follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List
jpit

Old 04-13-2014, 10:22 AM   #4187
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I manged to get a good audio clip of the metalic rattle i have had ever since i installed my nameless front / over pipe way back when i had the stock header. It has changed a bit with the various setups, and there were always multiple sounds in the past. Now it is down to just this rattle / buzz but it is much worse that it has been in the past. The overpipe flange is lined up with the header flange dead center. I'm 99% sure the issue is the fitment of the over/front pipe as the couple weeks i ran the hks / motive combo in it's place this particular sound went away (that was with the fa20club header.

Anyway, here is a clip of pulling away from a light in 1st and second, the noise is loudest between 3500 and 4500 when under part throttle, but on a wot pull it continues throughout the rev range and sounds like shit if you are near anything for the sound to bounce off of.

I PM'd @Ryan@Nameless before the header came out with concerns about the front / over pipe fitment (because at the time i thought it was to do with the fa20 header and where the flange was located)... I guess now it's time I push them to replace my front pipe.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 1stand2nd.zip (248.1 KB, 178 views)
Old 04-13-2014, 11:23 AM   #4188
Decay107
Turning is for Nerds

Drives: 35 characters is not enough
Thanked 1,259 Times in 717 Posts
Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Here are a couple of flyby videos of the header with different exhaust set ups

First up we have the Nameless header, fp/op (catted and resonated), and HKS Hipower spec-l. The sound at around 1:06 is the reason I have removed the HKS from my car.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HWPxwkExps"]Nameless FR-S header, HKS mufflers - YouTube[/ame]

And here is the header, fp/op (catted and resonated), and a nameless track pipe (sorry about the vertical video )

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJkB19cxRyY"]Nameless FR-S full exhaust - YouTube[/ame]

Now I just need a way to get the sound of the track pipe in a quieter package.
Decay107 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Decay107 For This Useful Post:
Pistol (04-14-2014)
Old 04-13-2014, 01:25 PM   #4189
BatStig
Some say.....

Drives: 2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_sb View Post
I manged to get a good audio clip of the metalic rattle i have had ever since i installed my nameless front / over pipe way back when i had the stock header. It has changed a bit with the various setups, and there were always multiple sounds in the past. Now it is down to just this rattle / buzz but it is much worse that it has been in the past. The overpipe flange is lined up with the header flange dead center. I'm 99% sure the issue is the fitment of the over/front pipe as the couple weeks i ran the hks / motive combo in it's place this particular sound went away (that was with the fa20club header.

Anyway, here is a clip of pulling away from a light in 1st and second, the noise is loudest between 3500 and 4500 when under part throttle, but on a wot pull it continues throughout the rev range and sounds like shit if you are near anything for the sound to bounce off of.

I PM'd @Ryan@Nameless before the header came out with concerns about the front / over pipe fitment (because at the time i thought it was to do with the fa20 header and where the flange was located)... I guess now it's time I push them to replace my front pipe.
I get this kind of noise with my JDL EL catted header as well. I only get it when I put the hammer down. I don't get it during normal driving. Haven't had time to see if I can eliminate it.
BatStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:55 PM   #4190
Pistol

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
mettalliic sound

Quote:

thats the same sound I get, in the same RPM range

it would be good to get some feedback from nameless

Last edited by Pistol; 04-14-2014 at 12:10 AM.
Pistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:25 AM   #4191
Brahsbrah

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport Tech White Pearl
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrsDuke View Post
I would cancel that injen order if you can. Well established it's not a good mod.

Unless you ask beavis that is...

As with any mod there seems to be a lot of lovers and haters. I guess I'll see for myself!
Brahsbrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:38 AM   #4192
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahsbrah View Post
As with any mod there seems to be a lot of lovers and haters. I guess I'll see for myself!
You haven't done any research on that intake and seen the threads? I really hope you're getting a tune as soon as you put that intake on, or else enjoy your CEL. He's not the only hater, and I'm right there with him. I would stay away from that one unless you're tuning it right away.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:57 AM   #4193
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahsbrah View Post
Where's beavis these days?
Old 04-14-2014, 07:26 AM   #4194
vtmike

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

I have the metallic rattle at 3.5k to 4k rpm with the nameless catted down pipe (no over pipe combo) and tune. It goes away on the stock tune.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
vtmike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vtmike For This Useful Post:
Pistol (04-14-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 08:44 AM   #4195
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmike View Post
I have the metallic rattle at 3.5k to 4k rpm with the nameless catted down pipe (no over pipe combo) and tune. It goes away on the stock tune.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
I have tried various combos of parts over the past year all with the same tune and I can say the noise I have now that has gotten worse with the nameless,l also had with the fa20 club header. When I had the fa20 header, i swapped from the nameless front / over pipe to a motive / hks combo for a short time, This noise went away during that time.

I am confident the noise i have is from metal to metal contact. However, I will dial back the intake cam advance this week for testing.. as that can result in a different noise, that I am not experiencing with the nameless header.

Just playing devils advocate here.. could that be because of reduced torque output on the stock tune? I do know that there are some noises you get from the AVCS settings, in particular using full intake cam advance around the stock "dip" area. But there are also the noises that can come from metal to metal contact. Intake cam related noises have more of a midrange tone to them, to my ear anyway, while metal to metal has a much higer pitch.

Also, while mine is easiest to reproduce between 3.5 - 4.5k, when WOT it continues through redline, though partially drowned out by the volume.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:08 AM   #4196
BatStig
Some say.....

Drives: 2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
.....Intake cam related noises have more of a midrange tone to them, to my ear anyway, while metal to metal has a much higer pitch.....
This is exactly what I was thinking. A good example being the videos that Dezoris posted in his VVT Tuning Noise thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59475
BatStig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BatStig For This Useful Post:
mad_sb (04-14-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 10:09 AM   #4197
Brahsbrah

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport Tech White Pearl
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Matt View Post
You haven't done any research on that intake and seen the threads? I really hope you're getting a tune as soon as you put that intake on, or else enjoy your CEL. He's not the only hater, and I'm right there with him. I would stay away from that one unless you're tuning it right away.
The reviews seem mixed to me. However I will admit that I only read them after purchasing it.
Brahsbrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:32 AM   #4198
FrsDuke
Fanboy

Drives: 2013 ultramarine frs
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2d4 View Post
Where's beavis these days?
He makes accounts as fast as they ban them.

-Duke
FrsDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:13 PM   #4199
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrsDuke View Post
He makes accounts as fast as they ban them.
Guess it isn't hard to pick when you see someone loving ghetto hacks with a brz in nyc.
s2d4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:21 PM   #4200
FrsDuke
Fanboy

Drives: 2013 ultramarine frs
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
His "writing" style is pretty unique too. Anyway, any more impressions from folks? I'm loving my header. Need to do a few more mods before I switch from an of the shelf tune to dyno goodness. I'm considering the power blocks and the fp/op combo, but it'll be the better part of a year till it happens.
@mad_sb you got any dyno time yet?

-Duke
FrsDuke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
21 months no dyno, 22 months no vendor dyno, 22months4rattles&leakssmh, amazing warped qualiy, y u no tag