follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 04-28-2014, 03:00 AM   #939
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,187 Times in 6,839 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by u/Josh View Post
I plan to start tracking my car fairly regularly (~1 per month) and Im considering buying an Essex sprint kit rather than just upgrading pads and fluids. I would be doing it purely for the decreased consumables cost.

The question I have is, I know the CSG car used to have a sprint kit, but I think the new car is using stock brakes with upgraded pads, why?
We may have upgraded to an Endurance kit...

YMWV (your mileage will vary), but at the pace we run our car, we WILL fade the sprint kit. Rather than using ducting, the superior solution is a larger brake system that will reach equilibrium without the need for ducts. Ducts will lower the equilibrium point, but at the cost of larger temperature swings, which cause rotors to crack when you're getting them glowing hot the way we are. The Endurance kit also includes duct openings, so if we DO need to add ducts later, the base points are already there and we just need to add tubing. #doublewinning

You are correct, the BBK reduces operating cost in the long term, significantly. Let us know when you're ready to purchase.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
AZP Installs (04-28-2014), Chazzzy (09-14-2016)
Old 04-28-2014, 03:03 AM   #940
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
My same point still applies. With stiffer springs, you'll want *stiffer* sways, not NO sways, in order to sufficiently augment roll stiffness. That is, if you don't want the suspension travel you use in cornering to be greater than that used under braking.
No sway/anti-roll bars => you're either softer in cornering than ideal or stiffer under braking than ideal.
Remember that our range of articulation is significantly smaller
Old 04-28-2014, 10:16 AM   #941
Porsche

Drives: 2013 BRZ Ltd. MT
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
Could this not be avoided by adding sufficient amount of camber?

I expect Mike can sell you the components to optimize the front camber to achieve the best balance of grip and tire wear.

Quote:
You write very well, sir. Do you have a blog or something? Maybe you should consider, if not.
I do not have a blog. However, I appreciate this compliment. That was very thoughtful of you. Thank you.

And thank you, too, for not taking offense at my using you as a foil to make a few points that I think would apply to the majority of drivers first getting started in performance driving. Your experience and exuberant approach mirrors most drivers at the beginning of their careers.

Quote:
I tend to think Mr. Rod Millen to be brave, skilled, and old in equal parts. lol
I hear ya. LOL. Pro rallying, racing though the woods inches from the trees and teetering on the brink of major drop-offs, not to mention Pikes Peak... Yikes! Those guys are not so much brave as downright CRAZY!

Real racing should have consequences. They have that in abundance in that domain, don't they?

I have huge respect for those guys.

And how about that Isle of Man TT? Now that's racing. That's like back in the "good old days." Dangerous as hell ... but I miss watching that.
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Porsche For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (04-28-2014), kavanagh (04-28-2014), solidONE (04-28-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 11:39 AM   #942
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
...which cause rotors to crack when you're getting them glowing hot the way we are.
Pics?
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:29 PM   #943
orthojoe

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
Pics?
Did someone say glowing stock rotors?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTtxaoL14oE"]Subaru BRZ at Laguna Seca - YouTube[/ame]
bedabi (05-02-2014), CSG Mike (04-28-2014), gramicci101 (04-28-2014), hyper4mance (04-29-2014), jonnyozero3 (04-28-2014), juliog (04-28-2014), Porsche (04-28-2014), solidONE (04-29-2014), troek (04-28-2014), TylerLieberman (05-25-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 02:07 PM   #944
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
Pics?
Check out the CSG Facebook page... but here's a few from there.

This also illustrates brake balance adjustments via pad compound. The top car is running properly balanced pads, whereas the bottom car only has front race pads on (with a Sprint BBK).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Chazzzy (09-14-2016), gramicci101 (04-28-2014), WoOosOn (04-28-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 07:40 PM   #945
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Well... there is some slop in the stock toe adjuster, so I wouldn't go as far as calling it useless. IMO It's more 'insurance' and getting rid of the redundant stock adjuster once you add toe arms.

Since I failed to measure the front height the last time I was checking the rear toe setting to account for the effect of change in rake I think I will make it a point to do some more experimenting and visit sears a few more times. Hurray for free alignment checks!
Drove my car to near empty to Sears and took out the spare and tools before getting my free check. This was came out of their machine this time.....

