follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 06-06-2014, 08:13 PM   #1
glamcem

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Question Ways for faster revving when blipping the throttle??

I am not sure if this is the parasitic loss due to supercharger but I could definitely notice the slower revving feel during the down shift rev matching since the clutch pedal is depressed during the down shift rev matching all I think of is the lighter crank pulley or maybe an underdrive pulley?

Any other suggestions?

It's a very critical safety issue in my opinion and surprisingly I couldn't find anyone mentioned it here
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:17 PM   #2
dradernh

Drives: Used to Drive:Grand-Am GS #54 E36M3
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Lightweight clutch?
dradernh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:39 PM   #3
MINOCIN

Drives: Asphalt 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I know what you mean. I immediately felt the same thing after my Innovate SC kit was installed. The slow revs that I got when trying to blip the throttle on a downshift reminded me of when I first purchased my car and the engine hadn't broken in yet. My first thoughts were to get a set of lightweight pulleys and a lightweight flywheel. I'm going to hold off on the pulley set for a while, but I definitely want to switch to a lighter flywheel.

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." -Oscar Gamble
MINOCIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:48 PM   #4
D K
Stig's dark passenger

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Lightweight clutch?
^^^^

That
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:20 PM   #5
thatfilipinoguy

Drives: 87 Supra, 13 FRS, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
You'd want a light weight flywheel...the clutch has nothing to do with the rotation of the crank when you are rev matching.
thatfilipinoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:25 PM   #6
glamcem

I'm not sure how light flywheel/clutch combo can help when clutch pedal is depressed simply because there is no pressure on them ..I can understand when on the gear iit should definitely help the engine revs freely ..I think same can be said for the drive shaft too..so the only thing one my mind is the lighter pulleys or other methods that reduce the parasitic load/loss.. I don't have any experience with underdrive pulleys or lighter pulleys..
Old 06-06-2014, 10:26 PM   #7
SmsAlSuwaidi
Boosted

Drives: Not a supra....yet
Thanked 1,203 Times in 812 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
You'd want a very light flywheel, i have a 10.5 pound one and my revs jump to over 3 with slight blips

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_1c8bcudag"]The joy of a 10.5 pound flywheel - Turbo Frs - YouTube[/ame]
SmsAlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:31 PM   #8
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatfilipinoguy View Post
You'd want a light weight flywheel...the clutch has nothing to do with the rotation of the crank when you are rev matching.
That's what I thought, how can the lightweight flywheel affect the engine speed when clutch is not engaged ? I always thought it would be the same with lighter clutch..

The bad thing is since Kraftwerks kit uses a unique crank hub adapter that goes over the OEM pulley so I'm not sure if I can use an aftermarket one.. One of the owners had his kit installed by a shop but I think it's modified
Old 06-06-2014, 10:36 PM   #9
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmsAlSuwaidi View Post
You'd want a very light flywheel, i have a 10.5 pound one and my revs jump to over 3 with slight blips

Thanks for the video, I wonder how it would rev with a SC since the load on the belt should be one of the main factors for slow revving..
Old 06-06-2014, 11:08 PM   #10
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
That's what I thought, how can the lightweight flywheel affect the engine speed when clutch is not engaged ? I always thought it would be the same with lighter clutch..
The flywheel is on the engine side of things, so even if the clutch is disengaged the flywheel is still spinning. The OEM flywheel is heavy by design. This creates significant inertia once it's spinning, so if you're less than smooth with the clutch it doesn't bog the engine. The downside is that there's more weight to spin and more inertia to overcome when you want to change engine speed. Blipping the throttle on a downshift, say.

A lighter flywheel is better in some ways, as there is less rotational mass and less inertia to overcome when changing engine speed, but at the same time it's less tolerant to marginal shift technique because there is less inertia. Some manufacturers (Exedy, I think) will lighten the flywheel while trying to keep most of the remaining weight around the outside of the wheel. This helps to maintain the spinning inertia, while still removing weight and rotational mass.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
glamcem (06-06-2014), MINOCIN (06-07-2014)
Old 06-06-2014, 11:27 PM   #11
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monogram View Post
"Blipping" the throttle is not a constant. Learn to time the "blip", learn throttle control where you do not completely let off of the throttle on downshifts, learn to finesse the throttle when braking rather than clubbing it, learn to double-clutch while braking and finessing the throttle.

Just my opinion.
Well, It's not my technique but thanks for the lesson
Old 06-06-2014, 11:34 PM   #12
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
The flywheel is on the engine side of things, so even if the clutch is disengaged the flywheel is still spinning. The OEM flywheel is heavy by design. This creates significant inertia once it's spinning, so if you're less than smooth with the clutch it doesn't bog the engine. The downside is that there's more weight to spin and more inertia to overcome when you want to change engine speed. Blipping the throttle on a downshift, say.

A lighter flywheel is better in some ways, as there is less rotational mass and less inertia to overcome when changing engine speed, but at the same time it's less tolerant to marginal shift technique because there is less inertia. Some manufacturers (Exedy, I think) will lighten the flywheel while trying to keep most of the remaining weight around the outside of the wheel. This helps to maintain the spinning inertia, while still removing weight and rotational mass.
If that's the case I think my only option is to change the flywheel (most likely with an Exedy Stage 1kit)
I actually knew the disadvantages of lighter flywheel but just didn't know it would still help the faster revving when clutch is disengaged.
Thanks again

BTW, I also ordered Cusco accelerator pedal so maybe it may help a little bit..ugh
Old 06-07-2014, 01:19 AM   #13
tbertran

Drives: Subaru BRZ (6027xx) Premium Manual
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Stiffer motor mounts would probably help too. Less slack under load. More NVH though...
FT86SpeedFactory catted UEL Header / GReddy EVO3 Catback / Cosworth Drop-in air filter / Shifteck short throw shifter / Kartboy pulley / Rear bumper diffuser / Perrin shorty antenna / Raceseng Slammer knob / Carsmo armrest / Clear side markers / 10" CustomSubEnclosure|Rockford R500X1D|Rockford P3D4-10 / Perrin Inlet Hose / GrimmSpeed front strut bar / Valentine V1 with BlendMount / All LED Inside
tbertran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tbertran For This Useful Post:
glamcem (06-07-2014)
Old 06-07-2014, 01:42 AM   #14
D K
Stig's dark passenger

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
That's what I thought, how can the lightweight flywheel affect the engine speed when clutch is not engaged ?

Oh gawd
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D K For This Useful Post:
CSG David (06-07-2014)