follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 05-10-2014, 09:09 AM   #15
lbroskee

Drives: 2023 WRB BRZ (MT)
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
ill elaborate for Lexusb3 so ppl aren't so butthurt...

it is def a good kit for the money, but for the money u better expect to b missing some small stuff that ill need to pick up and once in a while some ppl do get a bad fabled piece, but u can get it replaced (just don't b a prick about it). also this is not his DD so if it needs to go in the shop for tweaks it can. even he will tell u his setup is not the BEST out there, I'm sure @Sportsguy83 beats him on that.

as fas as simple tho just go with FBM, same kit but it's more 1-and-done
lbroskee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lbroskee For This Useful Post:
jamesm (05-10-2014), lexusb3 (05-10-2014), Sportsguy83 (05-10-2014)
Old 05-10-2014, 09:23 AM   #16
lexusb3
Banned

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbroskee View Post
ill elaborate for Lexusb3 so ppl aren't so butthurt...

it is def a good kit for the money, but for the money u better expect to b missing some small stuff that ill need to pick up and once in a while some ppl do get a bad fabled piece, but u can get it replaced (just don't b a prick about it). also this is not his DD so if it needs to go in the shop for tweaks it can. even he will tell u his setup is not the BEST out there, I'm sure @Sportsguy83 beats him on that.

as fas as simple tho just go with FBM, same kit but it's more 1-and-done
It's all good I forgot ppl are still hurt over some old news last year to be honest oh we'll. there still in business and another member purchased a kit so they must be doing something different. Thanks rick
lexusb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lexusb3 For This Useful Post:
lbroskee (05-14-2014)
Old 05-10-2014, 09:27 AM   #17
Frs300

Drives: Pile of junk
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusb3 View Post
It's all good I forgot ppl are still hurt over some old news last year to be honest oh we'll. there still in business and another member purchased a kit so they must be doing something different. Thanks rick
Its not old news because im still without a car and ppl are still getting bunk shit.
Frs300 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Frs300 For This Useful Post:
Ammonia (05-10-2014), cf6mech (05-10-2014), ericmpena (05-11-2014), flippy (06-10-2015), Mad1723 (05-13-2014), Nomed Alucard (05-11-2014), paddleshifter (05-11-2014), pmccut (05-11-2014), SalM (05-12-2014), slicktop (05-13-2014), woode (05-11-2014), zoth (05-12-2014)
Old 05-10-2014, 09:37 AM   #18
lexusb3
Banned

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frs300 View Post
Its not old news because im still without a car and ppl are still getting bunk shit.
K
lexusb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:50 AM   #19
ecko04
Seems Legit

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1399729843708.jpg
Views: 4959
Size:  43.2 KB
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ecko04 For This Useful Post:
lexusb3 (05-10-2014), radroach (05-11-2014)
Old 05-10-2014, 10:14 AM   #20
bren5279

Drives: series.blurrr
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
twin scroll is a waste. IMO Fullblown, JDL, and MAP make the best turbo kits.
Why is twin scroll a waste?

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker741 View Post
I'm gonna say this nicely because others won't... You gotta search. Use the sub forum for forced induction. There's a ton of info in there. You will learn who to stay away from, what power you can expect, and other useful stuff.
I did and have read through several of them, but the best way to cover all bases are to get peoples feedback from members that have already been down this road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjedi View Post
I really like the PTUNING, JDL and MAP kits, but I chose SBD because:

1. a tune with electronic boost control is included
2. i only care about flat torque curve, not peak hp numbers
3. i want to keep stock fuel system, stock exhaust, stock washer bottle, headlight washers, and maybe even stock clutch
4. i need to have easy access to the air filter for maintenance - removing the bumper every 3 month would be a pain

So PTUNING kit didn't qualify because it removes washer bottle, MAP kit didn't qualify because it places ait filter inside the bumper. I really considered the JDL kit for some time, but I don't have any local tuners, and JDL doesn't provide ANY basemap. I didn't want to leave my car undriveable after installation until i arrange some remote custom tuning, so i went with SBD. It's not installed yet, waiting for some parts to arrive, planning to do it later this month. I'll do a review after that.
Perfect thanks thats exactly what I was looking for!

