follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

Register and become an FT86Club.com member. You will see fewer ads

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-24-2014, 05:11 PM   #15
DeeezNuuuts83
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Location: Southern California
Posts: 997
Thanks: 115
Thanked 254 Times in 170 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gords_zenith View Post
Only the the first three gears have triple syncros and are designed for "banging" gears but 4th, 5th, and 6th are only double, so like the other guy said, just slow down on shifting. You'll notice that the gears will go in a lot smoother with a lighter touch....do this even for the first 3 as well and your transmission will last for much longer time.
I was going to point out the syncros. That being said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iStanley View Post
It does help if you slowly engage into 4th. I just thought it was made to quickly shift with no problem.
The car is indeed made to shift. But given a car's purpose and in what gears it will most likely see the most action, certain gears have more synchros than others to help make shifting as good as it can be.

Like Gords_zenith said, the first three gears have more syncros, since that's what most people will be in when driving competitively or spiritedly in conditions that require use of the steering wheel. For example, in an autocross, you likely won't go any higher than third gear in most cars. Some cars with a tall first gear and a lot of power throughout the rev range (like Corvettes) sometimes don't ever get out of first gear. Or for drifters, they're likely not going to be in fourth gear either when lighting up their tires.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:23 PM   #16
Norton 850
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Location: Houston
Posts: 27
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Yes, to answer your question, many people have had problems with the Aisin manual gearbox that's in your car.

And many have had the gearbox replaced under warranty. Quite frankly the Aisin gearbox is not fit for purpose and should be fixed under warranty. Notably, Aisin makes hundreds of thousands of gearboxes for all sorts of vehicles, so they know how to make a quality gearbox. For some reason the box they supplied to Toyota and Subaru for the "twins" is by no means a quality product. If I were you I would take the car to the dealer and demand the gearbox be replaced under warranty.
Norton 850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:46 PM   #17
bjun
Senior Member
 
bjun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Drives: white premium brz M/T
Location: .
Posts: 709
Thanks: 406
Thanked 220 Times in 130 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
I have the same problem. Everytime I shift from 3rd to 4th gear in high revs it grinds horribly. And in the long run, I know my gears going to break :/
You should get yours fixed under warranty while you still have it
bjun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:48 PM   #18
Calidrifter
@Executive_chicken
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: Firestorm FR-S, Audi A3 E-tron
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,157
Thanks: 106
Thanked 469 Times in 289 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Next time it happens make a note of exactly where in the Rev band it happened. Not sure if you had the tech shift at the "high" rev you were talking about.

If he does it and no noise it's you.

It's probably going to be you 90% of the time on an MT.
__________________
Club 4AG | Apex'i | HKS | GrimmSpeed | TRD | Beat Sonic | ENKEI | Cusco | Fujitsubo


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
That guy, like me after BBQ Thursdays, is full of shit.
Calidrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:39 PM   #19
iStanley
They call me Stan
 
iStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Location: Boiling Springs, SC
Posts: 201
Thanks: 47
Thanked 96 Times in 61 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton 850 View Post
Yes, to answer your question, many people have had problems with the Aisin manual gearbox that's in your car.

And many have had the gearbox replaced under warranty. Quite frankly the Aisin gearbox is not fit for purpose and should be fixed under warranty. Notably, Aisin makes hundreds of thousands of gearboxes for all sorts of vehicles, so they know how to make a quality gearbox. For some reason the box they supplied to Toyota and Subaru for the "twins" is by no means a quality product. If I were you I would take the car to the dealer and demand the gearbox be replaced under warranty.
Thank you for all the information. I will be taking it in to the dealership tomorrow. They say they will let it sit for an hour in order to get a somewhat cold start.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
iStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:55 PM   #20
iStanley
They call me Stan
 
iStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Location: Boiling Springs, SC
Posts: 201
Thanks: 47
Thanked 96 Times in 61 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The rep and I test drove the BRZ (9k miles) and he agreed that it was a lot smoother. When he drove my frs (13k), I could of sworn it grinded but he said that it was just a bit notchy, and it was probably due to the previous owner. He also said it isn't a performance car and it could only go so far. He said he will order fluid and look at the magnet to see any brass or residue and that he'll order some shift thing to stop the rattling

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
iStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:02 PM   #21
shattered_memory
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Drives: Satin White BRZ Limited
Location: SOCAL
Posts: 182
Thanks: 59
Thanked 60 Times in 40 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I had the same exact problem. There's a problem with your transmission. I had to get my transmission replaced with an updated one. The tranny that the car comes with is garbage. The new tranny that I have now is ridiculously smooth now. Do whatever you can to get a brand new tranny. I was lucky to not have any issues with the dealer. I have a thread on the 2014 problems that gives some detail on the tranny issue I had. Hope this helps.

Also, when I had faulty tranny, it grinded into 4th gear at around 6,000 rpm. Make sure that the dealer tests the car when shifting at a higher rpm. They will not be able to feel the problem if they shift at a lower rpm.
shattered_memory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:14 PM   #22
iStanley
They call me Stan
 
iStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Location: Boiling Springs, SC
Posts: 201
Thanks: 47
Thanked 96 Times in 61 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shattered_memory View Post
I had the same exact problem. There's a problem with your transmission. I had to get my transmission replaced with an updated one. The tranny that the car comes with is garbage. The new tranny that I have now is ridiculously smooth now. Do whatever you can to get a brand new tranny. I was lucky to not have any issues with the dealer. I have a thread on the 2014 problems that gives some detail on the tranny issue I had. Hope this helps.