So much for getting free alignment confirmations from Sears...
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:03 PM   #946
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
I expect Mike can sell you the components to optimize the front camber to achieve the best balance of grip and tire wear.

I do not have a blog. However, I appreciate this compliment. That was very thoughtful of you. Thank you.

And thank you, too, for not taking offense at my using you as a foil to make a few points that I think would apply to the majority of drivers first getting started in performance driving. Your experience and exuberant approach mirrors most drivers at the beginning of their careers.

I hear ya. LOL. Pro rallying, racing though the woods inches from the trees and teetering on the brink of major drop-offs, not to mention Pikes Peak... Yikes! Those guys are not so much brave as downright CRAZY!

Real racing should have consequences. They have that in abundance in that domain, don't they?

I have huge respect for those guys.

And how about that Isle of Man TT? Now that's racing. That's like back in the "good old days." Dangerous as hell ... but I miss watching that.
No offence taken. It's true, I'd give my left pinkie if I knew that will shave a good 10-15 seconds off my average lap times. I'm just surprised that there are not more guys like me. I assumed all enthusiast to think much like I do. I openly acknowledged my level of "suckage" on the track even before I posted on this thread. The lack of budget, time, experience and budget puts me in position I'm in. I've worked with cars and car related stuffs for years hoping to get a chance/excuse to drive one on a racetrack. Thank God it has become so much more accessible now. I'm not as young as I may appear to be. Maybe just "young" in the bank account. lol

Isle of Man is for lunatics... I love it!
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to solidONE For This Useful Post:
Porsche (04-28-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 08:14 PM   #947
gramicci101
Off Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthojoe View Post
Did someone say glowing stock rotors?

Subaru BRZ at Laguna Seca - YouTube
That looks like so much fun! I can't afford to play those games.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:22 PM   #948
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
No offence taken. It's true, I'd give my left pinkie if I knew that will shave a good 10-15 seconds off my average lap times. I'm just surprised that there are not more guys like me. I assumed all enthusiast to think much like I do. I openly acknowledged my level of "suckage" on the track even before I posted on this thread. The lack of budget, time, experience and budget puts me in position I'm in. I've worked with cars and car related stuffs for years hoping to get a chance/excuse to drive one on a racetrack. Thank God it has become so much more accessible now. I'm not as young as I may appear to be. Maybe just "young" in the bank account. lol

Isle of Man is for lunatics... I love it!
Track days are definitely not for your average budget even if you drive some beat up Civic. I think that's one of the reasons people do autocross instead even though the driving time is much less. It's still cheaper nonetheless.

Even karting can get pretty expensive depending how serious you want to get. Bottom line, all hobbies are a drain and a waste of money.
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:46 PM   #949
krl

Drives: blue brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
> This also illustrates brake balance adjustments via pad compound. The top car
> is running properly balanced pads, whereas the bottom car only has front race
> pads on (with a Sprint BBK).

Mike,
Got any suggestions for pads in rear stock brakes to match essex sprint kit up front with porterfield r4-s pads?

- Keith
krl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:57 PM   #950
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by krl View Post
> This also illustrates brake balance adjustments via pad compound. The top car
> is running properly balanced pads, whereas the bottom car only has front race
> pads on (with a Sprint BBK).

Mike,
Got any suggestions for pads in rear stock brakes to match essex sprint kit up front with porterfield r4-s pads?

- Keith
Use the same compound in the rear... I'm not sure they make the fitment.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:27 PM   #951
gramicci101
Off Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Use the same compound in the rear... I'm not sure they make the fitment.
If you're running something like a sprint or endurance kit in the front, is running the OEM rear setup with a matching pad compound really going to provide proper balance to the brake system?
Old 04-28-2014, 11:42 PM   #952
Porsche

Drives: 2013 BRZ Ltd. MT
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthojoe View Post
Did someone say glowing stock rotors

Joe, your videos are some of the most thoughtfully edited and best assembled on the web. They are just marvelous and I always enjoy them. Not many videos are worth repeated viewings, but yours sure are.

Thank you for the effort that you put into these "professional" productions.
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Porsche For This Useful Post:
orthojoe (04-29-2014)