follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-17-2014, 03:08 PM   #1
dssence

Drives: Toyota FT/MT 86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Why does cold air on my TOYOTA 86 come off as hot ? Without AC on.

Hi guys I'm new to the forum and a couple strange things have been happening with my new toyota 86 FT . I live in argentina, and bought the car a couple weeks ago. Strange and odd things started happening from High fuel consumption , when I talk about high fuel consumption I mean average of 18Litres for 100km which is totally unacceptable.
Then something which called my attention was, that as soon as someone got inside the car, the windshield and all the windows started to slowly get damp and steamy. I don't know why. If water came inside the car by some reason. I checked and the rubber grummets from the rearside of the car which the dealer had to put in place at the pre inspection weren't settled in place. So this week I'm going for those 2 rubber grummets to be placed in the rear end of the car. Maybe some water vapor came inside. But don't think so.
I just want to know if any of you are going through this . FInally whenever I shift the knob on the HVAC system without air conditioning on instead of COLD air getting inside the cabin I feel the air getting inside is totally warm like if I was using the knob for heating. Like the only way for cold air to get inside is turning on AC totally odd.
Is this a factory issue ? what should I do
dssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:17 PM   #2
Adam Anthony

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Base Firestorm
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The issue with your vents/A/C not being on is normal. I have that same issue in my FR-S (Chicago). I am not sure if there is a fix for it, but it's most likely the engine heating up the air prior to it being funneled into the cabin.

As for high fuel consumption, as the engine breaks in, that should get better. However, to get the best gas mileage, you are going to have to keep your RPMs under 3K or at the very least under 4K. I am averaging 23.7 MPGS since September, 2013. I sit in traffic, etc. an awful lot and otherwise am not trying to hyper-mile or try to get the best mileage.
Adam Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Adam Anthony For This Useful Post:
dssence (02-17-2014)
Old 02-17-2014, 03:21 PM   #3
dssence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Anthony View Post
The issue with your vents/A/C not being on is normal. I have that same issue in my FR-S (Chicago). I am not sure if there is a fix for it, but it's most likely the engine heating up the air prior to it being funneled into the cabin.
Hi So many thanks !!!. So what's happening in your case. you're having warm air blowed in , instead of cold air. I don't think this is normal. Like the only way for cold air to get inside the cabin is using AC, this is crazy.
Then about the windows getting steamy as soon as someone gets in or you start breathing, does this happen to you as well ?. Thanks adam
Old 02-17-2014, 03:26 PM   #4
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'm not an expert in HVAC so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

If you don't have the AC then the system isn't cooling the air. It's just pushing air into the car, so you're pulling in warm air. This is how it is with every car. You can make it warmer, but only as cold as it can pull in.

Your windows getting steamy are another side effect of not using the AC. The AC actually dries the air out. What you're seeing is the moisture in the air settling on your windows because of the difference in temperature outside versus inside. Kinda like how a glass will sweat if you leave ice water in it, I suppose. The same thing can happen when it's cold outside and you have the AC off, blowing hot air.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to n2oinferno For This Useful Post:
dssence (02-17-2014)
Old 02-17-2014, 03:37 PM   #5
dssence

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2oinferno View Post
I'm not an expert in HVAC so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

If you don't have the AC then the system isn't cooling the air. It's just pushing air into the car, so you're pulling in warm air. This is how it is with every car. You can make it warmer, but only as cold as it can pull in.

Your windows getting steamy are another side effect of not using the AC. The AC actually dries the air out. What you're seeing is the moisture in the air settling on your windows because of the difference in temperature outside versus inside. Kinda like how a glass will sweat if you leave ice water in it, I suppose. The same thing can happen when it's cold outside and you have the AC off, blowing hot air.

I know what you're saying but take this into account, my previous car which a super ancient toyota celica liftback GT 1979 , when I set the air to cold air to be blown , it does blow cold air, it's not getting in as hot air.
This is what drove me mad. Cause even if I push the button to recirculate air shifting the knob to blue air is getting in warm not even cold. I want to know if this is happening to me only or anyone with the FRS / TOO 86.
Now on the other hand about the windows starting to get steamy , what really worries me is if water has gotten inside the car by some reason.
If you have read my initial statement , the rubber grummets from the rear of the car weren't placed by my deale those rubber grummets are removed for carrying the car and afterwards they need to be placed for odors not to get inside the cabin. Im worried water might have settled in already and the steam i'm starting to see slowly is a product of that.
Any ideas? I don't know if came across the thread of a guy saying the rear suspension strust don't have the rubber plugs placed and some water came up from there, producing condensation. So I'm getting really worried.
Thanks anways.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:43 PM   #6
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 32,202 Times in 16,572 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Anthony View Post

Yep, I agree with Adam Anthony, the "vent air" is ducted through a series of channels that are (unfortunatly) heated by the engines heat.

So, @dssence, you can either open the window, turn on the A/C or ..... punch the recirc button, to shut off the vent (which helps somewhat).

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
dssence (02-17-2014)
Old 02-17-2014, 03:45 PM   #7
vroom4

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Yea seems like all new cars you have to push that recirc button.

At least the brz it stays pushed when you shut the engine on/off. My speed3 I had to push it every sngle time I started the car.
vroom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vroom4 For This Useful Post:
dssence (02-17-2014)
Old 02-17-2014, 03:53 PM   #8
dssence

So all of you guys either BRZ owners or scion go through this whenever you shift the knob for cold air to get in the vents, if you don't push the recircle button air comes in heated instead of cold ? . only solution is to turn on AC?
Old 02-17-2014, 03:58 PM   #9
nalc

Drives: 13 BRZ Limited 6MT GBS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
The A/C is unfortunately normal.

What's happening is that when recirc is off, it draws fresh air from under the hood on the passenger side. Depending on what's going on, it may be getting hot air. When your engine is cold it's fine, and there's certain speeds where there is sufficient airflow, but normally the hot air from the engine bay is just going into the intake. Some members have had some amount of success by putting additional weatherstrip seals in front of the HVAC intake to isolate it from the engine bay.

There's also a claim going around that the HVAC 'remembers' the temperature it was on when you turn it off, so if you have the heat on, no recirc, and turn it off, it will continue to allow hot air in. But I haven't verified that.

Fogging up is pretty normal when you're blowing in some warm air.
nalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:07 PM   #10
tmcmullins

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dssence View Post
I know what you're saying but take this into account, my previous car which a super ancient toyota celica liftback GT 1979 , when I set the air to cold air to be blown , it does blow cold air, it's not getting in as hot air.
That could be contributed to the R12 freon used then vs the R134A used now.
tmcmullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:20 PM   #11
DM7

Drives: '13 FR-S Argento
Quote:
So all of you guys either BRZ owners or scion go through this whenever you shift the knob for cold air to get in the vents, if you don't push the recircle button air comes in heated instead of cold ? . only solution is to turn on AC?
Yes, the only solution to keep the inside from fogging up is to have the AC on.

I know for the FR-S if the AC is off the air coming out of the vents is not cooled or dried even if the temperature knob is set to cold/blue (cold/blue just means not heated). This reduces load on the engine and helps fuel economy.

Some cars run the AC compressor on a low setting all the time, meaning the air is cooled and dried a very small amount even with AC in the off mode. Turning on the AC in these cars runs the AC compressor on full.

In the FR-S, AC off mean the compressor is not running at all. AC on means the compressor is running at full capacity.
DM7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DM7 For This Useful Post:
dssence (02-17-2014)
Old 02-17-2014, 04:34 PM   #12
dssence

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcmullins View Post
That could be contributed to the R12 freon used then vs the R134A used now.
I did talk about only the fan blowing cold air not AC on.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:39 PM   #13
dssence

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM7 View Post
Yes, the only solution to keep the inside from fogging up is to have the AC on.

I know for the FR-S if the AC is off the air coming out of the vents is not cooled or dried even if the temperature knob is set to cold/blue (cold/blue just means not heated). This reduces load on the engine and helps fuel economy.

Some cars run the AC compressor on a low setting all the time, meaning the air is cooled and dried a very small amount even with AC in the off mode. Turning on the AC in these cars runs the AC compressor on full.

In the FR-S, AC off mean the compressor is not running at all. AC on means the compressor is running at full capacity.
Yes that's why I said it's totally crazy , that my previous super ancient car toyota celica Liftback GT 1979 model , could blow cold AIR fine meaning the air coming into the cabin either recycled or from the outside is cold, by cold I mean no AC on at all. And in this new car if I shift the knob to cold blue the air keeps being hot, and besides that the windshields keep getting foggy easily by no apparent reason ( i'm at least ttrying to discard the rubber grummets not placed, being the culprit, or some water got inside the car)
This should be named as a design flaw. I don't think cars like ferraris or veryron if you let the air to be blown as cold gets in as hot from the engine bay?. Or is it like that
Talking about the AC my model has the normal HVAC system no automatic climate control . Does this mean the compressor runs on all the time ? and on the automatic climate control version of the tOYOTA 86 the compressor turns on and off to save fuel economy I never understood that.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:40 PM   #14
sdemo

Drives: '13 SWP ZC6 R
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I did talk about only the fan blowing cold air not AC on.
Was it winter?

This is about the dumbest thread on the internet. If the vent is on and A/C is off, your "cold" will only be as cold as ambient temp. As you move towards hot, it will pass increasing amounts of air past the heater core.

This is how every car has been made since the beginning of time.
sdemo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sdemo For This Useful Post:
Ammonia (02-17-2014), dssence (02-17-2014)