follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 04-22-2014, 06:46 PM   #155
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Assuming they don't make any stupid mistakes, this new Miata could be a real competitor! In my opinion, the Miata has always been lacking in a few areas: power, fuel economy, styling, technology (eg. no nav system), and too much body roll. There is a good chance that they will address all of these things with the next generation. The SkyActiv engine is capable of producing a lot of power while retaining good fuel economy. So this thing could be as fun or even more fun than an S2000 if they do it right.

And so I really hope that they revise the 86/BRZ next year to combat it.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:10 PM   #156
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sato View Post
Kinda disagree... I'm sure we don't need a drag racer miata, but just sticking an economy engine carried over from the Mazda3 is lazy. They can do better.

I mean, why have a turbo miata special edition, or keep increasing engine power throughout production years if it was just a nice to have?

Sent from my C6906 using Tapatalk
the maita has always had the economy engine taken from the 3 so i dont see why it would be a problem now. its not lazy. its cost effective. if you want the cheapest convertible sports car, there are going to be compromises and that is such a small compromise and im sure it saves some serious money.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:24 PM   #157
sato

Drives: Dodge Patitas
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
But didn't the later miata engines have a bit more power than the regular powerplants? Id say those are different engines. If they massaged the CX5 engine to developed a bit more power, I'd be satisfied with the Miata platform.

On the other topic, with the Miata possibly weighing something in the neighborhood of 2000 pounds, that sexy double wishbone suspension all around, and possibly 170ish Hp, I see the twins competing if they add some power to even the Hp to weight ratio.

Very eager to see what Mazda can bring to the table

sato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:32 PM   #158
fatoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by sato View Post
But didn't the later miata engines have a bit more power than the regular powerplants? Id say those are different engines. If they massaged the CX5 engine to developed a bit more power, I'd be satisfied with the Miata platform.

On the other topic, with the Miata possibly weighing something in the neighborhood of 2000 pounds, that sexy double wishbone suspension all around, and possibly 170ish Hp, I see the twins competing if they add some power to even the Hp to weight ratio.

Very eager to see what Mazda can bring to the table

i doubt its going to be directly ripped out of a 3. im sure there will be differences. they havent mentioned anything either way so i dont know why youre calling them lazy. i dont think mazda cares about the twins. just like they didnt care about all the other competition. whether thats a good or bad thing boils down to opinion but i appreciate the fact that they have always built the car they want instead of responding to the market. thats how compromises happen and its why cars are heavy and have 400hp..
Old 04-22-2014, 07:35 PM   #159
Sideways&Smiling

Drives: AP2 S2000, S14 240sx
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
For those who complain about the Miata's looks, it can be more aggressive...

Sideways&Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sideways&Smiling For This Useful Post:
Atropine (04-23-2014), userjack6880 (04-24-2014), zigzagz94 (04-22-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 07:38 PM   #160
sato

Garage
Not Mazda, but anybody who doesn't put in a bit more effort. It might have made sense for Toyota to put the "remaining" 2az-fe engines in the Matrix and Corolla XRS models, but they certainly weren't more exciting than the earlier models with the 2zzge (taken out due to emission compliance issues?).

Subaru also carried over the previous STI engine into the new chassis for 2015... Even if.the.overall packaged significantly improves from the previous model, it has not been received that we'll.

Don't call it lazy; call it lame then. Jajaja

Old 04-22-2014, 07:42 PM   #161
sato

Garage
That said, I like those little SkyActive engine. The 2.5 hauls @SS, despite what the numbers say. I just think that if they keep the same engine and just put a close ratio manual transmission in for better acceleration, they could cut fuel economy a bit. Then again, who knows... The twins look like can give good fuel economy when not driven like a racecar

Old 04-22-2014, 07:49 PM   #162
sato

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
I dont think mazda cares about the twins. just like they didnt care about all the other competition. whether thats a good or bad thing boils downloads to opinion but i appreciate the fact that they have always built the car they want instead of responding to the market. thats how compromises happen and its why cars are heavy and have 400hp..
That is one of the traits I do like about Mazda... Follow their own road. And agree 100% on the 400hp compromise, which is the main reason I like the twins; they went the other direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways&Smiling View Post

Sexy...

Old 04-22-2014, 07:51 PM   #163
sato

Garage
Oh, and this thread just gives me more reasons to keep poking my head in the forums... Jeje

Old 04-22-2014, 07:58 PM   #164
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
If your goal is a faster car, since the Skyactiv 2L has a lot of torque for a light car, you could do a regrind on the intake cam to push the powerband up with a higher duration. Should be able to get at least 180hp like that, if it doesn't bother you that you lost power below 5k, and no emissions issues since it's an invisible mod.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:39 PM   #165
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I just got WRX less than a month, and now I think Miata is going to win my money next year... If and only if they get the look right.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:15 PM   #166
zigzagz94
BRZerhood Lurker #13

Drives: 15 DGM BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways&Smiling View Post

If they built a coupe like this from the factory for the USDM, I would've bought a Miata a long time ago.
Dimman (04-25-2014), sprintertrueno86 (04-23-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 11:52 PM   #167
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx5 2nr View Post
I'll probably ruffle a few feathers but I don't know that I'd call the Solstice/Sky "arguably better". Perhaps if it wasn't killed prematurely & had a generation or so to refine itself.

S2000, was much pricier than the Miata of it's time. The MR-S was about as close as anyone's gotten to "a Miata that's not a Miata" & I think it should still be in production.
Winner winner, chicken dinner.

S2k, Solstice, Sky, MR2/MR-S, Z3 etc etc.

Not like a Miata due to: Price or weight. The other thing is that none of them had longevity, they all were products of companies that pulled the plug when sales slumped.

Like mentioned above: Mazda kept the weight down, the power down and the price down and also stuck with it regardless of sales volume. I think the bigger question is not "will someone make a competitor to the Miata" but instead, "will a company besides Mazda ever make an affordable sports car and stick with it as a matter of principle?"

I'm hoping Tada-San and Toyota have become that company but just in case that isn't a reality, then I hope Mazda and Fiat make a new a Miata that really fires on all cylinders.

Which brings me to the Alfa (Fiat).. Is anyone else super excited for a roadster that has Mazda (Japanese) reliability and Italian styling? That seems like the greatest idea ever.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:30 AM   #168
fatoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
Winner winner, chicken dinner.

S2k, Solstice, Sky, MR2/MR-S, Z3 etc etc.

Not like a Miata due to: Price or weight. The other thing is that none of them had longevity, they all were products of companies that pulled the plug when sales slumped.

Like mentioned above: Mazda kept the weight down, the power down and the price down and also stuck with it regardless of sales volume. I think the bigger question is not "will someone make a competitor to the Miata" but instead, "will a company besides Mazda ever make an affordable sports car and stick with it as a matter of principle?"

I'm hoping Tada-San and Toyota have become that company but just in case that isn't a reality, then I hope Mazda and Fiat make a new a Miata that really fires on all cylinders.

Which brings me to the Alfa (Fiat).. Is anyone else super excited for a roadster that has Mazda (Japanese) reliability and Italian styling? That seems like the greatest idea ever.
it still blows my mind that you understand how singular the purpose mazda had with the miata but still dont think its a great car. the frs is already more expensive and heavier than the miata. what are you hoping for?
The Following User Says Thank You to fatoni For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (04-23-2014)