follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-24-2013, 07:38 AM   #29
zephyr69

Drives: TRD FT-86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardus@Supersprint View Post
We could make a valved rear muffler for half that...
As the GT86 doesn't have a valve as stock you need a system that will let you choose between quiet and loud mode.
You can purchase a compatible electro-pneumatic valve (to be fitted on the intake so it'll give you a vacuum line) + switch (or even a remote) + vacuum pipes for less than $ 300.

This will control a pneumatic valve on the exhasut and will allow to between loud and quiet mode at will.
We don't use electrical valve as they are prone to failure caused by heat.

Aso for the design, the loud mode can be a direct pipe, the silenced as quiet as our homologated system.
Both modes can discharge through the tailpipes, to avoid bypass pipe that send the gas under the car as some cheap systems does.

This is for the TT-RS, perfect left-right split in both modes:

The valve is made by HJS (which provide our cats) and has its own heatshield.

This is how the sound changes...

Thanks for the detailed post! Very enticing indeed. I will think about it and send you a PM within a day or two. Btw, do valve systems affect performance in anyway when its opened/closed? Or does it merely affect sound level only?
zephyr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:20 AM   #30
Gardus@Supersprint
Banned

Drives: Clio TCE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The silenced route is still a direct flow silencer so it doesn't affect performance in anyway, actually it's better than stock. The direct route is as free-flowing as an exhaust can ben. Think muffler-delete like Berk or similar.
We always test the system on the dyno in both mode to ensure performance are as stock or better.

The fact is to develop such a system we need time and a reasonably amount of customers willing to place orders before the development start...or a tuner/dealer who is willing to purchase a batch of these and handle sales.

We something similar with a few BMW tuners in Germany and the UK.
We made two systems for Leib Engineering, for the E82 1M Coupè:

And for their E92 M3 GT500

They provide their own control system, a "black box". The interesting thing it that it connects to the CANBUS interface, so it allows to activate the loud-quiet mode through the M button on the steering wheel (or any other button on the dash actually).
Check out the video:
[ame]http://youtu.be/z2B5wANALPk?t=58s[/ame]

The routing, silencer size etc will need to be defined specifically for the room available under the chassis of the GT86 and the sound of the car.
Gardus@Supersprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:32 AM   #31
SigmaHyperion

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Money has differing amounts of value to every person.

Better than half the US, and 99.9% of the people on the planet would think any of us are fucking insane for spending ~$30,000 on a brand new vehicle (especially one with little actual utility) when walking, a bike, a moped, mass transit, a million used car options, etc, etc, etc are all "better" and/or "cheaper" options. But it's a choice that we made based on the value that we place on the vehicle in relation to the value we place on the money we used to purchase it.

Same goes for Exhaust. Or Wheels. Or a Supercharger. Or whatever.

So... putting myself in your shoes, it seems like a no-brainer to me. You've already spent upwards of $25,000 on bits and pieces of, frankly, regular-ol' TRD pieces that anyone can buy. You're clearly trying to make a unique vehicle that aligns with your tastes and desires. To spend another $4,000 for a highly customized extremely unique modification that's as noticeable every single time you start your vehicle as an exhaust is seems to me like something right up your alley. And if money were no object, I'm sure we'd all be doing some equally 'ludicrous' modification to our cars to make it unique because, ultimately, that's what most of us are after to some degree or another. For some it may be a custom turbo, for others an engine swap, for others a widebody kit, for others one-off forged wheels, etc, etc, etc.
SigmaHyperion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SigmaHyperion For This Useful Post:
Ammonia (07-29-2013), D.Scrye (10-02-2013), zephyr69 (07-24-2013)
Old 07-24-2013, 10:00 AM   #32
zephyr69

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigmaHyperion View Post
Money has differing amounts of value to every person.

Better than half the US, and 99.9% of the people on the planet would think any of us are fucking insane for spending ~$30,000 on a brand new vehicle (especially one with little actual utility) when walking, a bike, a moped, mass transit, a million used car options, etc, etc, etc are all "better" and/or "cheaper" options. But it's a choice that we made based on the value that we place on the vehicle in relation to the value we place on the money we used to purchase it.

