follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) — General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) — General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

Register and become an FT86Club.com member. You will see fewer ads

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #43
blackmist27
Member
 
blackmist27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: Subaru BRZ
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 55
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
DROP THIS CAR LIKE ITS HOT! then wheels and then...? go drift somewhere... hahaha
__________________
04 BMW M3/ soon to add 13 Subaru BRZ
blackmist27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:27 PM   #44
prest1ge
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: VW, 2013 subaru brz limited swp 6mt
Location: Houston,TX
Posts: 84
Thanks: 7
Thanked 45 Times in 16 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Huper Optik Multi-Coated Ceramic window tints
Valentine 1 hardwired and attached to rear-view mirror mount
Cquartz full body paint protection coating

Later on:
-exhaust, intake, headers
-maybe coilovers
-18" wheels
prest1ge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:43 PM   #45
DEC1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Drives: '10 Infiniti G37 (pre-ordered BRZ)
Location: MA
Posts: 196
Thanks: 9
Thanked 51 Times in 26 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaruwrxfan View Post
Lol I'm surprised how many people are doing clear bras when people are so uptight on the price of the car. I'm still not sold on them considering the good stuff with a good installer is gonna be almost 1k. The instant you put it on your paint won't match the rest of the car, and it really looks like crap if you only do half the hood. Then you need a professional to take it off or else you're left with tons of sticky residue. I realize the car is low and is susceptible to more rock chips than your average car, but I'm just gonna take my chances. If the bumper needs to be repainted in 5 years or so, I'd rather just do that instead.

I'm just going to spend the whole rest of the day driving it around all of my favorite local roads...under 4k the whole time unfortunately
ummm...not true...it is not 1k...I've had it on my last 3 cars of various colors including black and you can barely tell its there (and I'm picky about that kind of thing) and it does a great job protecting the front bumper and in front of rear wheels at bottom...which is the only place I reco doing it. 1/3 of the hood (typ) is noticeable...and makes cleaning waxing etc difficult. The most I paid was 600...and that was for bumper, fender fronts, 1/3 hood, mirrors, and in front of rear wheels.

And for me, I will be taking it home, clay bar, and polish the crap out of it...because I will refuse to let the dealer touch it, detail it, wash it, fill it with gas, not even look at it if I can manage that! I have had more dealers ruin a perfectly good car by "getting it ready" than I care to count. My current black G looked like they detailed it with a rake. It took so much work to get it right...ugh. Never again!
DEC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:55 PM   #46
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
Giccin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Location: Orange County~~~
Posts: 5,162
Thanks: 4,345
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
I'm going to drive it slow and break it in.

:l

THEN go canyon carving in San Juan Capistrano canyon. :>
__________________
I am the Ice Queen.

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:04 PM   #47
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling
 
tranzformer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Drives: Zoom Zoom
Location: KS
Posts: 4,854
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEC1 View Post
ummm...not true...it is not 1k...I've had it on my last 3 cars of various colors including black and you can barely tell its there (and I'm picky about that kind of thing) and it does a great job protecting the front bumper and in front of rear wheels at bottom...which is the only place I reco doing it. 1/3 of the hood (typ) is noticeable...and makes cleaning waxing etc difficult. The most I paid was 600...and that was for bumper, fender fronts, 1/3 hood, mirrors, and in front of rear wheels.

And for me, I will be taking it home, clay bar, and polish the crap out of it...because I will refuse to let the dealer touch it, detail it, wash it, fill it with gas, not even look at it if I can manage that! I have had more dealers ruin a perfectly good car by "getting it ready" than I care to count. My current black G looked like they detailed it with a rake. It took so much work to get it right...ugh. Never again!

Sorry your dealer will have to inspect it, drive it around for a few blocks and fill it with gas prior to you getting it.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:16 PM   #48
NERO
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: 2012 Honda Ruckus
Location: Over There>
Posts: 132
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Drive it!!

I'll do some modding once the break in period is over. The first things will be tint, coilovers, wheels, rims, tower bars and sway bars.
NERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:25 PM   #49
Turbowned
Senior Member
 
Turbowned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 5,048
Thanks: 1,949
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
After driving it all over tarnation?

Springs and wheels! Hate, hate, hate the stock wheels, sorry guys.
__________________

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:32 PM   #50
Lytheum
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT
Location: Ohio
Posts: 427
Thanks: 49
Thanked 103 Times in 54 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
im hoping for a redline clutch dump in the showroom
Lytheum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:46 PM   #51
ashtray
As Seen On The Internet
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Drives: 2003 WRX, 2013 BRZ, 442
Location: SoCal
Posts: 852
Thanks: 23
Thanked 251 Times in 159 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
2 hours in the Malibu canyons should do.

