swapping just makes it even more confusing, because lets face it the car maybe psuedo designed/invented by Toyota but its all Subaru top to bottom with the exception being the DI system. I hate explaining this car to people, by the end of the second sentence they are already are ignoring me.
Guess you don't know to much about the Honda/Acura scene do you...Those guys who have Acura Integras old and new debadge the A with H all the time. ...And actually its pretty popular in Japan, guys with the 86's put Scion badges on their Toyota 86 and Lexus badges on those VIP Toyotas also
Old 06-23-2014, 03:46 PM   #103
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMBAM_6 View Post
Guess you don't know to much about the Honda/Acura scene do you...Those guys who have Acura Integras old and new debadge the A with H all the time. ...And actually its pretty popular in Japan, guys with the 86's put Scion badges on their Toyota 86 and Lexus badges on those VIP Toyotas also
The Integras/RSX Honda/Acura is nothing compared to the brand confusion with this car.

Same car with 3 brands and 4 logos/names and people get so anal about it changing it.

Just as waste of time, should I put flextronics or foxconn logos on my Apple, Samsung devices? Same silly concept.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:57 PM   #104
qoncept

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I'm still trying to find a place to put my Type R badge that looks like I mean it but is still easily removable.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:46 PM   #105
Demandred7

Drives: 2018 Camry XSE V6
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I went purely on price and looks. I was tempted by the BRZ for its spoiler, HID's, fog lights and climate control, but, also wasn't a fan of the moustache and silver instrument panel. Different strokes for different folks. At least we can welcome another member to the 86 clan.
Demandred7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:32 PM   #106
Celadrielas

Drives: 2013 Asphalt Fr-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
My decision to purchase a scion FR-S was a tough one, to be honest. I came from a 2007 impreza 2.5i (I know the bastard child without a turbo) and when I bought it it was the tail end of 06. I was so excited because I knew the herritage and grew up watching Collin McRae and like all kids looking up to their idle, I was finally able to buy myself "His car" and though I was only 20 and I knew I wasn't really getting the fully loaded, ready to rip version, I was checking off a box.

Driving that car for me became about dedication and that subaru was a tank. I completed HDPE and CA Jr. Rally License training in that car, slid it through as much snow, dirt, and tarmac I could and was hooked. When I lost the car, I lost it to a driver who came left of center and hit me head on. The police officer told me "If you had any other car, I don't think you'd have faired so well" as I left the scene with a sprained ankle. This was march of this year. Age 28.

I was torn but made the decision on the FR-S because of the front bumper, the badging, the price, and the realization the only change I was giving up for the frilly bits and the stiffer struts & Softer springs vs stiffer springs softer struts. I've driven both models and I honestly love both. It's not about brand to me. It's about feel behind the wheel at this point and both of these cars have it.

If I'd have gotten the Subie model for the same $18,500 I paid for my FR-S, I'd be driving that. If I had to pay full retail for each, maybe it'd be different -- who knows.

I get sad when people throw things like a degree in peoples face to make a presence for themselves. This should be about the cars. Who cares if you have rich parents and are 16 or are 96 and have 14 different degrees. Are you respectful? Are you passionate? Good. Welcome. Teach me because I want to get better than I am. To grow and change and improve. But I want the same for all of you.

Oh, and insert some shiney e-penis here to waive around. Just in case I need that sort of credit too.
Celadrielas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Celadrielas For This Useful Post:
Boxer486 (06-23-2014), Optimus Prime (06-24-2014)
Old 06-23-2014, 06:45 PM   #107
CAMBAM_6
CAMBAM

Drives: '13 Whiteout FRS
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by qoncept View Post
I'm still trying to find a place to put my Type R badge that looks like I mean it but is still easily removable.
You should do Initial D (Team Emperor) style and put it upside down just to disrespect the R's
Old 06-23-2014, 08:55 PM   #108
Kilos6

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout MT
Just replace the badge yourself with a toyota badge. I'd just like to point out that the first rocket bunny did an emblem swap from toyota to scion.
Kilos6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:46 AM   #109
VacantSky
The Angry Brit

