follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-27-2013, 09:36 PM   #15
deange

Drives: Black 2013 BRZ Limited Automatic
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exactly what I'm saying jamesm.
deange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:39 PM   #16
charged86

Drives: whiteout gt86 2015 IS350fsport
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
there are other options for cores in the meantime

http://www.holley.com/21310ERL.asp

http://store.max-redline.com/servlet/-strse-309/Detail

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p...b_Oil_Coolers2

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Gred...-STI-2002-2007

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-70297

this one looks tits
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-13950

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-15800
Old 06-27-2013, 09:43 PM   #17
deange

I know. I offered to buy one elsewhere if they would refund me the price of the cooler or let them buy it. They weren't interested and I didn't see the point in spending another 150+ to fix a 600+ dollar kit.
The Following User Says Thank You to deange For This Useful Post:
FRS-Chief (06-28-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 09:53 PM   #18
Amalgamo

Drives: SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I have one of the first Oil coolers they sold, its been in my car since I installed my Supercharger back in February, I'm happy to report no issues with it whatsoever. I did get an email from @PERRIN_Chris a week ago asking me to check my oil cooler, and as I said no leaks at all.
ftc~brz (06-29-2013), Sportsguy83 (06-28-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 10:24 PM   #19
JSC

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
IMO it seems as though Perrin is taking the correct course of action. Pull all stock and send them back to be tested.

I'd rather have to wait on a replacement that's been fully tested then just keep swapping parts and crossing my fingers that it's a good cooler with no leaks. Say they did send you another cooler and it leaked also. How many times would it take before you'd being making posts on the forums bashing them because they keep sending you defective parts?

Their trying to do the right thing here and you don't seem to care. You just want it NAO!!!1!ELEVEN!!1!
JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JSC For This Useful Post:
Pete (06-28-2013)
Old 06-28-2013, 02:21 AM   #20
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,455 Times in 4,157 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deange View Post
I know. I offered to buy one elsewhere if they would refund me the price of the cooler or let them buy it. They weren't interested and I didn't see the point in spending another 150+ to fix a 600+ dollar kit.
If there was a problem with the one you purchased else where whose warranty problem does it become? Perrin's because it was a replacement part for their/Mocal's faulty part? The 2nd vendor where you got the replacement part from? I can understand why Perrin would not want to go down this route. Just from what I have read here Perrin is endeavoring to get this issue sorted out. It sucks that you are having to wait but at least you aren't like 20,000 kilometers away from Perrin like me. My Perrin oil cooler gets fitted next week. Bought locally but I would have to wait weeks if there was a problem.
Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:22 AM   #21
robispec

Drives: Black frs project
Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
I ordered one yesterday not knowing about these issues. Now I know why they are back ordered with no ETA. Not sure there's a better complete kit with thermostat out there.

I'll wait for one that's been pressure tested, I guess.
Robispec....lol
robispec is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to robispec For This Useful Post:
clayrush (06-28-2013), PoWn3d_0704 (06-28-2013), supramkivtt2jz (06-28-2013), sw20kosh (07-01-2013), whataboutbob (06-28-2013), WillRacer1jz (07-12-2013)
Old 06-28-2013, 04:24 AM   #22
cf6mech

Drives: FRS Silver LS1 swapped.
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalgamo View Post
I have one of the first Oil coolers they sold, its been in my car since I installed my Supercharger back in February, I'm happy to report no issues with it whatsoever. I did get an email from @PERRIN_Chris a week ago asking me to check my oil cooler, and as I said no leaks at all.
Same here,...early kit....no problems.
cf6mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:48 AM   #23
FT-86 SpeedFactory

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,253 Posts
Mentioned: 341 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Label has been sent, sorry we didn't have any left to trade you on.

Perrin is working on the issue, it's hard when the supplier of a core component ( Mocal ) is having issues, takes time to work that out. Just unfortunate timing here is all.
FT-86 SpeedFactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #24
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robispec View Post
Robispec....lol
I'd be all about some Robispec but the cooler is likely too wide and the lower oil cooler line fitting will definitely not allow brake cooling hoses between it and the frame rails onward to my backing plates.

