follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 03-03-2014, 10:11 AM   #1
zinzan

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2014 Limited WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
New tint installation care

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I did a search and didn't find my exact questions answered.

I've never had a car tinted before, but had my windows done last Friday (FormulaOne Pinnacle 35). Looks good.

I do notice a few pinhead size holes in the back, but can give it a few more days to fully cure and see if they are still there or not.

I also see (just in specific angles with specific lighting) some smudging. I'm not really sure whether or not these are between the film and the window, or on the outside of the film (hopefully). I did wash my car this weekend, and cleaned the outside of the windows with glass cleaner, and the smudges are not on the outside. But I am hesitant to even wipe the inside yet.

So, should I go ahead and wipe and see if the smudges come off, or should I wait a few more days before touching the film at all? The installer hadn't told me how long to wait, but told me to use anything that doesn't contain ammonia. Any recommendations on a cleaning fluid? Is Invisible Glass okay? A microfiber cloth okay, I assume?

Thanks,

-Z
zinzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:22 AM   #2
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
On my last car I made sure to get tint in the summer. I parked it in the sun for a week. After that I always cleaned the windows with a water and vinegar solution or tint safe cleaner. Tint is still good 5 years later, even though it was crappy tint from a $99 special.
ZionsWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZionsWrath For This Useful Post:
zinzan (03-03-2014)
Old 03-03-2014, 12:06 PM   #3
zinzan

Garage
Hmmm, never really considered waiting until the summer, but maybe that would have been a good idea. The weather here in Atlanta was actually pretty warm and sunny during the day from Friday through Sunday (though cold and gray today).

So you're saying you intentionally waited a week for curing before any cleaning?

The installer called me back, and he said I could go ahead and wipe the tint now, and it should be okay. He also said a few pinhead size white spots are unavoidable, though some will disappear?

-Z
Old 03-03-2014, 01:51 PM   #4
FunCon5

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My tint shop suggested using a clean white-T and rubbing alcohol. They also said to not use products that contain ammonia. (Windex)
FunCon5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:16 PM   #5
Danklvr

Drives: 2014 FR-S 6MT Argento
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Danklvr
pin head sized dots are 100% avoidable... its called making sure the surface is free from dust particles before adhering the tint. You will eventually have those pin head sized dots turn into air bubbles. if your lucky they will stay tiny dots. I would have the installer re-do any section of the tint that has dust particles trapped underneath, especially if you have a warrenty on the tint as most shops will give a lifetime warrenty on materials and LABOR!

just sayin...

How ya gonna keep 'em down on the farm once they've seen Karl Hungus?
Danklvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:34 PM   #6
White64Goat

Drives: 13 BRZ CBS LTD MT, 02 WRX
Thanked 1,111 Times in 627 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I believe that Stoners Invisible Glass is ammonia free. I find regular microfiber towels leave behind holograms/smudges. These work great www.streakfree.biz and you can sometimes find them being sold at bigger car shows being sold at demo booths. They are microfiber but are a much, much tighter weave, almost the consistency of a linen bedsheet. And you use only water with them.............(you can use a cleaner if you choose to)
White64Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:14 PM   #7
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
There is no "care" other than waiting 3-5 days for your tint to cure. Do not roll down windows or use rear defroster.

Other than that, just after 3-5 days, wipe your windows down.

If you have any bubbles, you'll need to have it redone.

Snow, Rain, Sunny shouldn't matter too much. I had tint done while it was cold and rainy once and it turned out fine.
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N1rve For This Useful Post:
zinzan (03-03-2014)
Old 03-04-2014, 02:13 PM   #8
zinzan

Garage
I did further searches about pinhead size dots/bubbles on tint jobs, and I seem to find some that say these are expected, and not a big deal if there are only a few, and others that say it's unacceptable. I found the same mixed opinions on tintdude.com.

Honestly, I'm not sure how big a deal I think they are. The tint looks great, and the pinhead dots are only visible if I'm really, really looking for them. I haven't looked for them in the past day, so...

But, yes, I did get a Lifetime Warranty from an authorized FormulaOne dealer, so I guess I'm not really in an urgent hurry to get it resolved--if the dots spread or get bigger, or I find I'm not happy with them, I can take it back to this installer or another one.

At least some of the smudges, maybe all of them, turned out to be on the outside. I think these were caused by my RainX application on the back window when the temperature was cold. I tried to wipe them off with glass cleaner, but the smears remained. I found a tip that the best way to remove RainX smears were by another even application of RainX (when glass is not too cold), and that seemed to do the trick. I still haven't wiped the inside of the windows on the tint surface--I'll give them a gentle wipe down tomorrow.

@White64Goat, those streak free wipes look appealing. Great. More car stuff I can't resist.

-Z

Last edited by zinzan; 03-04-2014 at 02:13 PM. Reason: formatting change