follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northwest

Northwest AK, ID, OR, WA

User Tag List

Old 09-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #1
torqdork

Drives: RV-7
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Open BMW/PCA HPDE & Autocross Weekend 10/5-6 at PIR

The last open event of the season at PIR, rain or shine and on a weekend so come on out and let's see some twins represent.

Early bird discount for Saturday, 10/5, HPDE, Instructor included if desired.

http://www.oregonpca.org/events/high...s-ed/schedule/

Autocross Sunday, 10/6, in the more spacious and level (compared to South Paddock) North Paddock.

http://www.oregonpca.org/events/?orpca_date=2013_10_6

Free admission for spectators. I've been to these mixed events during Summer and there's usually an interesting, large turnout and great group of aficionados.

I'll be there both days and hope to see you there!
torqdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:45 PM   #2
thehapaone
Wasian Ninja

Drives: 2013 Crystal Black Silica BRZ-L
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
is this noob friendly? and how screwed will I be on stock tires if the track is wet?

Previous Cars: 1970 Chevelle 350 (crashed still have in CA), 2000 Honda Accord Coupe (sold)
thehapaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
torqdork

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehapaone View Post
is this noob friendly? and how screwed will I be on stock tires if the track is wet?
Yes, they have a Novice run group and Instructors available. Select your run group and Instructor preference at signup.

In the last track day Sept. 6th it rained in the two morning sessions. Drivers with slightly narrower stock tires were developing more grip than me on wider 225/45-17 RE-11A Potenzas that are rated as good in rain on tirerack reviews and tests. You'll be fine, it's more about choosing proper line, staying off the slick curbs and gentle on the controls. IMO, one hour on a wet track is worth two on a dry track for improving car control skills. It certainly focuses the senses! Besides, you can always leave the electronic driving aids fully engaged that will keep you safer and only engage Sport mode (or more) as confidence builds.

Their tech inspection procedure is different than SCCA or CCSC. They have a .pdf download to be completed and brought to the event. The way I read it, any competent person can inspect it for you or check their approved shops. Alternatively, if you ran another HPDE type event within the 30 days prior and passed tech and made no changes to the car, tech inspection will be waived. That means those of us who attended the Sept. 6th event should get a waiver if everything on the car stayed the same. I'm waiting for e-mail confirmation from the Registrar about that.

Here's a link to the tech inspection .pdf, scroll down:

http://www.oregonpca.org/events/high...straint-rules/
Old 09-20-2013, 12:33 AM   #4
torqdork

The Registrar e-mailed back that the tech inspection rules are determined by their insurance company and mandatory for all. They're much more demanding than CSCC or SCCA, and tech must be done at one of their approved shops. The closest to me was nearly an hour's drive away. They even put the car in the air to complete their checklist, a little over the top for a 10 week old car I thought.

Then the other shoe dropped that turned into a deal killer. The PCA site says the tech inspection is good for a year but it's actually only good for 30 days. I really don't want to take 4 hours out of my day to get a tech inspection just to run with PCA every couple of months. I'll stick with CSCC and SCCA.

So, I canceled my reservation for both days. Instead, I'm trying to change the schedule to attend the Hooked On Driving event on Monday, 9/23, at ORP in Grass Valley. I'll prolly head out Sunday and make it a scenic drive over Mt. Hood and grab a hotel room in the area to make the early start time.

http://www.hookedondriving.com/detai...gonRaceway.cfm
Old 09-29-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
speedy

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqdork View Post
Then the other shoe dropped that turned into a deal killer. The PCA site says the tech inspection is good for a year but it's actually only good for 30 days. I really don't want to take 4 hours out of my day to get a tech inspection just to run with PCA every couple of months. I'll stick with CSCC and SCCA.
Disappointing about the tech for the Porsche event. I just emailed them to confirm, but will probably have to cancel.

