follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Mid-Atlantic

Mid-Atlantic DC, DE, MD, VA, WV

User Tag List

Old 10-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #3305
Jrohit

Drives: 2013 FRS 10 Series #2072 (6MT)
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I was given summer tires for the car, just thought of that today . I really don't want to shell out more money for winter tires for stock rims. Gonna hit the dealership and see if they can switch it (thanks kanundrum)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #3306
Areddi

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanundrum View Post
Mid Atlantic folks now that winter is going to come in the next month or so are you switching over to all seasons or winter tires?
So I have the stock all-seasons I run around town on, and another set of stockers with my ZII's for racing. I picked up a set of 16x6.5 Legacy GT wheel on Craigslist for $90, and got a cheap set of the winters for them.

In theory, around here you can essentially run an all-season all year, or at least in the last two years that has been the case with little snow. If we get any decent snow this year (let's hope) then I'd probably run the winters like late November to early March and just leave them on. No real downside to having them on other than the noise and maybe slight mpg loss.

I also picked up a used truck recently so I'll probably just drive that when it snows or on slushy days, but I will def take the FR-S out on a snow day for some fun as long as it's not too deep. The car actually does really well in the snow with the winters on. The real main concern for me is just exposing the underside to as little slush and road salt as possible.

Also, they look badass (I painted the wheels black):
Jrohit (10-09-2013), kanundrum (10-09-2013)
Old 10-09-2013, 04:54 PM   #3307
Jrohit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Areddi View Post
So I have the stock all-seasons I run around town on, and another set of stockers with my ZII's for racing. I picked up a set of 16x6.5 Legacy GT wheel on Craigslist for $90, and got a cheap set of the winters for them.

In theory, around here you can essentially run an all-season all year, or at least in the last two years that has been the case with little snow. If we get any decent snow this year (let's hope) then I'd probably run the winters like late November to early March and just leave them on. No real downside to having them on other than the noise and maybe slight mpg loss.

I also picked up a used truck recently so I'll probably just drive that when it snows or on slushy days, but I will def take the FR-S out on a snow day for some fun as long as it's not too deep. The car actually does really well in the snow with the winters on. The real main concern for me is just exposing the underside to as little slush and road salt as possible.

Also, they look badass (I painted the wheels black):
You're pretty much set for the winter!
Old 10-09-2013, 04:58 PM   #3308
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Mid Atlantic folks now that winter is going to come in the next month or so are you switching over to all seasons or winter tires?
Usually not til Thanksgiving. There was that one odd snow before Thanksgiving a few years ago, but that's not the norm. When it's consistently 40° out is when you shouldn't be out on summer rubber, though some compounds are already compromised at 50°. I prefer proper snow tires, usually from the high performance category since around here studdable snows are overkill. If you're switching tires, why switch to a tire that does nothing well? Just not a fan of all-seasons.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #3309
kanundrum

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 3,016 Times in 1,711 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
^^ Exactly Summer tires are all about temps and anything below 60's things start getting wonky and I can tell for a fact. Any margin of error is what I like to avoid.
Jrohit (10-09-2013)
Old 10-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #3310
Jrohit

I've heard that fire stations give out sandbags for free... Could be useful for the topic of winter tires.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #3311
Areddi

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Usually not til Thanksgiving. There was that one odd snow before Thanksgiving a few years ago, but that's not the norm. When it's consistently 40° out is when you shouldn't be out on summer rubber, though some compounds are already compromised at 50°. I prefer proper snow tires, usually from the high performance category since around here studdable snows are overkill. If you're switching tires, why switch to a tire that does nothing well? Just not a fan of all-seasons.
All good points here for anyone thinking about what to do. Summer tires when it is cold out can be dangerous.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #3312
IloveBaldEagles

Drives: Gray.
Thanked 2,086 Times in 995 Posts
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
The only dangerous thing on the road during winter is me!
IloveBaldEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IloveBaldEagles For This Useful Post:
ftc~brz (10-09-2013), kanundrum (10-09-2013)
Old 10-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #3313
leon78

Drives: 13 Whiteout
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Same story here....V12's are shot...RS3's just got here today...only a few autoX's left...but moving to FL in Jan....but have to get inspection in Dec. Jesus take the wheel!
GunMetal 16x8+25 Enkei CompE_Cusco OCC_ Kartboy Crank Pulley_Kartboy TMM insert_Koni Yellows_RCE Springs_K&N Drop-In_Eibach FSB_J2 Catless FP_WhiteLine Camber Bolts_NameLess Track Pipe_RBF600_Ferodo DS2500_PTUNING Tuned.
Less parking more racing
leon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #3314
TheRoadRunner

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
quick (noob) question for everyone. my frs is daily driven and I kind of bought the car on impulse not thinking about winter lol so as someone who doesn't have the luxury of having a truck to drive around during the winter, would you all recommend all season tires or winter tires? last thing i want to do is wreck my car driving around with these stock michelins haha

and any particular brand yall would recommend? I've always had Yokohama's for my old cars..
TheRoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:16 PM   #3315
Jrohit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoadRunner View Post
quick (noob) question for everyone. my frs is daily driven and I kind of bought the car on impulse not thinking about winter lol so as someone who doesn't have the luxury of having a truck to drive around during the winter, would you all recommend all season tires or winter tires? last thing i want to do is wreck my car driving around with these stock michelins haha

and any particular brand yall would recommend? I've always had Yokohama's for my old cars..
Switch to winters and save michilins for spring/summer. Like you said, last thing you want to do is wreck it, better safe than sorry. Also, since it's daily driven, you might want to do something to prevent it from salt (especially the underbody). I'm looking for tires as of right now and then going to find some paint protector.

Get a sandbag also for winter

Is there any way we can make a check list to go through for winter for keeping our cars safe?
TheRoadRunner (10-10-2013)
Old 10-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #3316
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Quote:
^^ Exactly Summer tires are all about temps and anything below 60's things start getting wonky and I can tell for a fact. Any margin of error is what I like to avoid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Areddi View Post
All good points here for anyone thinking about what to do. Summer tires when it is cold out can be dangerous.
Good god any high performance rated summer tire is just SKETCHY in the winter. Though I will say my Pilot Super Sports are better in the cold with rain than the stockers ever were. Regardless, running summer tires in winter is a great way to not have that little bit of traction that would have saved you from $2K-10K in damages when you slid into a guardrail.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
kanundrum (10-09-2013), TheRoadRunner (10-10-2013)
Old 10-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #3317
ftc~brz
Done

Drives: WRB BRZ
Thanked 4,936 Times in 2,101 Posts
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Garage
I'm looking for a winter beater now. I would love to hard park it vs. getting steelies especially now.
ftc~brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:11 PM   #3318
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftc~brz View Post
I'm looking for a winter beater now. I would love to hard park it vs. getting steelies especially now.
FWD or AWD?