follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #43
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Not according to some....

No, so the claims made by various players don't mean shit to me.
The only thing that has me thinking those that are saying the heads are good are right, is that typically the ones saying that haven't been trying to sell me something for the valve train. Not that that's at all conclusive, more like a 51:49 chance.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
Dimman (09-05-2013)
Old 09-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #44
3MI Racing
Pro Subie Engine Nerd

Drives: empty spot for an FR-S/BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post
What's a 3MI? The people that make scotch tape? Or the people that don't seem to be able to make a functional website that apparently sells nothing?

http://3miracing.com/

Seems like they missed a finishing step on that piston they display on homepage. Should look like this:

As for the website, I've been so swamped with work without a website, I haven't had time to get the info and pics to my web person. Heck, I've been so busy that I dropped my vendor status as NASIOC. What's up on the site is just filler that she had used for me to preview it.

As for a 'missed machine step'...you can see the machining marks in the Cossie piston you posted
The lighting on that photo makes it stand out. It is smooth to the touch. The 3D crown pistons that I run get hand finished as the 5-axis does leave slight ridges.

As for the FB to FA swap, there are differences and I didn't see the needed changes as worth it 'right now'. Part of me is waiting to see where the factory turbo models fall. I know other manufacturers doing the same. Meanwhile, I'm still moving forward on the con rods and some other components. Other than that, I keep busy with engine builds and my daily grind as a powertrain engineering consultant.

Currently talking with Shawn, the owner of the most recent torched 'flex fuel' victim about his car. Seeing about picking it up as a track guinea pig.

-Micah
'Homemade WRX'
3MI Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #45
Anaxilus
Banned

Drives: They have four wheels
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MI Racing View Post
As for the website, I've been so swamped with work without a website, I haven't had time to get the info and pics to my web person. Heck, I've been so busy that I dropped my vendor status as NASIOC. What's up on the site is just filler that she had used for me to preview it.

As for a 'missed machine step'...you can see the machining marks in the Cossie piston you posted
The lighting on that photo makes it stand out. It is smooth to the touch. The 3D crown pistons that I run get hand finished as the 5-axis does leave slight ridges.

As for the FB to FA swap, there are differences and I didn't see the needed changes as worth it 'right now'. Part of me is waiting to see where the factory turbo models fall. I know other manufacturers doing the same. Meanwhile, I'm still moving forward on the con rods and some other components. Other than that, I keep busy with engine builds and my daily grind as a powertrain engineering consultant.

Currently talking with Shawn, the owner of the most recent torched 'flex fuel' victim about his car. Seeing about picking it up as a track guinea pig.

-Micah
'Homemade WRX'
Sweet, thx for the response. The site actually looks nice, os it didn't look like it was put together by a blind monkey. ;P

The 'step' I was concerned about was what appeared to be the ridges on the crown as you mentioned that had yet to be deburred. I assumed it was either the picture or an machining in process.

I think we are all glad that someone who cares is trying to help out Shawn.

While I have your attention, I was looking at your rods yesterday. Could you comment on your design choice versus say a Carrillo H-beam and other differences?

Thanks.
Anaxilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #46
Kostamojen

Drives: 1993 Impreza w/ WRX Swap + FWD!
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MI Racing View Post
Part of me is waiting to see where the factory turbo models fall.'
I assume you mean the 2.0DIT engines? Those would make for an excellent BRZ swap candidate.
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:35 AM   #47
Snake

Drives: ADM Toyota 86 GT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Any further developments on this?
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:14 AM   #48
Staf00

Drives: SWP DZE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
Also flow. But depending on what's causing the top-end choke on the FA20, could just end up with same power at ~80% the revs.

Problem with DI on the FB25 is no fancy piston domes.

However, the 2GRFSE with D4-S is coincidentally also 94mm diameter. Anyone want to compare pistons now?
So, you're saying if we combined the FA25 shortblock with the pistons from a 2GR-FSE, say from an IS350, we could gain the extra 500cc and retain the D4-S injection? I even checked the spray pattern of the 2GR-FSE injectors, and they are same dual fan spray pattern as our FA20's D4-S injectors, so the 2GR-FSE's piston shape should be comparable to our stock pistons. Would we be able to use the stock ECU and stuff? Is all this even feasible?
Staf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:37 AM   #49
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staf00 View Post
So, you're saying if we combined the FA25 shortblock with the pistons from a 2GR-FSE, say from an IS350, we could gain the extra 500cc and retain the D4-S injection? I even checked the spray pattern of the 2GR-FSE injectors, and they are same dual fan spray pattern as our FA20's D4-S injectors, so the 2GR-FSE's piston shape should be comparable to our stock pistons. Would we be able to use the stock ECU and stuff? Is all this even feasible?
Only the bore is the same for sure. No idea on the rest of it...

This was just an old speculation thread.

Wrist pin could be different. Overall height could be different. Pattern on the piston could be wrong since the CR's are different so position from piston to injector not the same, etc...

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dimman For This Useful Post:
Staf00 (04-24-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 06:21 PM   #50
Staf00

Drives: SWP DZE
Hmm, isn't the 2GR-FSE's compression ratio 11.8:1? That's not too far off from our 12.5:1 compression ratio, but ur probably right in that many other details wouldn't match up. I can only dream of a FA25 monstrosity lol.
Staf00 is offline   Reply With Quote