follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) — General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) — General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

Register and become an FT86Club.com member. You will see fewer ads

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-04-2013, 04:33 AM   #71
uEih
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: CBS Subaru BRZ Limited
Location: California
Posts: 458
Thanks: 162
Thanked 91 Times in 77 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qqzj View Post
Anybody can give a table between gears and rpm's? I read the whole discussion and I am still at a loss. (suppose we downshift by 1 or 2 gear each time).
When I downshift 1 gear a full stab at the gas usually gets me to the right rpm. Usually it's about a 1k rpm difference down a gear.
uEih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #72
qqzj
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Drives: MDX, Camry
Location: SF, CA
Posts: 399
Thanks: 54
Thanked 69 Times in 44 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Thanks. I see. So typically just put it to 3k should be fine. On freeway, maybe make it 4k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uEih View Post
When I downshift 1 gear a full stab at the gas usually gets me to the right rpm. Usually it's about a 1k rpm difference down a gear.
qqzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:18 PM   #73
SuiSid3l
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout White
Location: Arizona
Posts: 139
Thanks: 9
Thanked 40 Times in 30 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I've rev matched for so long in a manual for normal driving it just feels wierd to NOT do it. I honestly don't think I even know how to downshift w/o it anymore.

Bonus points if your in love with your cars exhaust note, b/c you get to hear it all the time.

Last edited by SuiSid3l; 11-04-2013 at 02:28 PM.
SuiSid3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #74
Marcoscrdo
Senior Member
 
Marcoscrdo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Drives: 13' DGM Built FBM BRZ
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland
Posts: 1,280
Thanks: 761
Thanked 250 Times in 195 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
rev matching only good before a turn or can be used anytime? like a stop sign or yielding turn?
Marcoscrdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #75
chrisl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2006 Cayman S, 2007 Outback 2.5i
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,116
Thanks: 116
Thanked 455 Times in 303 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Rev matching is good any time you shift.
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #76
strat61caster
-
 
strat61caster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 10,386
Thanks: 13,791
Thanked 9,502 Times in 5,013 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcoscrdo View Post
rev matching only good before a turn or can be used anytime? like a stop sign or yielding turn?
If you're downshifting you should bring the motor up to the appropriate rpm's to make for the smoothest ride and minimize clutch wear.

If you just clutch in from fifth gear down to a stop that's fine too.*

*waits for the heel-toe-downshift brigade telling me how this is unsafe
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
ineedyourdiddly
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #77
RallySport Direct
 
RallySport Direct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Drives: 2014 Widebody Cosworth FR-S
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 4,542
Thanks: 205
Thanked 1,199 Times in 554 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcoscrdo View Post
rev matching only good before a turn or can be used anytime? like a stop sign or yielding turn?
I think it is a good thing to do all of the time for a few reasons.

If done correctly it can increase the life of the clutch and brake pads, essentially using the engine to decelerate.

Perhaps a small bump in fuel economy as IDC %'s will be 0 with the car in gear and decelerating.

It's fun and is great practice. I always feel like a pro racer when I can execute quick rev match downshifts perfectly. I rev match every single day, and 85% of the time they are perfect... we don't talk about the other 15% haha.



Thanks!
Rick
RallySport Direct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:22 PM   #78
moomoopanda
Senior Member
 
moomoopanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Drives: Argento FRS
Location: Washington
Posts: 272
Thanks: 21
Thanked 343 Times in 100 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
I find rev matching and heel-toe-ing on the daily makes for good practice. It'll become natural and a habit if you ever track your car...
__________________
moomoopanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:27 PM   #79
SuiSid3l
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout White
Location: Arizona
Posts: 139
Thanks: 9
Thanked 40 Times in 30 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Having an appropriately sized gas pedal makes a world of difference too IMO. Have the CUSCO pedal addon in my FR-S and it made all the difference on the ease of hitting that rev might consistently.
SuiSid3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #80
daiheadjai
Senior Member
 
daiheadjai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,990
Thanks: 2,584
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I find 2nd gear is a bit harder to downshift into smoothly - I double-clutch (just force of habit - it feels more natural to me than a regular rev-match now), and I'm great with 6-5, 5-4, and 4-3 downshifts, but 2nd always seems to lock a bit for me - I feel like the throttle just doesn't behave quite the way I want it to (didn't have this problem in my 02 Celica) - is it possible that the drive-by-wire throttle just isn't as linear?

