follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #57
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trmx2 View Post
What would I notice in terms of this, feeling wise if you can describe it? I DO like stiffness and I like zippy, tight handling. When there is almost no body roll and the center of gravity in a car seems almost attached to the ground. I like that feeling, I feel like cars zip around turns and corners really well that way. I don't know what it would feel like on the FRS though. I'd need to drive a car with that setup. Coilovers really? What do you recommend? I'm going to check into those springs you mentioned.

As far as the drop in filter and cat-back would you recommend that instead of the CAI? I was looking at the Takeda CAI, but I have also considered the drop in. Tuning, ok, pardon my noobness, but how and what do I do in terms of that? How does that affect warranty? I heard about that OpenFlash from perusing here but I still know nothing about it. Better power and torque curve ratio is something that I am interested in, so I do agree there.

Oh yeah I definitely want a good wheel/tire setup I live in Florida so performance tires/summer tires we can use year round here with no issues. I had some really nice Yokohama's on my crappy Mazda 3 and that drastically changed how well it drove, it was great. I've also had some good luck with the higher end Sumitomo's. I am definitely going to be getting a nice tire/wheel setup, but that's $$$$ that I unfortunately cannot afford to dish out right now, especially with a soon to come car payment

You've been a lot of help, I appreciate all your advice and time.
The tune is done by plugging in to the obd port and using the tuning software to install preloaded maps. It seems a drop in filter is producing similar gains to CAIs for the price, but CAI do make a bit more HP (less than 5 or so.)

Sway bars would get you what you want, but it the size you need to be cateful of. Too big in one part or the other and it can become unbalanced. This doesnt meanto put the same size bar front and rear. Spend some time reading STX builds in the track/autox forums. They are the best examples of getting the best out of a car "on a budget" relatively speaking. STX is an autox class btw that allows basic mods that most of us would normally do.

If this is basically your DD you prob dont need coilovers. They get much stiffer spring rates, and higher end ones (KW, Apexi Sport-i Moto spec) have great dampening and valving to still have a good ride on the street. But your looking at around 2k for a setup.

Honestly, I know you dont have the cash just yet, but springs, tires, and strut bars would get you where you want to be. Scour craigslist for used wheels or look at Rota's. You can get on the road wheels and tires for like 1200. This car already is amazing. Super low CoG, nimble, light, and responsive. Go from there.

If you want to tighten things up after look at things like steering rack bushing, rear subframe bushings, ss brake lines, etc.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
fazm (11-07-2013)
Old 11-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #58
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
@Trmx2 bear in mind that each modification will have some downside. And when you add a lot of them together, it is possible to ruin a car through modifications. Think of the sum of the parts, the cohesive overall car setup. Think long term development.

Lots of people with highly modified cars do not like to admit this, but it is what it is. The marketing pitch about "racecar for the street" only goes so far. In reality, a great race car makes a shit road car, and vice versa.

Think carefully about your mods but remember not to let it get in your way of having fun and making memories.
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bestwheelbase For This Useful Post:
fazm (11-07-2013), ichitaka05 (11-07-2013)
Old 11-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #59
mfbmike

Drives: 2013 FRS, 2008 R32
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Oh awesome, I am in that area daily since I work and attend FIU. I wonder if we've seen each other? lol
I live maybe 5-10 minutes from FIU. lol.

We might have.
mfbmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #60
Trmx2

Drives: 2014 Raven FR-S 6spd
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by randel_07 View Post
but doesn't it also absorb more sunlight which makes it heavier

Actually, since the car is really a product of the planet Krypton, it's ability to absorb more light in a yellow sun gives it unlimited strength, speed, and power thus making it faster than any FR-S to date.
Trmx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #61
Trmx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfbmike View Post
I live maybe 5-10 minutes from FIU. lol.

We might have.

Our cars will have to meet up one day, I'm here everyday, I'd love to meet a fellow owner. I'm looking to get a nice little club going, or join an already existing one.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:44 PM   #62
Trmx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestwheelbase View Post
@Trmx2 bear in mind that each modification will have some downside. And when you add a lot of them together, it is possible to ruin a car through modifications. Think of the sum of the parts, the cohesive overall car setup. Think long term development.

Lots of people with highly modified cars do not like to admit this, but it is what it is. The marketing pitch about "racecar for the street" only goes so far. In reality, a great race car makes a shit road car, and vice versa.