And from the feedback sounds like its a good idea to stay away from fa20 kit
bren5279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:58 AM   #21
AllDayJonRay

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Also take a look through each respective kit's 'Owner's Topics' thread to see some common issues you may find with each kit.

Heat in the engine bay as a serious problem has been a theme amongst all front mounted kits (especially if you plan on any kind of track duty). PTuning seems be the only current maker (correct me if I'm wrong) that resolves this problem by location the turbo underneath the car and out of the engine bay. But of course, their kit comes with it's own concerns as well.

**I do not have any of these kits, but I try to keep up with the 'goings on' for a few of the kits I'm interested in down the road.**

'13 Ultramarine 6MT FR-S || K&N Drop-In, SpeedFactory V1 Cat-Back || Moto-East tuned

Join the 86 Owners Clan on Clash of Clans: "86 Owners" Password: "fa20" || Help us take over the world || Thread
AllDayJonRay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AllDayJonRay For This Useful Post:
Anthonytpt (05-16-2014), jamesm (05-11-2014), Sportsguy83 (05-10-2014)
Old 05-10-2014, 11:37 AM   #22
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
The AVO kit also puts the turbo under the car and is relatively low cost. If you buy it from certain shops they will include base maps for it. The AVO/PTuning kits do not require you remove the oil pan either which is a plus.

I went with the JDL based on price, quality, and turbo flexibility. I really like the PTuning kit because of the placement for heat and weight placement, but not the long IC piping and the cost is high.

Basemap didn't matter for me, as long as you are on stock injectors you can drive to a tuner, just stay out of the boost. I would never just rely on a tuner-supplied base map with this car, you really need a decent custom tune.

Some of the kits require you remove the front crash beam or modify it. MAP includes a new bumper bar. Greddy/SPD require a lot of cutting or removal. JDL requires you cut two small square sections out. Revolutions, PTuning, AVO leave it intact.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xwd For This Useful Post:
mfbmike (05-10-2014)
Old 05-10-2014, 12:35 PM   #23
AllDayJonRay

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
From what I understand the placement of the turbo on the AVO kit is still within the skid plate between the engine/radiator area, right? Still traps heat more than placing the turbo in the trans tunnel, but certainly doesn't create the same level of concern with soak in the engine bay (melting fans).

Also, while I do not have experience with any of these kits, A theme I have noticed is people who have not experienced the @ptuning kit critiquing the length of the I/C piping, while PTuning themselves have stood by the design and expressed that they have no concerns that the design extends the boost threshold or transient response with use of "long" I/C piping, and have also shared that, based on their experience with turbochargers and other platforms, the open and free-flowing entry and exit of gases to & from the system (intake air & exhaust gas) plays a larger role in performance than I/C piping length. I have also yet to see an owner of the kit complain or comment on any lack of proper response or seen any data that would confirm that the design delays/hinders turbo spool/response.

I understand if the aesthetics of longer I/C piping is a turn off, but it seems that many people write the design off as 'not-ideal' for performance reasons (spool/response) with no data or experience to back up the notion, and in turn share this view as if this is actually the case. At best, this is an appeal to probability, but really lacks any evidence or data. If find this misleading to those seeking impartial* opinions.

I'm not pointing a finger at you for this, I'm just sharing the observation, as I have seen this happen quite a few times.

*Obviously, almost everyone on this forum's opinion will be partial to some extent. We're all human.

'13 Ultramarine 6MT FR-S || K&N Drop-In, SpeedFactory V1 Cat-Back || Moto-East tuned

Join the 86 Owners Clan on Clash of Clans: "86 Owners" Password: "fa20" || Help us take over the world || Thread
AllDayJonRay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AllDayJonRay For This Useful Post:
andrew20195 (05-17-2014), Darryljr11 (05-10-2014), rb6freak (05-11-2014)
Old 05-10-2014, 12:47 PM   #24
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,027 Times in 1,465 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren5279 View Post
Why is twin scroll a waste?

I did and have read through several of them, but the best way to cover all bases are to get peoples feedback from members that have already been down this road.

Perfect thanks thats exactly what I was looking for!

