follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 08-28-2013, 01:48 PM   #99
Sevs753

Drives: BRZ, Canyon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zc06_kisstherain View Post
you didnt miss any step.
1. either washer is defective or worn.
2. you might striped thread of oil pan plug.

i used to use torque wrench on tightening the plug but not on oil pan bolt anymore. i just put enough torque with hands. they won't come off.

recheck washer and replace it again for next change. I would put old oil plug bolt back with washer then see if there is leak. if not, then might be fumoto valve thread is damaged or washer doesn't fit well with fumoto valve
Well, The leak was present before installing the fumoto valve so I don't think it is that. Also, the valve has it's own foam/rubber washer so I did not use another crush washer. I will probably switch back to the original bolt (with a new crush washer) this weekend and see if the leak persists.
Sevs753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:28 PM   #100
Marrk

Drives: Honda Fit
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevs753 View Post
I will probably switch back to the original bolt (with a new crush washer) this weekend and see if the leak persists.

Good idea.

Also, I was thinking that you might use some teflon tape (a.k.a. plumber's tape) on the threads of the drain bolt and/or the fumo valve. Don't know if teflon tape is rated for a hot oil application, but . . . .

Keep us posted.
Marrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:32 AM   #101
afsefo

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just did my very own oil change!

So just got done doing my first oil change EVER!

Parts:
Dimple Magnetic Drain Plug
Prova Sports Oil filter
and
Eneos Sustina 0W-20 Synthetic Oil
Attached Images

afsefo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afsefo For This Useful Post:
FRSapex (09-13-2013), Marrk (09-08-2013)
Old 09-08-2013, 11:50 AM   #102
Marrk

^^I'd like to see a picture of the metal debris (if any) that is on that Dimple Magnetic Drain Plug at your next oil change.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #103
RallySport Direct

Drives: 2014 Widebody Cosworth FR-S
Thanked 1,198 Times in 554 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by afsefo View Post
So just got done doing my first oil change EVER!

Parts:
Dimple Magnetic Drain Plug
Prova Sports Oil filter
and
Eneos Sustina 0W-20 Synthetic Oil

Nice! I ended up using the Idemitsu 0w-20, OEM black oil filter and the Dimple plug! I'm a bit jealous of your Prova filter and Eneos oil haha. :happy0180:

Thanks,
Rick
RallySport Direct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:16 AM   #104
frs10

Drives: tezla
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
info on the dimple plug?

what else needs to be replaced with the oil change?
frs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #105
Marrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallySport Direct View Post
Nice! I ended up using the Idemitsu 0w-20, OEM black oil filter and the Dimple plug! I'm a bit jealous of your Prova filter and Eneos oil haha. :happy0180:

Thanks,
Rick

I am always a little cautious about deviating from OEM when it comes to oil filters. After-market filter failures are an incredibly easy way to blow up an engine.

Do we have any reliable feedback or assessment of the Prova filter?

Thanks.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #106
RallySport Direct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrk View Post
I am always a little cautious about deviating from OEM when it comes to oil filters. After-market filter failures are an incredibly easy way to blow up an engine.

Do we have any reliable feedback or assessment of the Prova filter?

Thanks.
Yeah I am okay with using any of the high end brands for the oil filter, I just prefer OEM as it is well.. OEM lol. We have heard nothing but great things about the Prova oil filters, but I have never cut one apart to compare, although if we ever have a chance to cut on open.. I will I was in a hurry on our last oil change and the Prova filter was throw out so I was not able to test it out.

Thanks,
Rick
The Following User Says Thank You to RallySport Direct For This Useful Post:
Marrk (09-10-2013)
Old 09-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #107
Marrk

Quote:
Yeah I am okay with using any of the high end brands for the oil filter, I just prefer OEM as it is well.. OEM lol. We have heard nothing but great things about the Prova oil filters, but I have never cut one apart to compare, although if we ever have a chance to cut on open.. I will I was in a hurry on our last oil change and the Prova filter was throw out so I was not able to test it out.

Thanks,
Rick

When you finally do cut that baby open, post the pics.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #108
RallySport Direct

Quote:
Originally Posted by frs10 View Post
info on the dimple plug?

what else needs to be replaced with the oil change?
It is an extremely high power neodymium magnet. They are like scary powerful haha, I have a set of their "black hole" oil filter magnets on my desk and if you are not careful and get your skin caught between them, they will give you a blood blister...ask me how I know lol.

Basically they are just a great option for someone wanting a magnetic drain plug, they are super high quality and come with a lifetime warranty. Besides the oil filter, oil, drain pan, funnel and new drain plug gasket, nothing else should be needed.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 09-10-2013, 04:41 PM   #109
RallySport Direct

Quote:
When you finally do cut that baby open, post the pics.
Will do!

Thanks,
Rick
Old 09-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #110
Marrk

Quote:
It is an extremely high power neodymium magnet. They are like scary powerful haha, I have a set of their "black hole" oil filter magnets on my desk and if you are not careful and get your skin caught between them, they will give you a blood blister...ask me how I know lol.

Basically they are just a great option for someone wanting a magnetic drain plug, they are super high quality and come with a lifetime warranty. Besides the oil filter, oil, drain pan, funnel and new drain plug gasket, nothing else should be needed.

Thanks,
Rick

FYI Some folks on Bob the Oil Guy pointed out that having a drain plug magnet could lead to an oil blockage, like so: that super-strength Dimple magnet collects a whole lotta metal, then a bunch of it breaks off and circulates to a narrow place in the system . . . and there's your blockage.

While I like the magnet idea, there could be unintended consequences, especially with a super-strength magnet. Frequent oil changes or frequent oil changes with an adequate-strength magnet may be just as good an option.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #111
RallySport Direct

Quote:
FYI Some folks on Bob the Oil Guy pointed out that having a drain plug magnet could lead to an oil blockage, like so: that super-strength Dimple magnet collects a whole lotta metal, then a bunch of it breaks off and circulates to a narrow place in the system . . . and there's your blockage.

While I like the magnet idea, there could be unintended consequences, especially with a super-strength magnet. Frequent oil changes or frequent oil changes with an adequate-strength magnet may be just as good an option.
That is something to think of as well. And when it comes to oil and oil systems I might take their word over mine haha, but I will still continue to run one and here is why.

Everytime I pull my magnetic drain plug for an oil change, I have a film of metal goo on there, and while the oil filter could easily handle that load, it is less debris getting caught in the filter.

Now if you ever have enough shavings or metal chunks on the magnet to potentially plug up the pickup tube, oil galleys or any part of the oil system, something else is going on inside the engine, and you may catch it before a catastrophic failure occurs.

Also with the Dimple, I am able to pick up hammers, and other large heavy tools with them, I trust that the metal will stick to the plug vs getting swept away in the oil pickup.

Now please note all of the above is just my theories/opinion so take them with a grain of salt I have run a magnetic plug on all of my cars for about 8 years, and I have never had a problem before, plus I just like looking at the particles stuck on the plug to make sure it is just normal wear and tear and not a real issue.

Hope this helps!
Thanks,
Rick
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RallySport Direct For This Useful Post:
chanomatik (09-10-2013), FRSapex (09-13-2013), GT86_PRAGUE (12-09-2014), Marrk (09-10-2013)
Old 09-10-2013, 06:18 PM   #112
chanomatik
Snow Don't Hurt!

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT CBS
Thanked 1,497 Times in 902 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
That's pretty much what my tuner/mechanic said. If there's enough metal being caught to cause a problem, then you have bigger problems to address.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chanomatik For This Useful Post:
RallySport Direct (09-11-2013)