Tint and vinyl at some point, though owners manual warned about tinting the rear window messing with the keyless entry.

Have been shopping for wheels for a few months already.
ashtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:05 AM   #52
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator
 
Dave-ROR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Drives: Stuff
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,317
Thanks: 955
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NERO View Post
Drive it!!

I'll do some modding once the break in period is over. The first things will be tint, coilovers, wheels, rims, tower bars and sway bars.
Pretty sure most wheels come with the rims.
__________________
-Dave
Track cars: 2013 Scion FRS, 1998 Acura Integra Type-R, 1993 Honda Civic Hatchback
DD: 2005 Acura TSX
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:38 AM   #53
Subaruwrxfan
Senior Member
 
Subaruwrxfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Drives: 2015 Mustang EcoBoost
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 796
Thanks: 274
Thanked 195 Times in 89 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEC1 View Post
ummm...not true...it is not 1k...I've had it on my last 3 cars of various colors including black and you can barely tell its there (and I'm picky about that kind of thing) and it does a great job protecting the front bumper and in front of rear wheels at bottom...which is the only place I reco doing it. 1/3 of the hood (typ) is noticeable...and makes cleaning waxing etc difficult. The most I paid was 600...and that was for bumper, fender fronts, 1/3 hood, mirrors, and in front of rear wheels.
Exactly. Barely, but you can tell. Would annoy the crap out of me. They put clear coats on a car for a reason. If it's so bad that it can't be buffed out, I'll just get it repainted.
__________________
Check out my BRZ videos on my YouTube page: youtube.com/subaruwrxfan
Subaruwrxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:02 AM   #54
dookie11
Senior Member
 
dookie11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Drives: Girls crazy with his booty
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,123
Thanks: 373
Thanked 63 Times in 41 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giccin View Post
I'm going to drive it slow and break it in.

:l

THEN go canyon carving in San Juan Capistrano canyon. :>
LOL u liar. First thing you're gonna do is take me shopping
__________________
dookie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:27 AM   #55
Oriental Life
Senior Member
 
Oriental Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Drives: Forester 2007, BRZ Limited '13
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 338
Thanks: 69
Thanked 60 Times in 31 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
40% tint all around
LoJack + GPS tracker + Motion/tilt sensor + maybe hidden mic and camera
Replace stock antenna with Shark Fin
Trash the Navigation, put a decent head unit
Install hidden rear(front) view camera, as I have in our family Fozzy (wife may drive the car occasionally)
Check\replace speakers with decent true component Polks or better all around.
Kenwood 800W amp and decent wiring. No sub.
While on it, soundproof empty spaces

But first things first - La Honda Road! SR-84, baby! From 101 to Half Moon Bay. Have that clam chowder at the Harbor and hit the nearest beach. On the way back turn to Skyline Blvd, drive thru Saratoga.

Finally, within 1st year look for folding electrical mirrors, and tailgate light as in EU\JDM version
Oriental Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:15 AM   #56
(K)
They call me..."Ken"...
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: '04 Accord V6 MT
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 260
Thanks: 24
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighting Red View Post
I would leave the oil in the car until the scheduled service is due. What happened in your case?
My dad bought a new 4cyl Camry coupe back in '94 with 10 miles on the odometer. He followed the typical break-in procedure; 1k miles, no redlining, varying engine speeds, etc, etc. When he took it in for the initial oil change the mechanic relayed to the service manager that the oil was more grainy and flaky "than usual". Dad didn't think much of it at the time, took the car back, and went about his business opening her up on the highway. Long story short, the motor started burning more and more oil as time went on and he was going through almost 2 qts of oil every other week. Eventually he took it in and got the engine replaced at 28,000 miles and had the oil changed at 500 and 1000 for break-in. Didn't have any issues after that. We suspected it was either some pre-delivery hoonage at the dealership or we just happened to be the lucky ones and got that one in a million bad motor.

In either case, whether it not it'll be a waste of money to change at 20 miles, it will at least be an early indicator before the 1k mark.
(K) is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
This whole withholding price thing is really annoying me Hanzo BRZ First-Gen (2012+) — General Topics 13 03-19-2012 11:32 PM
Increased media chatter can only mean one thing... sieeegel BRZ First-Gen (2012+) — General Topics 138 03-16-2012 10:19 AM
No push button start a good thing? Syldrin Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 130 12-13-2011 07:06 PM
Toyota HDTV car thing...Pretty neat Zaku Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions 7 12-05-2011 08:12 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.