follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 04:17 AM   #43
Anthony
Weight Nazi

Drives: 13 FRS -399lb, 11 335is, 05 Tiburon
Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,765 Posts
Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Trololol!

1. Automatics: Fast
2. Manuals: Fun*

I would never buy an automatic because I'm not trying to go as fast as humanly possible (not that I could afford it anyway) I'm trying to have as much fun as humanly possible. Going fast is fun to me, but speed isn't 100% of my fun equation. So an automatic just isn't for me.

And I agree with several others on here that a "sports car" must be a coupe. But not all coupes are sports cars. An Exige is a sports car. A Mustang is a muscle car. A sports car, to me, is a car that's primarily focused on going fast in all aspects of driving. Comfortable back seats don't assist with that, so even though some sports cars have them (FR-S/BRZ, Evora), not a lot of effort was put into their designs. And if it's a physically large, high displacement, not-so aerodynamic, usually domestic, coupe that makes a great drag car but not much else... well, I call that a muscle car. Just my personal definitions, but I think they generally reflect the universal defitions of the phrases.

*Matter of opinion

Build Thread | The Venus Project | Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:19 AM   #44
The359
X Rated

Drives: 2017 BRZ Series.Yellow
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suaveflooder View Post
So the FRS/BRZ's are not automatics? Also, what most people consider an "automatic" is something that can be put in an "automatic" mode. Most of the transmissions listed can do that

This was always a "fun" debate on M3forums Technically, an SMG isn't an automatic, but it sure as hell can be driven like one
The 86 transmission is an automatic with the ability for the driver to override the computer presets with the paddles/bumpshifter. Hence, it is a "Manumatic". As the transmission does not have a clutch, it is therefore a form of automatic transmission. BMW's SMG has a clutch, and is therefore not a form of automatic transmission. The two are mechanically very different.

My BRZ
Old 07-15-2013, 04:21 AM   #45
suaveflooder

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,052 Times in 664 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The359 View Post
The 86 transmission is an automatic with the ability for the driver to override the computer presets with the paddles/bumpshifter. Hence, it is a "Manumatic". As the transmission does not have a clutch, it is therefore a form of automatic transmission.
So, why are we arguing again? Just for fun? Or are you bored because it's late as night?

can they both be used as an "automatic?" just curious.... All equally as "boring" to the OP. Sounds like, to him, unless you are pressing a clutch pedal, "it's garbage"

Last edited by suaveflooder; 07-15-2013 at 04:45 AM.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:50 AM   #46
The359
X Rated

Quote:
Originally Posted by suaveflooder View Post
So, why are we arguing again? Just for fun? Or are you bored because it's late as night?

can they both be used as an "automatic?" just curious.... All equally as "boring" to the OP. Sounds like, to him, unless you are pressing a clutch pedal, "it's garbage"
A Pagani Huayra transmission is greatly different from an 86 transmission. Calling them both automatics simply because they can be used in two different modes is a misnomer. Even worse is considering an F1 transmission to be an automatic.

My BRZ
Old 07-15-2013, 04:56 AM   #47
suaveflooder

Quote:
A Pagani Huayra transmission is greatly different from an 86 transmission. Calling them both automatics simply because they can be used in two different modes is a misnomer. Even worse is considering an F1 transmission to be an automatic.
So just to argue then? Get on M3 forums and argue, good sir, and we will be fighting side by side. I, for one, agree with you, and in fact have given the same argument, but that is not relevant for this thread. What the "world" considers (and the OP) an automatic is different, and it will considered to be different as long as M/T are put into cars. Save your breath and troll somewhere else.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:59 AM   #48
The359
X Rated

And most of the world is woefully ignorant of car technology, so who cares what they think? Why use the incorrect terminology if you supposedly know better, even going so far as claiming F1 cars are automatics. That's just as silly as the first post.

My BRZ
Old 07-15-2013, 05:20 AM   #49
suaveflooder

Quote:
And most of the world is woefully ignorant of car technology, so who cares what they think? Why use the incorrect terminology if you supposedly know better, even going so far as claiming F1 cars are automatics. That's just as silly as the first post.
Lol, you are a persistent one, aren't you? Why do care so much? There are other people on this thread who have said almost the EXACT same thing as I have, as well as on OP that likes to pick a fight and you choose me? There is no reason other than you are bored.

Go preach to "the world", or someone who cares. I personally don't. If I had to go explain to everyone why an SMG wasn't an automatic tranny, or all the complexities that make the F1 transmission far from an automatic, I would literally run out of time in my day. It's simply not worth it. You are picking a fight that really ISN'T worth it. In the end of the day someone will always think it is an "automatic." So sometimes, it is just easier to refer to it as such.

What is "silly" is that you keep on "keeping on" even though I've AGREED with you in your post. What more could you possibly want? In fact, I've argued from your position on M3forums countless times to only be told, "it's still automatic." There will always be ignorant people and people who will use incorrect terminology. It's the same thing I've concluded with the argument on M3 forums...... WHO CARES? Are you really ready to waste your life correcting terminology? lol. What a joke! Go do something productive!

Is an SMG an automatic to people who don't own one and don't know it is? Even though it is the EXACT same transmission as the manual M3, but computer controlled...I mean EXACT! It can physically be changed into a manual transmission very easily. Ask the M3 community, and it's an "automatic." Now do I waste my time at 2:19 am to argue?

You are arguing over NOTHING. lol. I've said all I've had to say, agreed with what you have said and you still troll. No more responses from me, good sir. Troll somewhere else...I will no longer feed you.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:34 AM   #50
The359
X Rated

Sure have a lot to say for not caring. It does take two to have an argument, last I checked.

It's a topic about transmissions. I can't say I know anyone who would consider an SMG an automatic, let alone an F1 transmission, unless they were completely ignorant. If you don't want someone correcting you over the topic at hand, maybe stay away? You seem grossly confused if you're taking a correction and statement of facts to clear up misconceptions as "trolling".

My BRZ
Old 07-15-2013, 06:02 AM   #51
5th 86

Drives: 2013 BRZ SPORT TECH
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Another reason to buy the manual...
Dont need to argue what kinda "automatic" you have
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 5th 86 For This Useful Post:
Anthony (07-15-2013), coyote (07-15-2013), luuser75 (07-15-2013)
Old 07-15-2013, 07:26 AM   #52
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.wood0213 View Post
because the only thing available for me was an auto. I like the auto but I would've bought the manual if I could.
I hardly think that is the fault of the manufacturer. Perhaps you were at fault for not broadening your search for a manual or waiting for the dealership to get the car you wanted. I wanted a certain color with a manual and waited for it. If I get a 2014 it will probably (not sure yet) be an automatic and if that's what I want I will search or wait till I get what I want.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:31 AM   #53
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
IndyCar and F1 are manuals, they're just "semi-automatic". IndyCar even has a clutch on the steering wheel for the driver to manually control when leaving pit stops.
Sorry, I think in simpler terms. If a car doesn't have a clutch pedal and a gear shift knob and can be shifted by the flick of a finger I consider it an automatic. My mistake.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:03 AM   #54
infinite012
Banned

Drives: 13 DGM BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
I totally forgot to include this in my previous post:

The WRX only comes in manual (as far as you know), but did you know that the STI comes in automatic?

Old 07-15-2013, 11:35 AM   #55
Anthony
Weight Nazi

Drives: 13 FRS -399lb, 11 335is, 05 Tiburon
Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,765 Posts
Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite012 View Post
but did you know that the STI comes in automatic?
Mind. Blown.

Build Thread | The Venus Project | Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #56
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Closed Thread