follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 01-12-2013, 03:56 PM   #57
Anthonytpt

Drives: '13 Argento 6MT FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshadeck View Post
Attachment 25006
Attachment 25007
Attachment 25008

I kept focusing on work and kept forgetting to take pics. Till i was done, every inch of white in the second pic has been covered. I also did the majority of the beam under the rear deck/ 3rd brake light and into the wheel wells. Im not done w the trunk lid but had to call it a night, and i can get to that with out taking anything apart so itll be an easy fix.

As for the effect, i have not driven it far since, so i may come back and add comments, but the cruising drone has minimized a fair amount, however WOT seems to be the same. It has "cleaned" up the noise coming in through the trunk, so it is less harsh to the ears, and has minimized the couple rattles i had when letting off the gas from 5k down to 2k, i now have 1 rattle somewhere left to find...

My 16sq ft i ordered weighed 14lbs, and i used a little over half. If anyone is curious as to sq ft or weight. I would suggest 10+ sq ft to be safe (just the deck lid, rear deck underside, entire spare tire floor area, and wheel wells. Basically everything behind the rear seats) for doors, under seats, roof, obviously you would need alot more.
For the amount of sound reduced, would you go through it again?
Old 01-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #58
jshadeck

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout 6MT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Yes. Basically 50$ and 2 hours of time (my first time ever taking anything out of the frs interior and first time ever doing sound matting)
Old 01-13-2013, 11:03 PM   #59
josby

Drives: 2008 Honda S2000 (yellow)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by schtebie View Post
Might want to also take a look at www.sounddeadenershowdown.com

A buddy of mine used the suggested methods on his project car (AE86) and it's made a dramatic difference.
Any pics or build log from your buddy? I'd love to see details on how he applied the info/techniques from Don's site.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:39 AM   #60
schtebie

Drives: CBS BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by josby View Post
Any pics or build log from your buddy? I'd love to see details on how he applied the info/techniques from Don's site.
Not readily available unfortunately. If I get a chance I can try to snap some pics. It's not pretty because they're much smaller patches than what you usually see in installs, but Don's methods do work. No sense in adding weight and cost without additional benefit, right? :happy0180:
Old 01-18-2013, 08:46 AM   #61
WolfSongX

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited SWP
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
I have the JPM Coachworks Alcantara speaker covers to install so I decided to order a CARE package from Second Skin Audio. I ordered a sheet of Overkill pro and a door pack of Damplifier, plus a single sheet of Luxury Liner and a Speaker Tweaker kit. I also have about 12 sq ft of Damplifier and a whole sheet of Overkill left over from doing my Si. Unfortunately the stuff from JPM arrived last night, but the Second Skin stuff isn't going to get here until Monday. I have a wedding to attend next weekend so I may not get anything done for a few weeks.

Since I'll have the doors apart to install the speaker covers, I'm going to start by sealing the doors and installing the Speaker Tweakers. What I'm hoping to do is to clean up the stock bass and be able to crank the volume a bit more without distortion/rattling.

My goal is to see how good I can make the stock system sound before doing any aftermarket upgrades, with the added caveat that I don't add a bunch of weight to the car as well. Since sound deadening can improve the sound by removing competing noise, then it's the first thing I'll tackle.

I eventually will be going with some aftermarket audio gear but my goals are to
  1. Only add a minimal amount of weight to the car.
  2. Keep a large amount of the usable space of the car free
  3. Keep the stock Head Unit and use a JBL MS-8 to improve/tune my sound.
  4. Better utilize the wasted space that is the back seat of this car.

A buddy and I are working on a unique subwoofer solution for the rear seat location, which we'll document a little more once we're further along in the project, but for now, I'll be happy to see how much improvement is available just with the stock setup.

2013 BRZ Limited SWP
Professional driver in search of closed course..
WolfSongX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:09 PM   #62
Slartibartfast
Klaatu barada nikto

Drives: Raven FR-S MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfSongX View Post
I have the JPM Coachworks Alcantara speaker covers to install so I decided to order a CARE package from Second Skin Audio. I ordered a sheet of Overkill pro and a door pack of Damplifier, plus a single sheet of Luxury Liner and a Speaker Tweaker kit. I also have about 12 sq ft of Damplifier and a whole sheet of Overkill left over from doing my Si. Unfortunately the stuff from JPM arrived last night, but the Second Skin stuff isn't going to get here until Monday. I have a wedding to attend next weekend so I may not get anything done for a few weeks.

Since I'll have the doors apart to install the speaker covers, I'm going to start by sealing the doors and installing the Speaker Tweakers. What I'm hoping to do is to clean up the stock bass and be able to crank the volume a bit more without distortion/rattling.

My goal is to see how good I can make the stock system sound before doing any aftermarket upgrades, with the added caveat that I don't add a bunch of weight to the car as well. Since sound deadening can improve the sound by removing competing noise, then it's the first thing I'll tackle.

I eventually will be going with some aftermarket audio gear but my goals are to
  1. Only add a minimal amount of weight to the car.
  2. Keep a large amount of the usable space of the car free
  3. Keep the stock Head Unit and use a JBL MS-8 to improve/tune my sound.
  4. Better utilize the wasted space that is the back seat of this car.
A buddy and I are working on a unique subwoofer solution for the rear seat location, which we'll document a little more once we're further along in the project, but for now, I'll be happy to see how much improvement is available just with the stock setup.
@WolfSongX
I'm doing JPM speaker covers as well. I also have the same goals. Minimum weight added, but with quality results.

So, I'm wondering how your install went. Pics? Recommendations? Results? DIY guide?

I'm thinking of doing just around the speakers, and strips in key vibration areas. I'm not sure where the best areas are though. Any input from the pros here on the best places to put a minimal amount of deadening is welcome.

Thanks.

Edit:
@WolfSongX I should've searched a little more. I just found your other thread.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28506

Thanks!

I vow to do no harm.
2013 Raven FR-S Manual "Lenore"
1985 Silver RX-7 GSL-SE (Gone and missed)

Last edited by Slartibartfast; 03-09-2013 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Found your other thread
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #63
tonystewart

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Recent additions

Rear seat base

Rear compartments with new Alpines

Raammat BX II , Ensolite one huge piece on interior trim, Second Skin Audio Speaker Tweaker Kit glued to Raammat directly behind the speaker

I don't hear much of a difference in sound quality, the rear seat area is quieter, can't hear the rear Michelin PSS tires anymore.
May'12 AT Raven, OFT V2, Perrin IntakeTube, Pulley & Overpipe,HKS Snorkel,FA20 EL Header,Nameless Frontpipe w/ Helmholtz, Crawford AOS, Cusco O2W Cooler, Grimmspeed Strut/MC Brace, Winjets w/D2S 3.0 HID by Illuminating Lighworkx, Fogs w/EU Stalk, LED's, JDM UnderPanels, Diffuser, Rigid Collars, Whiteline, HVT Camber Plates, Koni's, Swift Springs, GTSpec LCA, SPC Toearms, DBA 4K T-Slot Rotors, Ferodo DS2500, Vorshlag BrakeLines, MichelinPSS, 5Axis Wing, Raammat, Ensolite, JPM Coachworks, OEM+Ref400, 20mmspacers, TOMS
tonystewart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tonystewart For This Useful Post:
PatrickSAN (07-22-2013), SkAsphalt (07-22-2013)
Old 09-07-2013, 01:59 PM   #64
tonystewart

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Trunk Update

Still working on the trunk.
Ensolite from Back Seats to trunk lower opening

Right Rear

Left Rear
May'12 AT Raven, OFT V2, Perrin IntakeTube, Pulley & Overpipe,HKS Snorkel,FA20 EL Header,Nameless Frontpipe w/ Helmholtz, Crawford AOS, Cusco O2W Cooler, Grimmspeed Strut/MC Brace, Winjets w/D2S 3.0 HID by Illuminating Lighworkx, Fogs w/EU Stalk, LED's, JDM UnderPanels, Diffuser, Rigid Collars, Whiteline, HVT Camber Plates, Koni's, Swift Springs, GTSpec LCA, SPC Toearms, DBA 4K T-Slot Rotors, Ferodo DS2500, Vorshlag BrakeLines, MichelinPSS, 5Axis Wing, Raammat, Ensolite, JPM Coachworks, OEM+Ref400, 20mmspacers, TOMS
tonystewart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tonystewart For This Useful Post:
drewbot (08-13-2015)
Old 09-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #65
kALMIGHTY
Banned

Drives: TRD Ultramarine '13
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
For sound deadening? Just tape.
kALMIGHTY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kALMIGHTY For This Useful Post:
BabaYaga (09-01-2014), Black Tire (04-04-2014), drewbot (07-23-2015), tonystewart (09-07-2013)
Old 09-08-2013, 02:37 AM   #66
ft_sjo
Banned

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
I intend to use Tecsound SY50 as the primary noise barrier. It's thin but rated at 5kg/sq.m.

May put some of their FT55AL on top in some areas or possibly 3M thinsulate.

I don't really want any cld in the car.
ft_sjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:10 AM   #67
scionfrs2014

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshadeck View Post
Attachment 25006
Attachment 25007
Attachment 25008

I kept focusing on work and kept forgetting to take pics. Till i was done, every inch of white in the second pic has been covered. I also did the majority of the beam under the rear deck/ 3rd brake light and into the wheel wells. Im not done w the trunk lid but had to call it a night, and i can get to that with out taking anything apart so itll be an easy fix.

As for the effect, i have not driven it far since, so i may come back and add comments, but the cruising drone has minimized a fair amount, however WOT seems to be the same. It has "cleaned" up the noise coming in through the trunk, so it is less harsh to the ears, and has minimized the couple rattles i had when letting off the gas from 5k down to 2k, i now have 1 rattle somewhere left to find...

My 16sq ft i ordered weighed 14lbs, and i used a little over half. If anyone is curious as to sq ft or weight. I would suggest 10+ sq ft to be safe (just the deck lid, rear deck underside, entire spare tire floor area, and wheel wells. Basically everything behind the rear seats) for doors, under seats, roof, obviously you would need alot more.

I am considering doing sound deadening on my trunk too. Can you kindly give everyone an update? Does it improve much on the noise? Do you do it on the door too? Many thanks,
scionfrs2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:03 PM   #68
Shankenstein
Frosty Carrot

Drives: The Atomic Carrot
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
I used Stinger Expert Roadkill. It looks like we'll need 30 sq ft for the doors, quarter panels, and trunk area. If you want to line the floor, that's probably 20 more. Headliner is probably 15 more.

The doors received a full coating on the outer skin and based on the "tap and slap" method I did the inner skin with patches.

I'm not done yet (actually worked on it during the lunch break today). Eventually, I'll add closed cell foam to replace the plastic vapor barrier.

Doors:

Trunk

Shankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:35 PM   #69
Moletheus

Drives: Raven 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
GT-Mat works very well and is cheaper than the others. I just picked up a second roll of 80mil.
Moletheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:47 PM   #70
Cato

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I wouldn't put much effort into sound deadening materials until you have removed the sound generator. Most of the sound in the cabin is from that sound generator, not the wheels, engine or exhaust. I verified that with a sound meter and have it in a separate post in the "BRZ General" section as

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61234
Cato is offline   Reply With Quote