follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-08-2014, 09:14 PM   #15
husker741
Banned

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FR-S 6MT
Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,415 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I would've been on the phone with Scion of America during the test drive.
husker741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:17 PM   #16
quasi86

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S m/t Raven
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ Shifter View Post
Better yet, call corporate.
I understand the sentiment but Toyota "corporate" really could do much about that. They don't have any power over what a dealership does internally. So in a case like this you would just kinda be a douchebag.

Call somebody who will care and actually has the ability to make a change happen. Like the sales manager or general manager. And this wasn't a poor dealership expierience it was a just a poor salesman expierience.

Im sure you were "lowballed" on your trade but most people fail to see the flaws in their cars and are not honest with themselves on the true value. Hell how much below sticker did you offer on the FR-S?

thank you for reading. sent using Tapatalk! (wouldn't want to forget that)
Old 02-08-2014, 09:19 PM   #17
husker741
Banned

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FR-S 6MT
Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,415 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi86 View Post
I understand the sentiment but Toyota "corporate" really could do much about that. They don't have any power over what a dealership does internally. So in a case like this you would just kinda be a douchebag.
Bullshit. They care. Trust me. And yes, one salesman is representing the ENTIRE dealership. That is like saying Peyton Manning doesn't represent the Broncos because he's just an employee. He works there, he gets paid there. He represents them.
husker741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:20 PM   #18
Gaiseric

Drives: 2012 Scion TC
Quote:
Originally Posted by brzr View Post
i thought my test was "bad" when the salesman insisted on going with me for a drive, with my husband sitting in the back seat behind me

passenger touching the wheel or changing the gears is so illegal

i hope you can find your car elsewhere
Unfortunately most dealerships wont allow a test drive without an employee present just to cover their own butts in case you damage something. To test drive without an employee or to take the car home for the night you would have to sign paperwork that states you take all liability of the car for the time being and provide any other information they need, most likely valid license and full coverage insurance.

It prevents things like 50 mile test drives, getting food with the cars, stealing any cars, hit and runs, and more things of that nature lol.
Gaiseric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:31 PM   #19
brzr

Drives: 2013 frs
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaiseric View Post
Unfortunately most dealerships wont allow a test drive without an employee present just to cover their own butts in case you damage something. To test drive without an employee or to take the car home for the night you would have to sign paperwork that states you take all liability of the car for the time being and provide any other information they need, most likely valid license and full coverage insurance.

It prevents things like 50 mile test drives, getting food with the cars, stealing any cars, hit and runs, and more things of that nature lol.
not sure if there's any difference between canada and the states test driving policies....but i tested quite a few different cars, and i think the only one that went on a test drive was the weird toyota salesman........he wasn't there 5 months later when i went in to trade in my car for the frs, and the second time husband and i took the frs out for a test, we went alone.....wonder if he was there if he would have come along

i think salesmen that don't go along for a ride do it to show how much they trust you in hopes of getting a sale
brzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:33 PM   #20
Pickleahoy

Drives: 10 Series #1617
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi86 View Post
Im sure you were "lowballed" on your trade but most people fail to see the flaws in their cars and are not honest with themselves on the true value. Hell how much below sticker did you offer on the FR-S?
My immaculate 2013 GTI (no dings/wear/scratches) was worth 15,800 according to them. It has 16,000 miles and the MSRP last year with my options was 29,900. Cars with less options are sold for 24,000 used. I understand they have to make money on a trade in but I wasnt gonna get raped for 8 grand. I didnt ask them to discount their car any more than they had already priced online
Pickleahoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:42 PM   #21
mush

Drives: 2013 FRS 10 Series #81 of 2500
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
when i asked for a test drive the salesman asked for a copy of my drivers license, handed me the keys and i was on my way
mush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:44 PM   #22
z3ro
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
My dealer offered me 10k for my 08 silverado single cab, 4.8 w/ 79k miles, 1 accident with VERY poorly recorded damages. kbb'd at 13 with no damages. I took it and ran! i only payed 14 for it and had it for 3 years
z3ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:44 PM   #23
prometheus

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 series
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brzr View Post
not sure if there's any difference between canada and the states test driving policies....but i tested quite a few different cars, and i think the only one that went on a test drive was the weird toyota salesman........he wasn't there 5 months later when i went in to trade in my car for the frs, and the second time husband and i took the frs out for a test, we went alone.....wonder if he was there if he would have come along

i think salesmen that don't go along for a ride do it to show how much they trust you in hopes of getting a sale
I worked at a GM dealership during college and there was never a instance where a customer test drove by themselves without the dealer in car. and personally I have never been on a test drive without a dealer present, for the exact reasons listed by Gaiseric. seems like a good sales tactic though.

Edit, and to the OP, my test drive was done in the "demo" FRS that they had on the lot, the salesman did the same thing, drove really hard, and told me this is how the car is supposed to be driven, I drove not quite as hard as him but it was ok cause I know it was not the car I was going to buy.
prometheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:47 PM   #24
jdcorbitt3

Drives: 2013 red FR-S, OFT. 2000 Miata SE
Come over to Ocala and see Mike Parker at Deluca Toyota. They gave me all the money for my trade in (2003 Boxster)
You have to spend some time negotiating to get your best deal.

John
jdcorbitt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:50 PM   #25
EZ Shifter

Drives: Millennium Falcon
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker741 View Post
Bullshit. They care. Trust me. And yes, one salesman is representing the ENTIRE dealership. That is like saying Peyton Manning doesn't represent the Broncos because he's just an employee. He works there, he gets paid there. He represents them.
Right on. Corporate does care. I had 2 Toyota dealerships bickering over the wrong size rims installed on my Toyota minivan after an accident in 1988. The dealer 60 miles up north which replaced the broken rims with the wrong size (the front tires rubbed the body so the van wasn't drivable) was arguing with my local dealership over cost and who knows what.

The service managers knew each other and didn't get along I later found out.

One call to corporate Toyota solved the whole matter. Pronto...after a week of me in a rental car after the wheels were put on! They ended up reimbursing me for the rental too.

Thanks corporate!
EZ Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:02 PM   #26
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 993Fan View Post
Fortunately, not all salesmen are like that. About 3% of them are car guys...
This is sad but true. The sales guy I had has been a car guy his whole life, he showed me pics of his previous projects and could talk the talk. He was one of the good guys and I found myself just hanging out BS'ing with him while I was at the dealership a few times.

Edit-
Oh yeah, and definitely report this asshat. That car will belong to someone someday, and that person might not give a fuck, but that person might also be a true car enthusiast who deserves better. If I found out MY car had been driven in such a manner before I bought it, I'd be FURIOUS.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:10 PM   #27
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,999 Times in 16,486 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Yep, I'd stay away from that dealership ...... and the dealership where the salesman worked previously ...... and make sure he isn't on the payroll of the next dealership you go to ....
humfrz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:11 PM   #28
z3ro
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Yep, I'd stay away from that dealership ...... and the dealership where the salesman worked previously ...... and make sure he isn't on the payroll of the next dealership you go to ....
you forgot something...

humfrz
z3ro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to z3ro For This Useful Post:
husker741 (02-08-2014)