And from the feedback sounds like its a good idea to stay away from fa20 kit
For most people's requirements a nice sized turbo will spool very quickly and still provide a lot of room for top end power. To me using a twin scroll is just a bling factor and more of hey look at my car I have a twin scroll kit. Plus our engine bay is already cramped as it is. One more thing, beware the SPD kit will require you to heavily modify or even remove the cars crash beam. If this is your daily, I would highly consider that fact into your decision. Other then this, the kit is a great kit and at its price, holly smokes a very good deal.
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:51 PM   #25
spdbydesign

Drives: 2010 Nissan GTR
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Yes, you will need to notch your crash beam for the intercooler, or remove it entirely with the SPD or Greddy Turbo Kits.

It appears the Drift Armor Bar would likely fit, if you like this option. (Though we need to test to confirm.)

http://driftarmor.com/Scion_FRS_Drift_Bar.html

We may re-route the intercooler piping in the future (offer two flavors of the piping in essence), but the amazingly fast boost response makes the car so much fun to drive off idle. There's a reason the intercooler and piping was engineered for this location.

Neck snapping response, that you won't get re-routing the intercooler and extending the piping length.

It's a trade off either way, and the customer has to decide what sort of driving experience they want.

For a stock motor, stock fuel system FT86 looking for broadest power band and boost response, this kit is a blast and targeted for you.
spdbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spdbydesign For This Useful Post:
2ndgenhachi (05-16-2014)
Old 05-10-2014, 01:48 PM   #26
jflogerzi

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdbydesign View Post
Yes, you will need to notch your crash beam for the intercooler, or remove it entirely with the SPD or Greddy Turbo Kits.

It appears the Drift Armor Bar would likely fit, if you like this option. (Though we need to test to confirm.)

http://driftarmor.com/Scion_FRS_Drift_Bar.html

We may re-route the intercooler piping in the future (offer two flavors of the piping in essence), but the amazingly fast boost response makes the car so much fun to drive off idle. There's a reason the intercooler and piping was engineered for this location.

Neck snapping response, that you won't get re-routing the intercooler and extending the piping length.

It's a trade off either way, and the customer has to decide what sort of driving experience they want.

For a stock motor, stock fuel system FT86 looking for broadest power band and boost response, this kit is a blast and targeted for you.
Yup I understand why the ic piping is done this way. But people need to be aware of this. Btw I really like your kit. Good job and what a price.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
Old 05-10-2014, 07:26 PM   #27
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
What helped me was lurking on the forums for quite some time. It's still helping me now. Basically I listed a few questions I would ask myself about the shop and kit being offered:
1. Does it fit your budget. There are some awesome kits out there, but if it's too expensive for your tastes, don't do it.
2. Is the kit a complete kit? Or do I need to add bits on for extra?
3. Do I need to do any kind of cutting to the crash bar? (Important; I don't want to comprise structural safety)
4. Has the shop been successful on other platforms?
5. Could you buy the kit from the shop and install it and have it tuned by them as well? (Like FBM or PTuning)
6. Think of all the added things you will need; maybe upgraded radiator, oil cooler is a must, gauges? OBII reader for logs? Vented hood for cooling?

All these questions that are answered without a doubt by the turbo kit creator is probably a good fit for you.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:35 PM   #28
jflogerzi

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrazic93 View Post
What helped me was lurking on the forums for quite some time. It's still helping me now. Basically I listed a few questions I would ask myself about the shop and kit being offered:
1. Does it fit your budget. There are some awesome kits out there, but if it's too expensive for your tastes, don't do it.
2. Is the kit a complete kit? Or do I need to add bits on for extra?
3. Do I need to do any kind of cutting to the crash bar? (Important; I don't want to comprise structural safety)
4. Has the shop been successful on other platforms?
5. Could you buy the kit from the shop and install it and have it tuned by them as well? (Like FBM or PTuning)
6. Think of all the added things you will need; maybe upgraded radiator, oil cooler is a must, gauges? OBII reader for logs? Vented hood for cooling?

All these questions that are answered without a doubt by the turbo kit creator is probably a good fit for you.
These are good questions. Also can you afford to buy a new engine if god for bid something bad happens. Most people don't think about that. Granted if done right, the chances are low, but they are still there.
The Following User Says Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
cdrazic93 (05-10-2014)