Think carefully about your mods but remember not to let it get in your way of having fun and making memories.

Yeah, that is EXACTLY what I am afraid of. I know a lot of guys with highly tuned Rx-7's, GTI's, SI's, G37's, and the street drivability looks atrocious, but the second the car gets a large open road, it hauls ass.

I want the best of both worlds (or as close to it as I can get) I don't care about "plushness" of ride, or road noise (within reason), I do care about usability of the car, I want increased street performance, realistically, I'm never going to race this car, and probably will never drift it or any of those things, I just want a fun toy to play around with on the streets. If I do take it to the track it would only to be to test my driving ability and to learn about the car. If I get good track times, that's a plus too.

So I ultimately want a finely tuned, street friendly car. If that makes any sense.

I know so little about parts and combinations and even reading through the forums is confusing me and making my head spin.

I just took a look at the TWM short shifter for the car, I like that, and I like short shifting, my friend owned a celica gts and got the TRD short shifter and it was a world of improvement. I was also thinking of the MTEC Shift Springs but would those be necessary if I get the TWM Shift Kit? These are the kinds of things I know nothing about.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #63
Boom
(Jo_o)J

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by randel_07 View Post
but doesn't it also absorb more sunlight which makes it heavier
Name:  no.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  26.4 KB
Old 11-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #64
mfbmike

Drives: 2013 FRS, 2008 R32
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Our cars will have to meet up one day, I'm here everyday, I'd love to meet a fellow owner. I'm looking to get a nice little club going, or join an already existing one.
We can do that. Check out the southeast regional forums.

Sometimes 86 owners down here meet at London Square on Thursday nights.

I actually might be heading up to Plantation on Sunday to install my TRD spoiler with a local 86 owner/buddy.
mfbmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:30 PM   #65
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Check out the Carroll Smith books.
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #66
dnieves

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
Ravens are also 2hp faster than all the other colors
I read ricer colors like fluorescents are at least -20 hp.
dnieves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:30 AM   #67
Tfrase

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Hello Trmx2 ......again .....

Congratulations on your new car!

It's one of the best "right out of the box" cars on the market .... for the price.

It really doesn't NEED any modding ..... just drive it.

However, just don't stare at certain parts too long ..... because:

* the exaust tips will start looking goofy
* the radio antennae will look too long
* the orange side markers will look out of place
* the trunk will look too plain without a wing
* the tires may start being not sticky enough
* the wheel gap will get larger
* the exhaust will become too quiet

It looks just fine ..... it has enough power ..... just drive it!

humfrz
1-4 .... Already there! Shark fin is next on the list to do. Armrest and spoiler purchased. The side markers will be my first self-mod attempt.
Tfrase is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tfrase For This Useful Post:
humfrz (11-09-2013)
Old 11-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #68
root

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
There should be a local SCCA auto cross nearby, do it! Leave the car bone stock and get into solo II. It'll give you a baseline knowledge of the car. Then make mods one by one so you can actually tell what differences it made. As mentioned, the number one top mod should be better tires. Over a 60 second course tires can make a 2 second or more difference, I don't think there's a single mod that can make as much a difference, and without good tires much of those other mods are wasted anyway. I'm still running bone stock on original all season tires, going on one year now.
And Solo II will be the cheapest you can get into performance driving, all that is required is membership in SCCA and a proper helmet, which often can be borrowed at events. Solo II will rarely get above 60mph and is held in controlled clear area, no worries about damage to car aside from kicking up gravel.
And odds are good you'll meet other FR-S/BRZ drivers and can check out and get feedback on mods from them. Like what size rims and tires can be easily fit, etc.
root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to root For This Useful Post:
fazm (11-10-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 12:23 PM   #69
jarviz

Drives: Raven FRS MT
Quote:
Well, maybe so ...... but.....the "swirls" do set up a micro-turbulence on the surface of a black car .... thus slowing it down ....

humfrz
well now that you explain the logic behind it, i guess it does make sense =(
jarviz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jarviz For This Useful Post:
humfrz (11-11-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 03:53 PM   #70
root

Drives: Raven FR-S
Quote:
Well, maybe so ...... but.....the "swirls" do set up a micro-turbulence on the surface of a black car .... thus slowing it down ....

humfrz
Actually it might set up a boundry layer of air, concept of how golfballs and submarine skins work, making it faster!
And the air inside heats up more making it lighter!
root is offline   Reply With Quote