Drives: 1991 E30 318iS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I bought the Scion with all the intentions as rebranding it as a toyota. Everywhere else in the world under the Toyota Motor Corp. these cars are sold as the 86 or GT86. And are modern day throwbacks to the AE86 with design cues from the toyota 2000GT. The AE86 happens to be my favourite rwd japanese 80's car. It was supposed to bring back that essence of lightweight and rwd, and bring back some herritage for all the people who miss that from Toyota.
To me it doesn't fit into Scions line up, look at the price difference over the other vehicles. It doesn't make sense. It's almost another case of the US market getting screwed from what they really want, the original Focus RS. The Focus ST's. Even the original GC8 chassis STI and WRX. Not to mention all of the turbo deisel stuff going on in Europe. Enthusiasts want that stuff. And Believe it or not there are Toyota car enthusiasts, who want Toyota to bring back that fun car factor. The Corolla turned into an econobox overnight in the late 80's.
I guess I can state things all I want but after all it's opinion, and people will bash me for not "being proud it's a scion". No I'm not proud, what did they really do for this car? Nothing.. I like Toyota, and was deeply confused when it was announced it would be branded as Scion in the US.
I'm from England originally so I've had the luxury of being around nice Japanese cars most of my youth. Jap domestic cars are imported to the UK all the time, so I've been in and driven plenty of fun cars. I guess this helps me out too, a lot of people think I imported the car and that it's an actual EUDM car. This is a subject that will be forever beaten to death..

Edit: When I go to events like warped tour in Dallas a week and a half ago, and see a scion tent with an FRS and a TC set up for display and a chance to win a new scion. Enter into said competition because why not, I'll sell the car. One of the guys there sees I'm into the FRS and starts talking to me about it, and gets confused when I mention the words Toyota Corolla AE86, 2000GT, and even GT86, and has absolutely no idea that the car was built to reflect the AE86 platform idea, and the 2000GT's looks while being sold under the Toyota brand elsewhere in the world. It frustrates me...

Last edited by VacantSky; 06-24-2014 at 01:57 AM.
VacantSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:00 AM   #110
Fastbrew

Drives: 2014 Pearl White BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013GTRNate View Post
Thank you so much!

I wouldn't want any other two vehicles in my garage.

-Nate
I bet you want a Wrangler
Fastbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:55 PM   #111
Optimus Prime

Drives: Whiteout 2013 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celadrielas View Post
My decision to purchase a scion FR-S was a tough one, to be honest. I came from a 2007 impreza 2.5i (I know the bastard child without a turbo)...
My daily driver is a 2006 2.5i wagon. I was almost ready for blood until I continued reading!

Seriously though. I'm admittedly a Subaru fanboy. Much for the same reasons as you -- though no actual accidents thankfully. My daily driver was bought for my then fiancee when she was driving 45 miles each way to work in northeastern PA winters on some of the nastiest roads in the area. The safety and grip was what sold me. She's(and my 2 year old) now in a 2010 Forester with the impreza moving to me. We'll probably never buy another non Subaru again. Sure, we'll cross shop. But so long as Subaru safety stays where it's at, I doubt we'll be switching. I won't say ever because I don't care how loyal a consumer I may be, the safety of my loved ones takes priority.

I really wanted the BRZ because I'm a loyal consumer, but I also knew they were the same car. All Subaru dealers in a 500 mile radius wouldn't budge an inch off MSRP (and in most cases charged over) and that turned me off. Lo and behold, the closest Toyota dealer had just received a whiteout 6AT as I pulled in to the lot. It was destiny and I wouldn't change a thing.
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Optimus Prime For This Useful Post:
Celadrielas (06-24-2014), noodlebaka (08-23-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 06:24 PM   #112
peri.Laynz

Drives: 2014 Whiteout M/T
Garage
I'll start by saying that I'm pretty loyal to the Scion brand. Scion came into the market full force around the time I started driving/shopping for cars, and I always wanted a tC. After I joined the military I could finally afford that tC, a brand new 2011 (so the first run of the second gens) and man oh man was it a fun car. Sure it was FWD, but with a full exhaust, a supercharger and a tune, that car was almost too much fun to let go... but I had to for the FR-S.

Anyways, to all the people saying stuff about "Toyota heritage" and things of that nature, I feel like there won't be a SCION heritage without people leaving the badges on. Sure it's not Scion's car technically, but it certainly helps get the brand more well-known.

P.S. Just bought my wife a 2014 xB and sure the interior and well.. most of the car might be pretty cheap, but boy does it ride smooth and have a TON of room for such a small crossover.
peri.Laynz is offline   Reply With Quote