follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #267
sprintertrueno86

Drives: 2018 BMW M2
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spralwers View Post
I like going 375-400 miles on a tank, and only needing to fill up 11.5-12 gallons of gas. Not sure if I'd get that kinda mileage with 230-250hp.

This was a big reason why I bought a twin.
sprintertrueno86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 01:49 PM   #268
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,577 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni_0176 View Post
Without increasing the redline, 50 more hp would require more torque. Likewise, 50 more peak torque (@6600 rpm's) would result in more hp.

I think what you were trying to say was that you want more available torque at lower rpm's. Unfortunately, this is a small displacement engine, so you either need forced induction, a hybrid system, or a larger displacement engine in order to make big torque at low rpm's.
i understand that. im just saying that while so many people are focused on gaining more hp, im more interested in the mid range torque. i know increasing one will increase the other.

while its more than a 50 jump, id like to drive this car with 250whp/200wtq. obviously its going to require some type of FI but I think the car would be a blast at that point. Even more so at 300whp/250wtq.

I think thats about as far as I would want to go with this car. Thats twice the power and torque output at the wheels.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #269
StormTrooper

Drives: Pavement MT GR86
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I bought this car to drive it....and I like to tinker so I am slowly modding it to change the things I think could be better.

I bought new tires and a tune. Next will be exhaust. Why? Well I'm at 4500 ft so drive around with a passenger and the aircon and tell me you wouldn't want a little more.

Past cars were 00 celica GT , 03 VR6 GTI and 11wrx. Much more nimble than the wrx. Not quite the same in the snow
Old 12-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #270
acg2010

Drives: 4 wheels/engine/seats
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
i understand that. im just saying that while so many people are focused on gaining more hp, im more interested in the mid range torque. i know increasing one will increase the other.

while its more than a 50 jump, id like to drive this car with 250whp/200wtq. obviously its going to require some type of FI but I think the car would be a blast at that point. Even more so at 300whp/250wtq.

I think thats about as far as I would want to go with this car. Thats twice the power and torque output at the wheels.
This would be awesome but with 30ish% loss between crank and wheels you're looking at almost 400 horsepower for the latter desired configuration. Even the Audi S5 isn't producing that on a supercharged 3.0L six cylinder. That'd be awesome, but there'd be no way to get the fuel economy and low pricing etc. out of this car at that power. Something's gotta give, sadly. I may be in the minority, but I agree with one of the above posters. The cool looks, good handling and particularly the ability to get good mpg is what's a big draw of the twins.

Given that and traffic etc. (meaning the inability to really open up 400hp) I'm glad they didn't try to compete with say the Mustang 5.0 or a similar big horsepower car.
acg2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to acg2010 For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (12-26-2013)
Old 12-26-2013, 08:03 PM   #271
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,577 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acg2010 View Post
This would be awesome but with 30ish% loss between crank and wheels you're looking at almost 400 horsepower for the latter desired configuration. Even the Audi S5 isn't producing that on a supercharged 3.0L six cylinder. That'd be awesome, but there'd be no way to get the fuel economy and low pricing etc. out of this car at that power. Something's gotta give, sadly. I may be in the minority, but I agree with one of the above posters. The cool looks, good handling and particularly the ability to get good mpg is what's a big draw of the twins.

Given that and traffic etc. (meaning the inability to really open up 400hp) I'm glad they didn't try to compete with say the Mustang 5.0 or a similar big horsepower car.
People are making 300whp just off bolts on, FI, and a tune. It's achievable. Just comes down to how much money you wanna spend.

If I stay with this motor, I'll be going with the Jackson Racing kit coupled with some additional bolt ons and that'll put me around 260whp. I think that'll be a great jump that's easily noticeable.

From the factory standpoint, if the car came with lets say 230hp/170tq WITH NO TORQUE DIP, I think a lot of people would be content.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:43 PM   #272
marebear

Drives: 2014 Pearl White FR-S (HAKU)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tromatic View Post
Those that bitch about HP can't f-ing drive in the first place.

Damned right.

Going fast in a straight line is boring. A '91 (116 HP) Miata was my previous car. No one could touch me in corners, and I had a blast in it. Other than not having to wring its neck from a cold stop, I don't notice the extra HP in my FRS, and I am simply loving the way it handles and BEGS me to drive it.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:50 AM   #273
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,926 Times in 16,469 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marebear View Post
Damned right.

Going fast in a straight line is boring. A '91 (116 HP) Miata was my previous car. No one could touch me in corners, and I had a blast in it. Other than not having to wring its neck from a cold stop, I don't notice the extra HP in my FRS, and I am simply loving the way it handles and BEGS me to drive it.
There ya go ..... good attitude .....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:38 AM   #274
Deep Six

Drives: 2013 FRS / 2013 427 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
There ya go ..... good attitude .....

humfrz
Other than the post she chose to quote which is a devisive opinion blatantly stating that anyone desiring additional horsepower is lacking in driving skills.

