follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 09:19 PM   #1
Xero-Limit

Drives: JDL Turbo FRS, 335SC BRZ (ret)
Thanked 1,536 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 378 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
The Moto-BRZ

I've been heavily in the MX-5 crowd for years, and in 2006 just months after announcement I picked one up because it was the only RWD affordable light weight car. I had MR2s, a 240sx that was going to be an RB swap, DSMs; but the light RWD sold me. Fast forward 7 years later and the MX-5 has a disco potato, 350+ whp, and is just silly, but is starting to age. Now with some offspring it is time for something that can take the little ones in a pinch, and being an EcuTek tuner means owning one is a justifiable expense to get the tuning spot on

I wanted the blue, I wanted the subaru variant, and sure enough my local dealer had it. Goodbye forester!

With 8 miles on the clock the EcuTek RaceROM features went in, and I got to work. However, before doing anything drastic we need to see what the stock setup does. That and it is nice to have a reliable, sedate DD for a while!

So there she was, a few days after picking it up:

One of the reasons I was able to get a half decent price is that in the NE the RWDs are cheaper when it is mid-winter!

But it has now thawed, and we are testing some parts on this and other FT86 platform cars. So some of those will make it onto this car after the initial test period. The goal of this build (at least, the first year or two,) is to minimize NVH, maximize HP, and make sure reliability is no different than stock.

So far we've run E85 with no issues, spent some time on the dyno making HP, and soon the header will go on. I don't see FI in the future for this car after experiencing the 4-1 header, but who knows....Fortunately we have folks running all kinds of different setups, so we will pool that cumulative knowledge into the most affordable way to make this platform balanced, reliable, and usable below 4200 rpm!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xero-Limit For This Useful Post:
diodelphi (01-20-2015), nix (04-28-2013)
Old 04-28-2013, 12:33 AM   #2
TRD_07

Drives: Firestorm 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your brz!
Old 04-28-2013, 12:46 AM   #3
m.wood0213
Driving Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Nice I love my WRB BRZ!!! Congrats
ďThis isnít a supercar, itís a sports car. It sacrifices rear seats yes but it just feels alive. Pure, direct, immediate. The other two are going to get all the admiring looks yes, thatís my point. Iím not driving around in this for other peopleís benefit. Iím driving around in this BECAUSE I LOVE DRIVING IT. END!Ē
-Richard Hammond, Top Gear, USA Supercar Road Trip, 2011 Porsche GT3 RS.
My BRZ
Old 04-28-2013, 01:35 AM   #4
NorseLegend
A Very Annoying Person

Drives: Subaru Impreza :( Hopefully BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Welcome! I love that snow pic!

All your base are belong to me.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:32 PM   #5
Xero-Limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorseLegend View Post
Welcome! I love that snow pic!
All your base are belong to me.
No, all your base are belong to us can't have my base.....

So despite being the daily some things are frustrating and must be taken care of. Surprisingly the suspension has a nice stiff spring rate, and well dampened; but as I mentioned in another thread, the diff is hung by bubble gum and leads to awful response in the on/off throttle area. So we did as any responsible parent would, and in the name of safety, upgraded the bushings. So far we got the rear subframe and power steering bushings in place. Able to do it with a c-clamp and not need any special tools in the front, the rear was easy as can get. Was going to do it on the lift but it ended up being quite easy on the ground and took less time than the drive to the shop. The "assistant" unfortunately shed some tears at the sound of an impact gun, so we were delayed just a bit here

Whiteline inserts

And the cobbled together single. This was actually a prototype IC pipe from the blow through setup I made for the MX-5, but it was enough scrap to put together a single outlet muffler delete. Oddly enough it sounds GREAT. Hardly any drone (only at 2400 and 5000 rpm) so not at cruise, and sounds awesome up top. It gave me motivation to make some plans for production purposes

For now it is back to the stock exhaust, once we get the JDL header we will be doing some pump gas testing and putting together a one-off ultralight exhaust without the titanium price tag, and maybe put together a properly done CAI to see if there are truly any gains there. Until then I think this will remain a NA build, and the goal will be to find the best bang for the buck mods and stay as civilized as possible...at least until the warranty is done

Last edited by Xero-Limit; 09-01-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
Xero-Limit

It has been a while since I've gotten to update this, but many things have changed!