There is a track day with the Alfa Romeo club on Sunday. Looks like it might be a wet day. I'm debating between leaving on the stock tires, or trying my new Direzza IIs.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #6
speedy

By the way, the AR club gives you 6 run sessions. Which is pretty awesome.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:09 PM   #7
torqdork

Wow, I overlooked AROO on the calendar. They have 28 very interesting cars registered so far and the great thing is last day for signup is 10/5 so you can watch wx and decide late if rain is expected. I like rain, my new RE-11A's don't. Plus it's a bargain @ $195 for six runs. Twins would definitely have to get gas at the lunch break. Note the glove and clothing requirements.

http://www.alfaclub.org/Track_Day_Rules.html

https://www.motorsportreg.com/index....7#.Uiah5xaQnGs

https://www.motorsportreg.com/index....B3600BCFE853D7

I was going to the PCA autocross in the North Paddock the same day. Their auto-x requirements are less stringent than tracking, no super tech inspection needed and you can arrive and drive the same day, no pre-registration needed.

http://www.oregonpca.org/events/?orpca_event=4601

Hmm, thanks for the heads up, think I'll be there.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:22 PM   #8
torqdork

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Disappointing about the tech for the Porsche event. I just emailed them to confirm, but will probably have to cancel.

There is a track day with the Alfa Romeo club on Sunday. Looks like it might be a wet day. I'm debating between leaving on the stock tires, or trying my new Direzza IIs.
wunderground is showing only a 20% chance of precip, not bad. If it stays that way I'm in, but will wait until the 5th to confirm. If we run in the same Intermediate group we could compare ZII vs. RE-11A pace if your car is stock too.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...122.48582&MR=1
Old 09-29-2013, 11:20 PM   #9
speedy

Quote:
wunderground is showing only a 20% chance of precip, not bad. If it stays that way I'm in, but will wait until the 5th to confirm. If we run in the same Intermediate group we could compare ZII vs. RE-11A pace if your car is stock too.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...122.48582&MR=1
I'm registered for intermediate, but don't have an instructor signoff on MSR. So they may bump me back down to novice. Will be my fourth track day, but only second in the BRZ.

I'll be interested to see what you think of the RE-11As. I talked to a guy on the last BMW day who claims that his comparable tires got him 4 seconds per lap. I'd be pretty happy with that.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:44 AM   #10
torqdork

I've had them out to PIR. Once I got the pressures dialed in they became grippy, predictable and quiet when cornering and braking in the dry. Not so much in the wet, but it was standing water that was catching most driver's out.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:28 PM   #11
speedy

BTW I just heard back from the PCA coordinator. She said they'd accept tech from any shop. So I'm re-registering; kind of a pain, but a buddy has a shop and I'm sure I can get him to spend 15 minutes looking things over.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #12
WRB-DZA-BRZ
Cookie Monster

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Premium 6-MT WRB
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I might go on Saturday as a spectator, along with my 3 year old crew chief.
WRB-DZA-BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #13
torqdork

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
BTW I just heard back from the PCA coordinator. She said they'd accept tech from any shop. So I'm re-registering; kind of a pain, but a buddy has a shop and I'm sure I can get him to spend 15 minutes looking things over.
That's a change for the better. I gave a link above to the their tech inspection form that might help.

So are you going to both PCA and AFOO track days? The 10 day wx outlook changed for Sunday, Saturday will be the drier day...for now.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...078,-122.65267

Last night I remembered that I already swapped out track pads for Sunday's auto-x and don't know if I'm up for changing back again. Either way, if it rains I'm out. The RE-11A's are that sketchy in rain.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #14
speedy

Quote:
That's a change for the better. I gave a link above to the their tech inspection form that might help.

So are you going to both PCA and AFOO track days? The 10 day wx outlook changed for Sunday, Saturday will be the drier day...for now.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...078,-122.65267

Last night I remembered that I already swapped out track pads for Sunday's auto-x and don't know if I'm up for changing back again. Either way, if it rains I'm out. The RE-11A's are that sketchy in rain.
Yeah I'm registered for both PCA and AROO.. It's going to be an expensive weekend The weather forecast seems to be improving by the minute... I just got some new pads (Essex RC6 and RC6E), will get help this week putting them in (yes, I'm that inept...)

I wonder if there would ever be enough interested folks here to rent out a track for the day. Renting ORP isn't that expensive, and it would be pretty awesome to get a whole track of 86s, with as much time on track as you want....