I feel like I really need to stomp it in order to get 2nd smooth...

Incidentally, if you've ever had to slow down rapidly in a straight-line in traffic, heel-toe might be handy, as you can maintain braking while simultaneously downshifting (benefit from engine braking as well as being able to accelerate quickly if the situation calls for it) - this is a piece that I still need to learn.
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:27 PM   #81
bkblitzed
is better than you
 
bkblitzed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Drives: 2013 raven FRS
Location: Norcal
Posts: 1,293
Thanks: 591
Thanked 1,347 Times in 745 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
you know you rev match/heel and toe too much when you just do it for fun
bkblitzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:31 PM   #82
_______
Senior Member
 
_______'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Drives: SWP Subaru BRZ
Location: NJ, United States
Posts: 156
Thanks: 22
Thanked 35 Times in 24 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daiheadjai View Post
I find 2nd gear is a bit harder to downshift into smoothly - I double-clutch (just force of habit - it feels more natural to me than a regular rev-match now), and I'm great with 6-5, 5-4, and 4-3 downshifts, but 2nd always seems to lock a bit for me - I feel like the throttle just doesn't behave quite the way I want it to (didn't have this problem in my 02 Celica) - is it possible that the drive-by-wire throttle just isn't as linear?

I feel like I really need to stomp it in order to get 2nd smooth...

Incidentally, if you've ever had to slow down rapidly in a straight-line in traffic, heel-toe might be handy, as you can maintain braking while simultaneously downshifting (benefit from engine braking as well as being able to accelerate quickly if the situation calls for it) - this is a piece that I still need to learn.
Agreed downshifting to 2nd gear is quite tricky. Even if you stomp on it its smoother but still feels weird. Dont know about everyone else but I find it hard to rev match 2nd gear. My old RSX used shift smoothly into 2nd with a rev match. I really dont bother with downshifting to 2nd cause luckily I found 3rd gear quite adequate in the 10-15 MPH range. Or Id just stop and start from 1st.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:48 AM   #83
uEih
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: CBS Subaru BRZ Limited
Location: California
Posts: 458
Thanks: 162
Thanked 91 Times in 77 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qqzj View Post
Thanks. I see. So typically just put it to 3k should be fine. On freeway, maybe make it 4k.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. If you're on 4th and wanna go to 3rd, usually if you're around 2k rpm you give it a quick rev and bring it up to around 3k or just before it and the rpm should match.
uEih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:50 AM   #84
uEih
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: CBS Subaru BRZ Limited
Location: California
Posts: 458
Thanks: 162
Thanked 91 Times in 77 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daiheadjai View Post
I find 2nd gear is a bit harder to downshift into smoothly - I double-clutch (just force of habit - it feels more natural to me than a regular rev-match now), and I'm great with 6-5, 5-4, and 4-3 downshifts, but 2nd always seems to lock a bit for me - I feel like the throttle just doesn't behave quite the way I want it to (didn't have this problem in my 02 Celica) - is it possible that the drive-by-wire throttle just isn't as linear?

I feel like I really need to stomp it in order to get 2nd smooth...

Incidentally, if you've ever had to slow down rapidly in a straight-line in traffic, heel-toe might be handy, as you can maintain braking while simultaneously downshifting (benefit from engine braking as well as being able to accelerate quickly if the situation calls for it) - this is a piece that I still need to learn.
I rarely downshift to 2nd, it's always too harsh. I go 3rd for the lowest most of the time.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bkblitzed View Post
you know you rev match/heel and toe too much when you just do it for fun

Rev matching is fun, just makes it that much more fun driving the car. Heel toeing however I find difficult still, never started heel toeing until this car so it's gonna take some practice.
uEih is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Matching car seat Yruyur Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 13 05-05-2013 09:26 AM
Rev Matching Selvedge Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 17 11-11-2012 05:48 PM
Color matching? the Red Devil Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 7 09-14-2012 12:01 PM
Matching shocks with springs Ben_G Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 14 07-22-2012 09:32 PM
Color Matching Headlights? i2ex FR-S & 86 Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum 15 06-23-2012 08:01 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.