We started off playing with the intake while naturally aspirated. Stock snorkel:

It is a bit small. So for kicks we made a simple aluminum version of a CAI, and it actually worked fairly well and sounded good, but did not yield any noticeable gains. We will hold out until something a bit more, lets say interesting, comes to the market.

So back to playing with the exhaust. We made an aluminum axle back, as well as cat back. Using custom machined flanges the axle back ended up weighing in at about 4 lbs, and sounds absolutely wicked, without drone! These are likely going to be released later this year, we have 35 flanges here

The exhausts were mocked up and sent our local autox racer for durability testing, who promptly destroyed the one prototype by driving in NYC low enough to be on the bumpstops! So much for the diff clearance...we'll stick to the axleback for now. Why we take our time testing this stuff...

In the pursuit of power the suspension has plenty of room for improvement. A hotchkis rear sway bar and eibach front took place of the stock units.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xero-Limit For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (09-02-2013), mxsled (09-01-2013)
Old 09-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #7
Xero-Limit

The goal is to have it be a usable street car, so we will see at what point we really need to change out the stock shocks/springs. On the stock tires it feels just fine with the sway bars. Now power...here we had to do something! No amount of tuning can make it feel as we think it should. However, I'm not looking to duplicate the miata (high hp/high maintenance) so we're sticking to a "sedate" innovate twin screw SC.

Then we noticed how sluggish the response of this motor is. Adding the SC makes this even worse. Luckily our friends at Raceseng make some kick ass pulleys, so we pulled some off their shelf and threw them on the car.

And while adding the products to the webstore, these just jumped out and we had to grab them!

^^^^^^^ yes that is a go-pro mount built in!
Old 10-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #8
Xero-Limit

Giving the car some love before winter.

Prototype Raceseng Stiff Arm STBs. Much lighter than stock and stronger.

For testing purposes we made a cone filter intake. Sounds awesome!

A little interior bling with the Raceseng Slammer shift knob. 623 grams of stainless shifting.

Now all of the power was starting to get a little troublesome on the stock suspension, and the tires were burned through in just 13k miles. We first put on the Enkei RPF1 Tony Angelo edition 18x9.5 35 ET wheels with goodyear Eagle F1 255/18's. Looked a little odd so on went the Muteki lugs in blue and enkei center caps. Fine and good except that it still looked like a 4x4 and the tire rubbed the stock spring perch. It was a good deal of debate, but ultimately we settled on the H&R coilovers. These use stainless bodies, expertly valved, and are a great balance of comfort and performance. Absolutely zero regrets here. They just rock. At fully lowered we were clearly on the bump stops. At the height it is pictured, it handles PERFECTLY. No doubt with a double adjustable shock one could set up for each turn, but this is a street / occasional track or autox car; we will never be devoting the kind of time to make use of that adjustment range. Here it is on a comfortable height:

And after months of waiting, our JDL header came in. What can I say...perfect.

[ame]http://youtu.be/oN9oltJNzeY[/ame]

So that is all for now. There's a few more things we have to add to this, but this car is so close to perfect as is for what we want. Comfortable, fast, handles, and looks good. If it only came that way from the factory!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Xero-Limit For This Useful Post:
mikalem (10-19-2013), sprintertrueno86 (10-19-2013), whataboutbob (10-19-2013)
Old 10-19-2013, 01:39 PM   #9
immaculate

Drives: 2017 Audi S3
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Great build so far. I'm from Easton originally and come back often, so I will surely be giving you guys some business once I get my BRZ paid off.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:48 PM   #10
swift996

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Coming along nice.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #11
Gary in NJ

Drives: WR Blue BRZ, 240Z
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Looks good Mike. I wish my old bones could handle a lowered suspension.

Old 10-19-2013, 05:48 PM   #12
ViR2

Drives: Alfa Romeo MiTo (yet to be GT86)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
is that a massive backfire in the vid?
Old 10-19-2013, 06:50 PM   #13
Xero-Limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViR2 View Post
is that a massive backfire in the vid?
Yup, it can be enabled it disabled via map switching
Old 10-19-2013, 10:31 PM   #14
chutrain

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Great updates. Can't wait to get my JDL and have you tune.
2006 Subaru Legacy GT Spec B #444/500 (For Sale)
2013 Subaru BRZ WRB Limited - Acquired 9/15/12

Closed Thread