follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-19-2013, 08:07 PM   #15
Xdragonxb0i

Drives: ex500r
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottDRFT View Post
Were you able to fix it?
yeah i just unplugged the ecu and it went away so far. But i should be getting a tune from tony soon.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:29 PM   #16
TAP Auto Parts
Banned

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
In California I believe you don't have to smog you car for the first 5 or 6 years. When I bought my wifes car in 2007 there wasn't smog due until 2012. Also if you want to fix your CEL lights all you would need is an O2 simulator. This should trick the O2 sensor in thinking the correct flow is measures. If you need any tip or questions PM, email, or call me BJ@tapauto.com
TAP Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #17
Adeets
OEDC

Drives: Vortech 8.5psi 274WHP 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
do not buy borla headers as a borla owner, I can't stress that enough.
Adeets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:11 PM   #18
PoorMansRacing
Anorexic

Drives: 2003 Honda S2000 Suzuka Blue
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeets View Post
do not buy borla headers as a borla owner, I can't stress that enough.
Why?
PoorMansRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #19
ExtremeAutowerks

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZTimeTrials View Post
Why?
Quality of the headers is what I hear is wrong with the headers.
ExtremeAutowerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:02 PM   #20

Drives: UM86 - 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
My car is new. Am I still required to get the biennial smog inspection? Vehicles registered in areas subject to the biennial smog certification program are required to submit evidence of a smog certification every other renewal period. Starting January 1, 2005, owners of vehicles six or less model years old will pay an annual smog abatement fee for the first six registration years instead of being required to provide a biennial smog certification. The registration renewal notice mailed to you by the department will indicate if a smog certification is required. If a smog certification is required and you have not had a smog inspection, you may still pay your registration fees to avoid any late fees. However, you will not receive your new registration or year sticker until the smog information has been received by DMV.
NOTE: Upon initial registration, nonresident, diesel powered vehicles 1998 model year and newer with a Gross Vehicle Weight rating (GVWR) of no more than 14,000 lbs, and specially constructed vehicles 1976 and newer require smog certification. The six or less model years old rule does not apply to these vehicle

source: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm
1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:32 AM   #21
kuhlka

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited AT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefshayan View Post
The CEL doesn't worry me as much because I will eventually purchase an ECUtek that will take care of that. I live in stuck-up California and they are real assholes when it comes to these things. So I want to keep a system that keeps the 02 sensor and doesn't require me to throw on the stock header every 2 years to pass smog. Some companies that I've looked into are JDL, Rev Works, and Borla.

So I'm asking you what's your experience the headers on your car, did you install yourself, and to calm me on any of my many worries above. I'm really excited to modify my car instead of having the ricer-image of only putting an exhaust on the car lol. Thanks guys
I installed the Rev Works UEL header myself and used a lift. It was easy. In hindsight, I would buy the ECUtek and the header at the same time and get a tune to match the header. The stock tune runs lean on a catless header because of the extra flow. Better safe than end up with burned up valves, injectors, or other issues. Besides, the car runs MUCH better with the proper tuning.

I've been very happy with Drift-Office thus far.
kuhlka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cel, frs, header, headers, modify