Also, when I had faulty tranny, it grinded into 4th gear at around 6,000 rpm. Make sure that the dealer tests the car when shifting at a higher rpm. They will not be able to feel the problem if they shift at a lower rpm.
Thanks for your response! It's good to know that someone else had the exact problem. Just curious, what was the Toyota rep's steps? Like did he drive it and felt something which led him to change the fluids?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
iStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:24 PM   #23
shattered_memory
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Drives: Satin White BRZ Limited
Location: SOCAL
Posts: 182
Thanks: 59
Thanked 60 Times in 40 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iStanley View Post
Thanks for your response! It's good to know that someone else had the exact problem. Just curious, what was the Toyota rep's steps? Like did he drive it and felt something which led him to change the fluids?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
What I did was make an appointment at the dealer for the problem I had. I was very specific with my issue (When driving onto the fwy, transmission grinds from 3rd to 4th when shifting at 6,000 rpm). The dealer took note of it and had a rep test drive the car. The rep immediately told me that there is a grind and that they will replace the whole transmission under warranty. They didn't waste my time with switching out fluids and what not. In general, fluids aren't going to fix an on going problem. Btw it was at a subaru dealer. Hopefully the toyota dealer will also be forgiving to you.
shattered_memory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:36 PM   #24
iStanley
They call me Stan
 
iStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Location: Boiling Springs, SC
Posts: 201
Thanks: 47
Thanked 96 Times in 61 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shattered_memory View Post
What I did was make an appointment at the dealer for the problem I had. I was very specific with my issue (When driving onto the fwy, transmission grinds from 3rd to 4th when shifting at 6,000 rpm). The dealer took note of it and had a rep test drive the car. The rep immediately told me that there is a grind and that they will replace the whole transmission under warranty. They didn't waste my time with switching out fluids and what not. In general, fluids aren't going to fix an on going problem. Btw it was at a subaru dealer. Hopefully the toyota dealer will also be forgiving to you.
Oh I see, Subaru dealers seem to cut the bullshit haha. My rep said he will order fluid and change it out, as well as check my magnet to see for any shrapnel or brass. If there is any, he said that I will get a new tranny. On a side note, he said that he will also fix the shaking shift knob issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
iStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 04:05 PM   #25
WNDSRFR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Drives: FR-S,GTI
Location: Cocoa, Florida
Posts: 1,193
Thanks: 239
Thanked 875 Times in 445 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
No
DEMAND a new transmission. The car is under warranty and I had the same problem with 5th gear. Oil is not going to do it.


I had mine replaced and I think they upgraded it somewhere along the line because the new one has no issues at all.


My original trans clunked into 1st gear always (they say that's normal) it isn't.


So go to the dealer and DEMAND a new transmission.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:33 PM   #26
iStanley
They call me Stan
 
iStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Location: Boiling Springs, SC
Posts: 201
Thanks: 47
Thanked 96 Times in 61 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
No
DEMAND a new transmission. The car is under warranty and I had the same problem with 5th gear. Oil is not going to do it.


I had mine replaced and I think they upgraded it somewhere along the line because the new one has no issues at all.


My original trans clunked into 1st gear always (they say that's normal) it isn't.


So go to the dealer and DEMAND a new transmission.
They told me that they can't replace anything unless they find some brass on the magnet. They also told me that it's very rare for them to replace an entire transmission and that they will most likely replace a part or just the synchros. I'm hoping for a complete tranny though. My service advisor said he will be back on Tuesday or Wednesday. Even though he said he hopes they send a brand new transmission instead of fixing a part in the transmission, why do they seem so hesitant on giving me anything until I got really upset? By the way, he knew that it was my first manual.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
iStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:00 PM   #27
mike the snake
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Drives: 2013 BRZ
Location: Norcal
Posts: 1,592
Thanks: 1
Thanked 623 Times in 378 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iStanley View Post
They told me that they can't replace anything unless they find some brass on the magnet. They also told me that it's very rare for them to replace an entire transmission and that they will most likely replace a part or just the synchros. I'm hoping for a complete tranny though. My service advisor said he will be back on Tuesday or Wednesday. Even though he said he hopes they send a brand new transmission instead of fixing a part in the transmission, why do they seem so hesitant on giving me anything until I got really upset? By the way, he knew that it was my first manual.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

They'll never find brass on the magnet, because brass is not magnetic.
mike the snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:46 PM   #28
iStanley
They call me Stan
 
iStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Location: Boiling Springs, SC
Posts: 201
Thanks: 47
Thanked 96 Times in 61 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
They'll never find brass on the magnet, because brass is not magnetic.
That's what he said too, but he went in depth about a pipe I'd some sort and brass I think and finding shrapnel as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
iStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How would you shift from 4 to 5? qqzj BRZ First-Gen (2012+) — General Topics 37 05-01-2014 08:10 PM
You know what really grinds my gears...... z3ro Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] 7 10-10-2013 01:55 PM
HUD shift up and shift down display question JS86JS Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment 6 05-17-2013 02:54 AM
What really grinds my gears! CircuitJerk Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] 124 04-01-2013 08:45 PM
How do you shift? Carbon420 Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 27 12-30-2012 01:11 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.