Same goes for Exhaust. Or Wheels. Or a Supercharger. Or whatever.

So... putting myself in your shoes, it seems like a no-brainer to me. You've already spent upwards of $25,000 on bits and pieces of, frankly, regular-ol' TRD pieces that anyone can buy. You're clearly trying to make a unique vehicle that aligns with your tastes and desires. To spend another $4,000 for a highly customized extremely unique modification that's as noticeable every single time you start your vehicle as an exhaust is seems to me like something right up your alley. And if money were no object, I'm sure we'd all be doing some equally 'ludicrous' modification to our cars to make it unique because, ultimately, that's what most of us are after to some degree or another. For some it may be a custom turbo, for others an engine swap, for others a widebody kit, for others one-off forged wheels, etc, etc, etc.
Thanks for your comment! So much truth in your post I don't even know where to begin hahaha. You nailed it.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:01 AM   #33
projectXTR

Drives: Sterling Silver BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Have you decided yet if you'll risk it ?
projectXTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:22 AM   #34
zephyr69

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectXTR View Post
Have you decided yet if you'll risk it ?
Ordered a one-off quad-tipped exhaust system to fit my TRD rear bumper from Kreissieg along with wireless control. Decided not to choose burnt titanium tips and just opted for normal ones so I saved about 300 bucks. It'll take approximately 1-2 months for them to develop this system for me. Can't wait!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zephyr69 For This Useful Post:
Ammonia (07-29-2013), Chupacabra (08-26-2013), Clipdat (07-28-2013), Kakawate (10-31-2013), projectXTR (07-28-2013)
Old 07-28-2013, 03:37 AM   #35
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,846 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Oh. my. GOD.

It's about to go DOWN! Holy crap...

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:50 AM   #36
zephyr69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
Oh. my. GOD.

It's about to go DOWN! Holy crap...
Lol..I am excited to hear how it sounds like..I hope you guys are too. But let's all keep our expectations as realistic as possible. There's no way it'll sound like those exotic cars..i'll be happy if it sounds better than most usual aftermarket exhaust. I'll update this thread if I hear anything from Kreissieg in regards to the development process. And I will definitely pictures of the installation process and last but not least a sound clip. Just make sure you guys keep your expectations in check so I don't get bashed after posting the vid hahahha.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:12 AM   #37
projectXTR

Drives: Sterling Silver BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Nice to hear. Hope everything works out well for you. Curious to see and hear what they can come up with !

Keep us informed !
projectXTR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to projectXTR For This Useful Post:
zephyr69 (07-28-2013)
Old 07-28-2013, 10:22 PM   #38
Captain Insano

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler RubiconX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
This should be interesting!
Captain Insano is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Insano For This Useful Post:
zephyr69 (07-30-2013)
Old 07-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #39
BRZ?

Drives: 2014 SWP 6MT BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I like the Countach pipes they make...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-xWwiPOxoM"]Lamborghini Countach with Kreissieg exhaust - YouTube[/ame]
BRZ? is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZ? For This Useful Post:
zephyr69 (07-30-2013)
Old 07-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #40
RIPTRD71

Drives: Raven FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Watching this for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootwoot View Post
She's stiff as a goose. I tried yanking out the motor too, that was pretty stiff as well. So.. i'll try the flux capacitor next.
RIPTRD71 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RIPTRD71 For This Useful Post:
zephyr69 (07-30-2013)
Old 07-29-2013, 03:41 PM   #41
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
It needs to sound like the Countach, else you overpaid.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:52 PM   #42
dokterdewe

Drives: an automatic lightning red 86
Send a message via Yahoo to dokterdewe
Please post it with a good decent recording process from standing to driving condition... i really am excited to hear what Kreissieg have for the twins...

If it does make a unique deep contemplating exhaust tone... i will consider one too...
dokterdewe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dokterdewe For This Useful Post:
zephyr69 (07-30-2013)