follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 06-11-2014, 04:21 PM   #1
JFox

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Crickets Got Louder... :(

So I went ahead and changed my oil at 3,003 miles. I put in ENEOS 0w-20 and a Subaru filter (the black one).

I've been running TCW3 two-stroke oil in the gas (actually improved everything BUT the crickets, unless maybe to a small degree). Third tank since starting the TCW3 and I was finishing that tank up when I changed the oil.

Now, after about a hundred miles into the oil change, the crickets have gotten LOUDER than before. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but for some reason they're really, really loud now. I can hear them inside the car with the windows up.

Just in case, I went ahead and filled up the car and put in my normal 2oz of TCW3 (1oz per 5 gallons), and even added an extra half-an-ounce of the stuff just to see if that would help. Drove home (about 30 miles), and they're still there, unfaltering in their chirping.

This is a 2014 model, purchased in March.
JFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:27 PM   #2
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Can you post up any reliable information about why and how running two stroke oil in the fuel is going to do anything but foul the fuel system?

I understand the logic but with how sensitive the DI injectors are you have balls.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:31 PM   #3
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Drives: violent
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I wonder if its pinging since 2 stroke oil lowers the octane rating.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2014, 03:57 AM   #4
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
The crickets get louder when the temperature is higher which might be why. Also I noticed it may be louder when your gas is low (maybe because the TCW3 wasn't mixed uniformly?).
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:58 AM   #5
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
I wonder if its pinging since 2 stroke oil lowers the octane rating.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Assuming he is using 2oz per 10 gallons I doubt the octane would lower enough to matter. I think someone did the calculations here and it was less than a .1 octane reduction. All anecdotal evidence of course.
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:01 AM   #6
goffer

Drives: 2014 Brz
I thought mine got louder one time then I rolled down my windows and realized it was flock of birds chirping outside.
goffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:10 AM   #7
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goffer View Post
I thought mine got louder one time then I rolled down my windows and realized it was flock of birds chirping outside.
I thought I had crickets until I realized there were crickets outside my house

Serious note.. I'm at 5k miles. Car only chirped a few times but never came back. I run exclusively Costco gas... no additives other than the Costco additive.

Build date 7/13 original pump.

I do have ethanol in my gas since I'm in California.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:37 AM   #8
JFox

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...highlight=TCW3

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2315560

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f48/been-testing-oil-91206/

30 seconds of searching yielded these results. I think that's enough to back up what I'm saying.

If I had to guess as to why the crickets got louder (which was the reason for this thread, not to question TCW3), it would be that QuikTrip sometimes contains a lot more ethanol than other times. Now that I think about it, I didn't notice the crickets until a bit after I filled up the last time. Even though it's the same gas station (literally, the exact same gas station - same location), it's likely that they had a different batch. I'll see if I can find somewhere that doesn't have ethanol in the gas and see if that helps any. I may also run without TCW3 to see if it gets any louder.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:42 AM   #9
JFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
Can you post up any reliable information about why and how running two stroke oil in the fuel is going to do anything but foul the fuel system?

I understand the logic but with how sensitive the DI injectors are you have balls.

If anything, it's going to clean them. It definitely made things a bit quieter (not as much as the oil change did) and it definitely made all the ticking/clicking/general valve noise at anything above 5k quiet down a lot. I found the engine to sound and feel more healthy after adding the TCW3 to the gas.

It's important to realize that TCW3 is different from normal "two stroke" oil that you'd put in the weedwacker. This stuff is designed to burn completely, not foul plugs/injectors, and actually have a small amount of detergent properties.

http://www.nmma.org/certification/ce...oil/tc-w3.aspx