One that is also easily countered by the large contingent of much higher powered cars being driven by some pretty damn good drivers at tracks all over the world.
2013 FR-S Asphalt BC Coils/Rev Works UEL header/HKS Front Pipe/Racing Brake BBK/Shorai LW Battery/ACT 6 Puck Clutch/FBM Radiator & Oil Pan/JR Oil Cooler/Jackson Racing High Boost C30/Rev Works Built Motor
2016 Audi TTS APR Tuned

Last edited by Deep Six; 12-29-2013 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Gender correction
Deep Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:58 AM   #275
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I think it boils down to different individuals tastes.

1. Some like to have brisk acceleration without wringing the engines neck while DD and also have the ability to have more power later in the powerband for racing. This is called a "Flexible" engine.

2. The other guys which I assume is the ones who are happy at stock output/torqueless wonders in general like to be revving the piss out of their engines so low-mid range torque doesn't really matter a lot to these guys.

I have own both engines and I prefer #1. There is so much reasons why torqueless motors sucks to own. Turning on the A/C? Car full with people? Passing punch is thinking process? Only plus for me was mpg...lol To each his own. One man might be disappointed but another man isn't.

I want a turbo charged FRS badly!!!!
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:28 AM   #276
livingbreathingproof

Drives: Raven, 6-speed MT FRS.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My first car was an '86 Cavalier.
The first car I bought myself was a BMW 335xi.
My FRS is the third car I've owned, and first car I've bought brand new.
Going to an FRS from a twin'd BMW tuned to about 380hp is kind of saddening.

I'm 21...and regardless, I still feel the FRS is far too slow.
But, I'll be supercharging it soon .
livingbreathingproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:08 PM   #277
Cal3000

Drives: Panda FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I will admit, I found the car a bit too slow for my tastes and I came from a 2012 tC. Also, I experienced my friends APR tuned GTI that put down about 250-260whp. I had to waste my money on FI, so here I am now. I don't think I'll ever go back to stock form. Adding FI made the car 3x more fun to drive.
Along with that, I can also make douchebags that try to intimidate me feel stupid. I love watching mustang gt do ricer flybys. Last gen version of course
Delicious Tuning
Cal3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:44 PM   #278
marebear

Drives: 2014 Pearl White FR-S (HAKU)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Six View Post
Other than the post he chose to quote which is a devisive opinion blatantly stating that anyone desiring additional horsepower is lacking in driving skills.

One that is also easily countered by the large contingent of much higher powered cars being driven by some pretty damn good drivers at tracks all over the world.

But the GOOD drivers aren't the ones telling me I need more HP to enjoy a car I already love. The skilled drivers can tame HP, and they can also lap Lambos in 116 HP miatas (which is what the previous owner of my Miata did do).

If someone automatically tells me I need HP I begin to doubt they are true drivers, and hence my argument stands. Also: I'm a girl (the anime characters all over my posts should have clued you in.)

Old 12-29-2013, 03:27 PM   #279
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,926 Times in 16,469 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Six View Post
Other than the post he chose to quote which is a devisive opinion blatantly stating that anyone desiring additional horsepower is lacking in driving skills.

Hi ya Deep Six .....

I'm not real sure what you just said up there ..... I'm a bit slow on the uptake (sometimes).

However, what I was trying to say is that I believe the poster (which appears to be female ....) has a good attidude about driving a car (her past Miata or present FR-S) which has "limited power" but is good on the curves.

Personally, I drove my stock NC, MX-5 (Miata) for 88,000 miles throughout the Western US & Canada and had a blast. Now, with my FR-S, I plan on driving my limited powered, good cornering machine, for many ah more curvy miles ....

humfrz

"on the road again ......"......
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:53 PM   #280
Deep Six

Drives: 2013 FRS / 2013 427 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by marebear View Post
But the GOOD drivers aren't the ones telling me I need more HP to enjoy a car I already love. The skilled drivers can tame HP, and they can also lap Lambos in 116 HP miatas (which is what the previous owner of my Miata did do).

If someone automatically tells me I need HP I begin to doubt they are true drivers, and hence my argument stands. Also: I'm a girl (the anime characters all over my posts should have clued you in.)

Sorry I missed the clues but I have fixed my post. We are probably a generation apart so I was a little slow processing the "anime" reference.

I agree with you completely regarding the merits of a great handling car and frankly no one has any business telling you what your car "needs" other than yourself ! But the same logic applies to others who do want higher power levels and the post that you quoted was simply an arrogant statement meant specifically to be offensive.
2013 FR-S Asphalt BC Coils/Rev Works UEL header/HKS Front Pipe/Racing Brake BBK/Shorai LW Battery/ACT 6 Puck Clutch/FBM Radiator & Oil Pan/JR Oil Cooler/Jackson Racing High Boost C30/Rev Works Built Motor
2016 Audi TTS APR Tuned
Deep Six is offline   Reply With Quote