follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 12-26-2013, 04:12 PM   #57
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
~330whp. Makes almost no difference for us, since we tune for reliability, not outright power.
~3.5% difference between E85 and 91??? That's what I call leaving some power on the table.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:50 PM   #58
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,183 Times in 6,838 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
~3.5% difference between E85 and 91??? That's what I call leaving some power on the table.
E85 doesn't get you the same benefit on a supercharger as with a turbocharger. While you can use the full benefits by getting a smaller pulley to get more boost, it's not as simple as just adjusting a boost controller and/or calibrations on a turbocharged car.

Typically with a turbo car, you simultaneously increase boost while adding timing with E85. With the supercharged car, you're not increasing boost, only adding timing.
CSG Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:04 PM   #59
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Which engine oil cooler kit are you guys going with for track usage? I'm still weary of my Perrin OC kit fitting without modification. I also want to see pics of an engine OC and Rotrex OC mounted side by side behind the IC
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:13 PM   #60
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
Which engine oil cooler kit are you guys going with for track usage? I'm still weary of my Perrin OC kit fitting without modification. I also want to see pics of an engine OC and Rotrex OC mounted side by side behind the IC
We have something in development, coming soon

It'll be a all-in-one radiator oil-to-water oil cooler combo. We believe a space-efficient solution will be key with many FI setups out there.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (12-27-2013)
Old 12-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #61
SubieNate

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:

It'll be a all-in-one radiator oil-to-water oil cooler combo. We believe a space-efficient solution will be key with many FI setups out there.
Does Robi know what you're up to?

The kit looks good. Are any of the other Rotrex kits going to be CARB legal? In looking at the centrifugal kits the Rotrex variety definitely has the most appeal to me.

Cheers
Nathan
SubieNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:01 PM   #62
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieNate View Post

The kit looks good. Are any of the other Rotrex kits going to be CARB legal? In looking at the centrifugal kits the Rotrex variety definitely has the most appeal to me.

Cheers
Nathan
I'm sure he does; we've discussed it with him before.

Kraftwerks says they are seeking CARB approval, but as of now, Jackson Racing is the only CARB legal Rotrex kit.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:27 PM   #63
CSG David

Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieNate View Post

Cheers
Nathan
You're alive Nathan!
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #64
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Quote:

Does the kit come with the correct bracketry to make the side-by-side coolers work?

I want to see @Jackson Racing 's official engine oil cooling solution for their car.

They say in the instructions that an engine oil cooler is needed before tracking the car, and they tracked theirs extensively in development, yet I still haven't seen a single JRSC FA20 pictured running an engine oil cooler yet...

I still have hope that I could adapt my Perrin OC kit without modification to the sandwich plate/adapter/lines should I get this SC kit in the future.

If not, I'd like to know what my options are before installing.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:49 PM   #65
CSG Mike

Quote:
Does the kit come with the correct bracketry to make the side-by-side coolers work?

I want to see @Jackson Racing 's official engine oil cooling solution for their car.

They say in the instructions that an engine oil cooler is needed before tracking the car, and they tracked theirs extensively in development, yet I still haven't seen a single JR kitted FA20 pictured running an engine oil cooler yet...
All I can say is that Jackson Racing will be releasing their oil cooler soon. The development is done, and they're just waiting for everything to arrive so that they can assemble the kits.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:55 PM   #66
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Quote:
All I can say is that Jackson Racing will be releasing their oil cooler soon. The development is done, and they're just waiting for everything to arrive so that they can assemble the kits.
Do you feel in your educated opinion that the Perrin OC kit will work without modification?

I understand you can't give details on the JR OC kit before it's released.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:00 PM   #67
CSG Mike

Quote:
Do you feel in your educated opinion that the Perrin OC kit will work without modification?

I understand you can't give details on the JR OC kit before it's released.
It will not. It's in the same location (or very close to) the FMIC. However, it should be pretty easy to redrill the brackets to sit the oil cooler just a little bit further back.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:03 PM   #68
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Quote:
It will not. It's in the same location (or very close to) the FMIC. However, it should be pretty easy to redrill the brackets to sit the oil cooler just a little bit further back.
Gotcha. I knew it wouldn't work with the FMIC in the intended mounting location with the Perrin supplied "feet" in the front & center of the under tray.

I was wondering if I could just get the JR side-by-side bracket and mount the Perrin cooler (generic 10 row Mocal) behind the FMIC beside the Rotrex cooler without having to un-install everything and sell it and buy a whole other kit that will presumably be very similar.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #69
CSG Mike

Quote:
Gotcha. I knew it wouldn't work with the FMIC in the intended mounting location with the Perrin supplied "feet" in the front & center of the under tray.

I was wondering if I could just get the JR side-by-side bracket and mount the Perrin cooler (generic 10 row Mocal) behind the FMIC beside the Rotrex cooler without having to un-install everything and sell it and buy a whole other kit.
I don't have too many details on the actual cooler, but I'll let you know when I have more solid info
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (12-27-2013)
Old 12-27-2013, 10:19 PM   #70
matchamochi

Drives: swp brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hopefully this isn't too dumb of a question - From a dead stop if you gun it do you feel glued to your seat?

I noticed in the first post you said everything is very linear, but in another post you said you can definitely feel it above 6k rpms.

I came from a mazdaspeed 3 w/ minor upgrades and an ecu and obv turbo and sc feeling are different, but the stock engine has really left me a little lacking.

I'm in Cali and this is my daily driver in a police infested zone so I'd like to keep things on the up in up...
matchamochi is offline   Reply With Quote