follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 01-10-2014, 04:17 PM   #15
laguayo

Drives: BRZ Limited DGM Automatic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
This will be difficult because even the twins share many things, they don't share the same HU probably why SWCs were never part of the initial design.

Subaru uses an HU from something like an outback straight OEM and I think FR-S uses HU from the tC line. Bespoke audio pioneer system, I do not know the harness differences.

Probably best bet is to pull existing harness from the the @nalc thread and customize something on your own. Atleast for the BRZ.
laguayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:38 PM   #16
mid_life_crisis

Drives: FR-S 10 #103 AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by modena View Post
I don't mind purchasing said adapter, installing it, ext.
However I do not have the skills nor a way to test or figure out the 28 pin connecter by the radio.
If you would like to try, I can buy one and ship it to you
If it works, good, if not, 100$ loss...
Let me know if you would like to try this out...
Before you go that far, just scan the instructions and I'll give you an e-mail address to send them to me.
I'm not the first to work on the SWC connections on the H/U. We've got it pretty well sorted out.
Which H/U do you have? The base unit from the BRZ has the same SWC wiring as the Base 14 FR-S and the Anniversary edition base unit.
NALC has a Limited edition, which is the same SWC setup as my FR-S. I should be able to tell from the instructions.
mid_life_crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:49 PM   #17
mid_life_crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by laguayo View Post
This will be difficult because even the twins share many things, they don't share the same HU probably why SWCs were never part of the initial design.

Subaru uses an HU from something like an outback straight OEM and I think FR-S uses HU from the tC line. Bespoke audio pioneer system, I do not know the harness differences.

Probably best bet is to pull existing harness from the the @nalc thread and customize something on your own. Atleast for the BRZ.
This would seem logical, but the Limited BRZ and the 14 FR-S actually have the same SWC pinout and use the same resistor values.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:50 PM   #18
laguayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mid_life_crisis View Post
This would seem logical, but the Limited BRZ and the 14 FR-S actually have the same SWC pinout and use the same resistor values.
Interesting is there something on the Toyota side that uses the same HU and harness?
Old 01-10-2014, 04:56 PM   #19
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
The limited BRZ and premium BRZ will have the same pin-outs as it's the same head unit.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:00 PM   #20
mid_life_crisis

Quote:
Interesting is there something on the Toyota side that uses the same HU and harness?
All the other 2014 Scions have the same H/U and have SWCs installed. Not sure what good that does though. We know what to connect to and it turns out to be fairly easy to fit wires scavenged from a computer to the harness and connect to them. Biggest question will be how hard it is to reprogram the interface unit. The pics don't all show it, but there is a black box that gets mounted in the dash between the stalk and the H/U.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:10 PM   #21
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mid_life_crisis View Post
All the other 2014 Scions have the same H/U and have SWCs installed. Not sure what good that does though. We know what to connect to and it turns out to be fairly easy to fit wires scavenged from a computer to the harness and connect to them. Biggest question will be how hard it is to reprogram the interface unit. The pics don't all show it, but there is a black box that gets mounted in the dash between the stalk and the H/U.
I read the directions concerning the unit. You can reprogram from the stalk itself. Also, just stash the black box down at the bottom of the steering column cover near the OBD II port. That makes it accessible while still being tucked away.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
Old 01-10-2014, 05:42 PM   #22
laguayo

I may be missing something but why do you need to reprogram if you have the wiring? Is the harness just a few wires and the actual signal data controls the stereo?
Old 01-10-2014, 06:05 PM   #23
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Garage
The signal wires send the data, they're not direct "this pin is for volume up" wired.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
Old 01-11-2014, 12:20 AM   #24
mid_life_crisis

Quote:
I may be missing something but why do you need to reprogram if you have the wiring? Is the harness just a few wires and the actual signal data controls the stereo?
The stalk buttons send a signal to a black box that passes the command along to the H/U in a format it can understand. It might need to be taught how to talk to the factory H/U.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:16 PM   #25
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Garage
It normally does not, though.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
Old 01-12-2014, 09:11 PM   #26
nalc

Drives: 13 BRZ Limited 6MT GBS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Curious to see how these would work - I didn't realize anyone offered something that worked with OEM radios. I guess it has the resistor network in the 'black box' to convert the signals properly?

Anyway, please include me in the discussions. I'd be happy to help out as we learn more about this thing.
nalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:17 PM   #27
mid_life_crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalc View Post
Curious to see how these would work - I didn't realize anyone offered something that worked with OEM radios. I guess it has the resistor network in the 'black box' to convert the signals properly?

Anyway, please include me in the discussions. I'd be happy to help out as we learn more about this thing.
From what I'm seeing so far, we would probably need to order the box for the Subaru with the controls you found.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:08 PM   #28
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalc View Post

At least we have a control unit that can mount to the column without being awkward, even if the electronics after it are entirely DIY. That much is worth something.

I'm going to have my audio installer do the universal stalk for the Sony 701HD I want to get. I like touch screens, but when it comes to audio adjustment and track/freq changing while on the move, I want physical buttons (even if they're soft keys on the HU), not on-screen soft keys.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^