If you made one the same width across as stock but still nearly as thick and with a lower oil cooler fitting that didn't impede that space between the frame rails, I'd buy it.
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:47 AM   #25
robispec

Drives: Black frs project
Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
try this routing absolutly no conflicts

if you want picts email me at evo4fun"at" gmail "dot" com

1. Remove the factory rotor backing plate.

1. Install the new rotor backing plate using the factory bolts.

1. Mark out an area in the splash guard, just above the control arm.
Top photo – left side of car
Bottom photo – right side of car

1. Remove the splashguard and cut out marked area.

1. Re-install the splashguard (left side shown).

1. Attach hose to rotor backing plate. Ensure there is sufficient clearance so that the backing plate does not touch the rotor. Factory rotors should be fine, but thicker, aftermarket rotors may contact. In such case, use a grinder on the backing plate until no contact occurs (left side shown).

1. Feed the hose through the new opening (left side shown).

1. Feed the hose up through the engine bay (engine bay left side shown).

1. Feed the hose through the headlight opening (left side shown).

1. Feed the hose downward below headlight (left side shown).
  1. Replace the headlight (left side shown).
  1. On the engine bay right side, there is a sensor that needs to be unplugged temporarily. Once the hose is routed, the sensor can be re-attached.

1. Here is a photo of the hose routing for the engine bay right side.

1. Attach hose to APR brake inlet duct (right side shown).

1. Re-install front bumper.
Installation is complete!
robispec is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robispec For This Useful Post:
Pete (06-28-2013)
Old 06-28-2013, 10:35 AM   #26
deange

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSC View Post
IMO it seems as though Perrin is taking the correct course of action. Pull all stock and send them back to be tested.

I'd rather have to wait on a replacement that's been fully tested then just keep swapping parts and crossing my fingers that it's a good cooler with no leaks. Say they did send you another cooler and it leaked also. How many times would it take before you'd being making posts on the forums bashing them because they keep sending you defective parts?

Their trying to do the right thing here and you don't seem to care. You just want it NAO!!!1!ELEVEN!!1!
I agree that I'd like a product that was tested. You can take one of these little coolers down to a local radiator shop and have them pressure test it. Perrin, knowing there was an issue could have easily had a few tested and kept the good ones on hand to send out to replace the ones that went bad.

Quote:
If there was a problem with the one you purchased else where whose warranty problem does it become? Perrin's because it was a replacement part for their/Mocal's faulty part? The 2nd vendor where you got the replacement part from? I can understand why Perrin would not want to go down this route. Just from what I have read here Perrin is endeavoring to get this issue sorted out. It sucks that you are having to wait but at least you aren't like 20,000 kilometers away from Perrin like me. My Perrin oil cooler gets fitted next week. Bought locally but I would have to wait weeks if there was a problem.
If the one I purchased elsewhere went bad, and Perrin had refunded me the purchase price, I'd be the one dealing with the other company to get a new cooler. Either way it isn't as if that part is serialized or something. Wouldn't it bug the crap out of you if yours does spring a leak and a local store has the exact same Mocal 235 13 cooler on the shelf, but buying that one to get your car running puts you out 150 dollars? On top of it they can't even give you an idea when they could get a replacement to you?

I'd get it if there simply weren't any of that part to be had but that isn't the case.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:03 AM   #27
stockysnail
Just the tip

Drives: 2013 Lightning Red Subaru BRZ Mt Lt
Thanked 1,004 Times in 665 Posts
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
I ordered one yesterday not knowing about these issues. Now I know why they are back ordered with no ETA. Not sure there's a better complete kit with thermostat out there.

I'll wait for one that's been pressure tested, I guess.
Buy a ScanGaugeII for the oil temperature. That's what I'm using and it works great.

The radiators were pressure tested according to the manufacturer, but obviously they didn't do a very good job with doing it.
stockysnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #28
PERRIN_Chris

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to PERRIN_Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by deange View Post
Suba Steve, I would agree with you if the majority of the coolers Mocal sent out were defective. If they were I think we'd have heard about it prior to now. As Chris said "It's true that a few of the coolers that have been sent out have had a leak(most have not leaked at all)". I might even agree with you if they could offer any kind of eta on a replacement.

If you've already sold something and there is an issue you do what ever you have to in order to fix the product that has already gone out the door. At least make an attempt.

Sorry, again for all the headaches. We've been in contact with Mocal, and they have not given us an ETA on known good cores. We don't feel comfortable sending out any more cores until they are tested by Mocal to make sure 100% they are good to go.

We do have a solution, but unfortunately it's going to take some time since our kit was designed around the Mocal kit, and we will have to wait till they can figure this out for us.
PERRIN_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote