follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 04-02-2014, 05:53 PM   #71
GhostShield
Banned

Drives: 2013 silver FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
Take off all parts before you go in, there is no way in hell they will warranty your trans with those on. Grinding crunching on this trans is not normal.
It's a frickin honor to have you posting on my thread. I've read everything you've ever written and watched all your YouTube vids.
Frickin DI issue had me nervous about the FRS. I've had zero major issues besides the trans. But I bought her any way cuz I'm just in love with the twins
I'm friends with the service manager at my Toyota dealer. He said my bushing won't be an issue. He was actually interested in how they made it feel better.

I'm just gunna have them document my concerns, soon. Works been slammed. Wrapping a lot of cars. Will probably take her in next week.

Since last week when I got the whiteline and Perrin shift bushings in the trans feels over 50% better. 1st and 2nd are still a little bitch to engage sometimes when she's cold but after 15 min of driving the box is pretty warmed up and smooth. Also changed out the fluid again (2nd time) with motul 300 again. Had a rattle and it turned out to be one of the 14mm nuts and washers on the trans cross member I forgot to torque. Ooops haha rechecked and torqued everything again and it's rattle free! Love the gear whine because racecar!

I totally agree with you guys, the trans is more stubborn at lower RPMs. When I'm just cruisin around town. Mashing at higher RPMs in the canyons, blipping throttle and going to 2nd is no issue. It's weird.

I've had no grinds, and let's be clear, a grind is a frickin grind haha should sound like you trying to push into a gear with no clutch. I've never gotten that. I just had the marble trans that's argumentative at times. Recently she's been pretty good tho!
GhostShield is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GhostShield For This Useful Post:
Sirsimon (04-02-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 05:55 PM   #72
GhostShield
Banned

Quote:
Take off all parts before you go in, there is no way in hell they will warranty your trans with those on. Grinding crunching on this trans is not normal.
Question for ya.
I know your cars pretty modded. You just do everything yourself right?
No warranty work by the dealer?

I love my FRS and just wanna mod the shit out of it.
I live 10 minutes from vortechs head quaters in Oxnard CA. I'll be buying a kit real soon from them.

Any advice or recommendations from a master like yourself?
Old 04-02-2014, 05:57 PM   #73
GhostShield
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Subaru told me to pound sound. I was never really certain if what I had was what other people had, so I appreciate that.
Yeah it's not you bud. Lots of people have the same issues.
Try a fluid swap. Some people on here have raved about pentosin. I'd try that or motul.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:57 PM   #74
GhostShield
Banned

Mtec springs and a kartboy are coming soon!
Old 04-02-2014, 07:12 PM   #75
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostShield View Post
It's a frickin honor to have you posting on my thread. I've read everything you've ever written and watched all your YouTube vids.
Frickin DI issue had me nervous about the FRS. I've had zero major issues besides the trans. But I bought her any way cuz I'm just in love with the twins
I'm friends with the service manager at my Toyota dealer. He said my bushing won't be an issue. He was actually interested in how they made it feel better.
Thanks dude, there are plenty of early adopters to learn from hope some of it helps.

I only brought the car to the dealer twice, once for ECU update and tail lamps leaking. But I made sure there were over 10k miles on before I touched the car in any way. And my dealership said if I had any major issues they were not going to help with warranty coverage, and I was on my own. Apparently their district rep and tech line are very picky about documenting (pictures etc.) for any major warranty work on the FRS.

So, where I am going with this is, if you got the car with a trans that is anything less than smooth with normal trans fluid. You should address it while the car is stock before you have a serious failure. Because whether or not you have friends inside the dealer, Toyota still has to authorize warranty work and they will likely ask for photos etc and then you are screwed.

Get a smooth working trans first in stock form them modify because likely it will get worse.

I have the perrin and whiteline bushings sitting in a drawer because, the trans works so smoothly right now I don't want to f*ck it up.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:23 PM   #76
GhostShield
Banned

Quote:
Thanks dude, there are plenty of early adopters to learn from hope some of it helps.

I only brought the car to the dealer twice, once for ECU update and tail lamps leaking. But I made sure there were over 10k miles on before I touched the car in any way. And my dealership said if I had any major issues they were not going to help with warranty coverage, and I was on my own. Apparently their district rep and tech line are very picky about documenting (pictures etc.) for any major warranty work on the FRS.

So, where I am going with this is, if you got the car with a trans that is anything less than smooth with normal trans fluid. You should address it while the car is stock before you have a serious failure. Because whether or not you have friends inside the dealer, Toyota still has to authorize warranty work and they will likely ask for photos etc and then you are screwed.

Get a smooth working trans first in stock form them modify because likely it will get worse.

I have the perrin and whiteline bushings sitting in a drawer because, the trans works so smoothly right now I don't want to f*ck it up.
No worries brotha! Your vid on the DI and vortech cracked me up, little cussing, ass scratchin and ball bustin! Love it.

So your trans is pretty buttery smooth? Cold, hot, low rpm shifts, high rpm shifts, all gears nice and smooth?

I will def take you advice and not do further mods that they will frown upon.

You think I'm cool with a full exhaust? I know header backs they don't care to much about. But I'm planning on a header. This will be ordered in the next few weeks after I pay uncle Sams taxes (1099) so I right checks :/
Old 04-02-2014, 09:45 PM   #77
SVThis

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've been driving manual transmission cars since 1969. I've since sold my FRS. I thought the gearbox sucked on this car. When the tranny was cold I had to let the car warm up for several minutes before I could get the thing to go into the reverse slot. There were times when I thought I wasn't going to be able to back the car out of the garage. With all the other issues abundant in the car I'm glad it's gone.
SVThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:19 PM   #78
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
No worries brotha! Your vid on the DI and vortech cracked me up, little cussing, ass scratchin and ball bustin! Love it.

So your trans is pretty buttery smooth? Cold, hot, low rpm shifts, high rpm shifts, all gears nice and smooth?

I will def take you advice and not do further mods that they will frown upon.

You think I'm cool with a full exhaust? I know header backs they don't care to much about. But I'm planning on a header. This will be ordered in the next few weeks after I pay uncle Sams taxes (1099) so I right checks :/
I don't think exhaust will be a huge issue as long as you are running cats.
If you roll in with some 100db pipes its gonna be an immediate redflag.

The trans on stock fluid was always very smooth until cold weather, below 40F 1st and 2nd were notchy for about 5 minutes. Switched to Pentosin and cold performance is now smooth down to 20F. I have had zero issues with any gears, no notchiness, hestiations, grinding, resistance.

I have driven two other, FRS/BRZ and they also were always smooth.
If you use some hard core track purpose heavier weight oil the trans will not be smooth until you get plenty of heat it in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVThis View Post
I've been driving manual transmission cars since 1969. I've since sold my FRS. I thought the gearbox sucked on this car. When the tranny was cold I had to let the car warm up for several minutes before I could get the thing to go into the reverse slot. There were times when I thought I wasn't going to be able to back the car out of the garage. With all the other issues abundant in the car I'm glad it's gone.
I think this car has issues like many of the early S2000 gearboxes that were inconsistent. You drive a few smooth ones and get in others and it was resistance city, sometimes grinds too.

I think this trans or at least the one in my car is by far one of the best I have been in. Much better than the S2000s I have owned or any trans for that fact.

But once you drive a few that are smooth the way they are supposed to be, you realize that like in GhostSheilds case, if you have constant issues on stock fluid (with no mods) in all temp ranges the trans has a problem.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:31 AM   #79
GhostShield
Banned

Driving home tonight. 2nd gear was being a little bitch ((
Gonna take her in as soon as I can to get it documented.
Dezoris It def sounds like you have a good tranny! Way better then mine or the other members that have posted in this thread.
My battle with Toyota will begin soon.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:43 AM   #80
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Mtec springs and a kartboy are coming soon!
Keep debating my Kartboy since the trans has these weird issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVThis View Post
Not uncommon to need to roll forward a bit then get it in Reverse - traditionally a problem for unsynchronized reverse gears. I forget if ours is unsynchronized, but toodles! Don't let the door hit you on the way out, bud.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:10 PM   #81
GhostShield
Banned

Yeah I'm going to buy the kartboy mtec combo from speed factory then just hang on to it till I sort my tranny.
The Following User Says Thank You to GhostShield For This Useful Post:
SirBrass (04-07-2014)
Old 04-04-2014, 09:44 PM   #82
SVThis

Drives: Scion FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Keep debating my Kartboy since the trans has these weird issues.

Not uncommon to need to roll forward a bit then get it in Reverse - traditionally a problem for unsynchronized reverse gears. I forget if ours is unsynchronized, but toodles! Don't let the door hit you on the way out, bud.
Did that. Didn't always work. The door didn't hit me. If yours does I hope it doesn't fall off. Toodles bud
SVThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:38 AM   #83
Asphalt TG
Captain Stabbin

Drives: 2013 FRS Asphault
@GhostShield I think your spot on bro, in the cold and at start my tranny is a crunchfest sometimes have to double clutch just to get in gear, once it warms up much improved.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:21 PM   #84
unvevo

Drives: 3-240sx, supra, brz, 2500hd dmax
My tranny also grinds when it's cold. Out of instinct from driving a truck I started double clutching. It helps the grind out a ton. Not sure if anybody else had found this to help them. I only do it when it's cold.
unvevo is offline   Reply With Quote