follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-03-2014, 06:08 PM   #15
akahenry

Drives: '18 STi
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgi0424 View Post
haha I think that's what I'm opting for since I learned that there's another cat on the front pipe and so my exhaust won't reek of fumes.

last question, will an aftermarket header void my warranty?
yeah it'll void your warranty, unless you don't tune your car with the header. if you just change the header and not tune the car, your warranty will be technically still in tact. the thing is that, why buy a header and not tune your car? tuning your car help your car in every way, from gas milage to torque dip- plus it's safer than the stock tune as well. if you don't tune your car and have a header, your car will run quite hot or lean. tuning helps with cooling the car down, aka run slightly richer.
akahenry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to akahenry For This Useful Post:
giorgi0424 (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 09:40 PM   #16
giorgi0424

Drives: '14 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by akahenry View Post
yeah it'll void your warranty, unless you don't tune your car with the header. if you just change the header and not tune the car, your warranty will be technically still in tact. the thing is that, why buy a header and not tune your car? tuning your car help your car in every way, from gas milage to torque dip- plus it's safer than the stock tune as well. if you don't tune your car and have a header, your car will run quite hot or lean. tuning helps with cooling the car down, aka run slightly richer.
Yeah I'd definitely tune it, but now I don't know if I can risk having my warranty voided! MEH.

so getting a catback won't void my warranty because I know they don't require tunes, which means I may have to go with a catback instead, until I have this car for like 36k miles when the bumper-to-bumper warranty expires
giorgi0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:40 PM   #17
giorgi0424

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahdizzle View Post
Also, HKS has a Catted UEL header.
and thanks for your input

...and wtf you and ramiram are throwing me off with your identical profile picture! lol
Old 06-03-2014, 09:47 PM   #18
drewbot
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S A/T
Thanked 1,452 Times in 752 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
and thanks for your input

...and wtf you and ramiram are throwing me off with your identical profile picture! lol
lol bro you have to read the prom thread
drewbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:12 PM   #19
giorgi0424

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbot View Post
lol bro you have to read the prom thread
I'll look into that...lol

Hold up, so is the point of a catted header that I won't need a tune? or are the cats irrelevant to the car needing a tune or not after getting a new header
Old 06-03-2014, 10:41 PM   #20
giorgi0424

Garage
LMFAO I just looked up the prom thread and read the first 6 pages. It took that long to then all of a sudden realize that the profile pics of so many members are that freaks face pinched hahahaha!

but really, that guy looks to have the same facial characteristics/appearance of the people that go and do mass-murders or something along the lines

And also, reading that thread should be like the "christening" of all new members
The Following User Says Thank You to giorgi0424 For This Useful Post:
drewbot (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 10:43 PM   #21
drewbot
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S A/T
Thanked 1,452 Times in 752 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Hold up, so is the point of a catted header that I won't need a tune? or are the cats irrelevant to the car needing a tune or not after getting a new header
Any aftermarket header should have a tune, regardless if it is catted or not.

You changed the flow characteristics of the exhaust (and also the cat in some cases), so best get a tune that a) is safer than the OEM tune for your setup and b) makes more gains.

You're spending $600-$1500 on a header + install time for gains, why not do it right with a tune?
drewbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:49 PM   #22
Sypher

Drives: '13 Ultramarine FR-S M/T
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
I got my carted header for 2 reasons. 1. I don't have the money right now to get a tune and the cat keeps from a CEL. 2. It reduces the volume of the exhaust versus uncatted. My set up is loud enough for me at WOT but is quiet enough under normal driving to not draw unwanted attention

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2014, 07:58 AM   #23
mid_life_crisis

Drives: FR-S 10 #103 AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
When it comes to exhausts, I'm really not familiar. I never though cats were part of the headers on cars, I thought they were later on in the system.
Depends on the car. Sometimes they're separate, sometimes they're made as one piece.
My experience says that Subaru is unusual, probably because of the flat piston layout limiting design choices. The primary cat is always as close to the engine as is reasonably possible to make it efficient by keeping as much exhaust heat as possible going into it.
mid_life_crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:13 PM   #24
Optimus Prime

Drives: Whiteout 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
@giorgi0424 I see you're in PA. As far as emissions, they don't do a sniff test unless your car is older than 1996 or so I think. I believe you'd be subject to an OBDII Check (ie no CEL) and a visual inspection. Depending on who does your inspection, they could technically fail you if you go with a catless header. I researched this a month ago or so. I decided when I do get a header, I'm going with P&L EL Catted. As was stated on first page, you also technically could fail for even removing/replacing the factory cat. I don't think most places will care so long as you don't throw any CELs and you have some form of cat there from a visual standpont.

Just my .02.
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Optimus Prime For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (12-06-2015), giorgi0424 (06-06-2014)
Old 06-04-2014, 10:32 PM   #25
giorgi0424

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sypher View Post
I got my carted header for 2 reasons. 1. I don't have the money right now to get a tune and the cat keeps from a CEL. 2. It reduces the volume of the exhaust versus uncatted. My set up is loud enough for me at WOT but is quiet enough under normal driving to not draw unwanted attention

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
so, no tune = no void of warranty. I knew there was a good reason for a catted header
Old 06-04-2014, 10:36 PM   #26
giorgi0424

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
@giorgi0424 I see you're in PA. As far as emissions, they don't do a sniff test unless your car is older than 1996 or so I think. I believe you'd be subject to an OBDII Check (ie no CEL) and a visual inspection. Depending on who does your inspection, they could technically fail you if you go with a catless header. I researched this a month ago or so. I decided when I do get a header, I'm going with P&L EL Catted. As was stated on first page, you also technically could fail for even removing/replacing the factory cat. I don't think most places will care so long as you don't throw any CELs and you have some form of cat there from a visual standpont.

Just my .02.
hmmm okay, interesting! I work at a jaguar dealership, so as far as inspections go, I could probably always pass as long as the obdII check is okay. I just don't want my entire 36k mile bumper-to-bumper warranty to be voided yet, because like i said I just got this car. So i guess that's why i have to go with a catted header so that my car won't require a tune which would void the warranty
Old 06-05-2014, 10:35 AM   #27
Optimus Prime

Drives: Whiteout 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
... I just don't want my entire 36k mile bumper-to-bumper warranty to be voided yet, because like i said I just got this car. So i guess that's why i have to go with a catted header so that my car won't require a tune which would void the warranty
keep in mind that with any mods a warranty COULD be voided. They would have to prove that swapping out a header(or intake or any other non-TRD mod) was the root cause of a failure. If you want absolute peace of mind on the warranty, don't swap out the header until after it expires. Otherwise, you are going to take a gamble as to whether anything will happen and then if the warranty is honored. You need to think about the risk vs reward so to speak.
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Optimus Prime For This Useful Post:
giorgi0424 (06-06-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 10:38 AM   #28
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
that's why i have to go with a catted header so that my car won't require a tune which would void the warranty
Can you tell me why a catted header means dealership won't deny warranty?

Tags
brz, header, jdl, speedfactoroy, uel